Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 03:41 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It is that mob PC mentality that stops progress. What right do you have to think everyone should think like you do? And just because 24 people think in one way and the 25th person has a different opinion doesn't make the 24 right. You don't have to choose to socialize with that person but that person has the right in America to be himself without strife or fear of being harmed because he thinks differently. The idea of PC is something I find scary for any society.

Like that poor football player that doesn't want to stand up for the national anthem. Leave him alone. He is not hurting anybody. And no I don't agree with his views but this is America.

And every time the people on the news asks what I think of something, I just laugh. How is what I think of that going to change anything. Whatever they are talking about usually already happened. Are we going to go back and change what the person did?
The right to free speech allows individuals to speak freely. However if you say something that don't mean we have to agree with it and not do anything about that. A previous poster mentioned societal sanctions (personally something I don't agree with especially economically) and these are just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 03:43 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
In the last three years on city-data, I've seen a political correctness (PC) backlash that people should be able to say what they want. However, I have wondered for the last week if being anti-PC is really just a way to get away with saying something offensive. I mean don't get me wrong, the first amendment gives you and I both the right to say something, but at the same time, it don't mean you can't get criticized or ridiculed for making such a statement. The example I use is that I could say the n-word in a crowd of African-Americans but I would likely get a beating. Just because I can say something don't mean I one, should and two, shouldn't be punished for saying such a statement.

IMHO, PC while a bit crazy right now, is best for the world. You say something wrong and get called out on it, that is the way of the world. Anti-PC, jut seemingly wants you to be able to say anything and nobody can cal you out on it because you are free to say it. The first amendment is best described as you have the right to free speech but it don't make your free speech right.
You obviously have no idea what PC is. It's not just about what you can say. It's more about what you can think and do. It is misanthropic leftist totalitarianism. It is not "best for the world".

Old 09-04-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
You wouldn't be saying it's acceptable to be violent, just because you yourself find something offensive, would you, and that some automatically have that right?

I don't see that those that get offended, should be totally free to be massively offensive in return.
Maybe I shouldn't use beaten. How about this for a better example, a straight person calls homosexuals the f-word. Wouldn't they be within their right to call the party a bigot? I feel those anti-PCers just want to not deal with the negative backlash to their views.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:46 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Why should private citizens and entities be disallowed from calling out others for what they say? That is the other side of free speech, you can say what you want other people can criticize and dispute what you say.

If someone has the stones to say something unpopular then they should have the stones to take the criticism.
Criticism, yes, but not economic destruction (job loss etc.). At least not if you won't allow those people to disassociate from you and live separately with like-minded people. And the Left prohibits that.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:50 PM

13,624 posts, read 10,027,837 times
Quote:
Maybe I shouldn't use beaten. How about this for a better example, a straight person calls homosexuals the f-word. Wouldn't they be within their right to call the party a bigot? I feel those anti-PCers just want to not deal with the negative backlash to their views.
There is a problem, and that is that it's just the use of the word, in any context, that is seen as being offensive, and that any person using these words should accept punishment.

Just an example, and it's your example; F**, is a cigarette, in English slang, and one would say; "I'm just going out for a f**".

Now, should that use of the word be punishable?

You see, the PC police don't allow one to speak English, that's why all the stars.

There's also the problem that if one's from a certain group, and one wants to get off criminal charges, one just has to say that their victim said something un-PC.

I don't see bigot as acceptable either, but it seems it's allowed to be used, even for attacks.

Last edited by BECLAZONE; 09-04-2016 at 03:58 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 03:55 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
PC is censorship plain and simple.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
There is a problem, and that is that it's just the use of the word, in any context, that is seen as being offensive, and that any person using these words should accept punishment.

Just an example, and it's your example; F**, is a cigarette, in English slang, and one would say; "I'm just going out for a f**".

Now, should that use of the word be punishable?

You see, the PC police don't allow one to speak English, that's why all the stars.

There's also the problem that if one's from a certain group, and one wants to get off criminal charges, one just has to say that their victim said something un-PC.

I don't see bigot as acceptable either, but it seems it's allowed to be used, even for attacks.
I know that there are words that meant other things. Gay also meant happy for a long time. I found it funny like many school-age kids would when they read the word gay in a Winnie the Pooh book (not the Disney version mind you but rather the originals) due to the post 1970's definition. The example you gave is a British idiom that is not really relevant to Americans (minus those that are first-generation from England) for that reason. F***** (what f** is shortened from) is also a bundle of sticks too. However that don't make it right to say "Grab some f*****s and lets start a fire." Or what about b****, it means female dog but that don't make it right to say my dog niece is a b**** around my sister(-in-law) or to say she is one. I get your point, BUT the problem is you can easily say something else like say "I'm just going out for a drag," "Grab some sticks and let's start a fire" or "Your dog is a female."

Old 09-04-2016, 04:31 PM

13,624 posts, read 10,027,837 times
Quote:
I know that there are words that meant other things. Gay also meant happy for a long time. I found it funny like many school-age kids would when they read the word gay in a Winnie the Pooh book (not the Disney version mind you but rather the originals) due to the post 1970's definition. The example you gave is a British idiom that is not really relevant to Americans (minus those that are first-generation from England) for that reason. F***** (what f** is shortened from) is also a bundle of sticks too. However that don't make it right to say "Grab some f*****s and lets start a fire." Or what about b****, it means female dog but that don't make it right to say my dog niece is a b**** around my sister(-in-law) or to say she is one. I get your point, BUT the problem is you can easily say something else like say "I'm just going out for a drag," "Grab some sticks and let's start a fire" or "Your dog is a female."
Actually, this post shows how large the problem is. The rules are seen as all encompassing, but then there are people of different generations, or locations that have no reason to think of word any differently than how they use them, have always used them, and were educated to use them. You just cause people to be paranoid about ever speaking, and using words that to them are totally acceptable.

I'll just give an example of how problematic it can be; I was once listening to a radio show, and there was an elderly lady who called in, who happened to use a word, (can't remember what it was), not in a derogatory way, and in a way that seemed totally acceptable. In return for the elderly lady bothering to call in, she got a tirade of abuse from the young radio host.

Personally, I'd have sacked the host, but due to political correctness, this vile attack went unpunished.

I'll wish you well with this one, I'm across the pond, and it's late. Goodnight.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:42 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times
I don't like people using whatever their PC standard of the moment (and it changes constantly - apparently depending on whether the listener wants to be 'offended' or not, or just when they feel like being 'creative' it seems) against anyone else. It has become a weapon .. and not even a concrete, easily and openly definable one .. apparently it is ok now to just think someone else was thinking something in order to indict them in the PC court of PC public opinion.

All people should have decorum, use decent language and take others into consideration when they speak but this PC stuff has gone past the point of ridiculous now. The hypocrisy is also ludicrous. If a black person calls their friend the N word it is ok? but if anyone else even uses a word that is similar, much less the same, they are condemned. I don't condone that word from anyone to or about anyone else - but if it is going to be used, what does it matter what colour one is? Some are 'more equal' than others?

All this PC stuff just reeks of Alinsky-ism as far as I can tell. Let's drop that garbage and go back to being respectful human beings ... ah, but would that be 'PC' with the PC crowd? ... probably not.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I don't like people using whatever their PC standard of the moment (and it changes constantly - apparently depending on whether the listener wants to be 'offended' or not, or just when they feel like being 'creative' it seems) against anyone else. It has become a weapon .. and not even a concrete, easily and openly definable one .. apparently it is ok now to just think someone else was thinking something in order to indict them in the PC court of PC public opinion.

All people should have decorum, use decent language and take others into consideration when they speak but this PC stuff has gone past the point of ridiculous now. The hypocrisy is also ludicrous. If a black person calls their friend the N word it is ok? but if anyone else even uses a word that is similar, much less the same, they are condemned. I don't condone that word from anyone to or about anyone else - but if it is going to be used, what does it matter what colour one is? Some are 'more equal' than others?

All this PC stuff just reeks of Alinsky-ism as far as I can tell. Let's drop that garbage and go back to being respectful human beings ... ah, but would that be 'PC' with the PC crowd? ... probably not.
I don't like black people using the n-word. I couldn't even say it while dating an African-American and she said "You know you can."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates