Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 11:06 PM

50,750 posts, read 24,253,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Curious how you all know what kind of language the Founding Fathers was in their everyday life?
Do you have evidence to the contrary?

We can certainly compare their writings to the writings of some of the gross posters on this forum.

I'm sorry, but they didn't write the way some of you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 05:57 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Well we know what they wrote in their personal correspondence. Even when they were critical of their contemporaries or opponents in public letters, they would use pseudonyms, but even then their word choices were tactful.

Who knows what they said at home?... but PC is not about what you say at home. It's about what's said in public accommodations - workplace or school.
Although Andrew Jackson came pretty close to Trump, but Jackson ran on an anti-intellectual platform.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:06 AM

10,058 posts, read 7,228,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Although Andrew Jackson came pretty close to Trump, but Jackson ran on an anti-intellectual platform.
Yes and most of the Founder generation who survived long enough to see that were disturbed by him. Thomas Jefferson was alive long enough to see the beginning of the rise of Jackson and found him deplorable. James Madison lived long enough to see most of Jackson's presidency and felt the country would not survive the "rise of democracy," although he was generally publically quiet about political affairs in his later life.

Last edited by redguard57; 09-12-2016 at 09:34 AM..

Old 09-12-2016, 09:25 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Yes and most of the Founder generation who survived long enough to see that were disturbed by him. Thomas Jefferson was alive long enough to see the beginning of the rise of Jackson and found him deplorable. James Madison lived long enough to see most of Jackson's presidency and felt the country would not survive the "rise of democracy," although he was genearlly publically quiet about political affairs in his later life.
No doubt AJ being from what would be considered a sub-standard social order compared to those mentioned.

Certainly politicos look at Trump in the same manner being an outsider to the Repub. Party.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:06 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
No doubt AJ being from what would be considered a sub-standard social order compared to those mentioned.
Not that. Not all the Founding Fathers were from "upper" social orders...but all of them respected intellectualism and gained a great deal of knowledge through self-study, such as Franklin. Jackson's populist claim to fame was an abject and deliberate rejection of intellectualism.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:49 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Not that. Not all the Founding Fathers were from "upper" social orders...but all of them respected intellectualism and gained a great deal of knowledge through self-study, such as Franklin. Jackson's populist claim to fame was an abject and deliberate rejection of intellectualism.
I know but AJ stayed in his social level deliberately to court a different vote and present himself a man apart.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:38 PM

1,333 posts, read 882,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
So your throwing the "o" word because I'm merely disputing your opinion? There you have it. This is a very common tactic of those who don't want to be challenged.
Your "arguments" are quite riddled in logical fallacies. A common tactic of the dishonest.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:56 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Your "arguments" are quite riddled in logical fallacies. A common tactic of the dishonest.
Please point out these fallacies. Back up your point if you can instead of throwing around buzzwords.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:24 PM

1,333 posts, read 882,565 times
Quote:
Please point out these fallacies. Back up your point if you can instead of throwing around buzzwords.
I'd be obliged to.
I'll also add that the "offended" comment was intended as satire.

Quote:
Have you read CD? Feminism and most certainly religion is criticized and scapegoated all the damn time on here.
We talked about how this is moving the goalpost before (to which you completely ignored).
You deliberately changed the criterion of the argument to be specific to CD, when in fact it never was.
You actually don't have to look far for examples of attempts to suppress free speech with "Political Correctness".

After the attacks on Charlie Hebdo the Pope said:
It’s normal. It’s normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others

Google Feminism, Google people like Thunderf00t, google "Trigger Warnings", google "Micro Aggression". Google Black Lives Matter. Really, the only excuse for not realizing that people don't think religion and feminism should be criticized is ignorance.

Quote:
So apparently people aren't even allowed to criticize your opinions on a public website like youtube. Yes I've talked about this earlier in this thread. Your opinion should never be criticized or challenged. People shouldn't have that right.
Quote:
So your throwing the "o" word because I'm merely disputing your opinion? There you have it. This is a very common tactic of those who don't want to be challenged.
Psychologist's fallacy
The psychologist's fallacy is a fallacy that occurs when an observer assumes that his/her subjective experience reflects the true nature of an event.
Circular Reasoning
Circular reasoning is a logical fallacy in which the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with

Here's where things get interesting. You presumed the objectivity of your stance, which is "You don't think people should criticize your view" without any sort of support or evidence.
Then you used that to form another logical fallacy; circular reasoning.

So you state "You don't want your view criticized". Then if I don't say anything, you say "aha! I win!". If I criticize your argument, you say "aha! Evidence for my conclusion!" (A little hypocritical, no?)

It's the exact same sort of argument Black Lives Matter and Feminists use.

What it comes down to is that if you make a baseless assertion, you should expect to get criticized. That is a good thing. The idea is that eventually fallacious or otherwise illogical positions will become harder and harder to hold because the holder will be subject to criticism everytime they voice their opinion.

Again, I want to point out that you are attempting to criticize me and I am okay with that. I don't think much of anything you've said holds water yet; but it's important that views are questioned.
If you want to suggest that I think I am above criticism, please demonstrate how instead of making baseless assertions.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:32 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
I'd be obliged to.
I'll also add that the "offended" comment was intended as satire.

We talked about how this is moving the goalpost before (to which you completely ignored).
You deliberately changed the criterion of the argument to be specific to CD, when in fact it never was.
You actually don't have to look far for examples of attempts to suppress free speech with "Political Correctness".
After the attacks on Charlie Hebdo the Pope said:
It’s normal. It’s normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others

Google Feminism, Google people like Thunderf00t, google "Trigger Warnings", google "Micro Aggression". Google Black Lives Matter. Really, the only excuse for not realizing that people don't think religion and feminism should be criticized is ignorance.
So you're saying that I am moving the goalpost by pointing out that Feminism is criticized on CD? Did you ever think that maybe I was using CD as an example of how your theory about the criticism of Feminism is off. It's one of many examples I can draw from to demonstrate that your opinions are not being censored. Oh and BTW, I never said that Feminism and Religion shouldn't be criticized. Talk about moving the goal post.

Quote:
Psychologist's fallacy
The psychologist's fallacy is a fallacy that occurs when an observer assumes that his/her subjective experience reflects the true nature of an event.
Circular Reasoning
Circular reasoning is a logical fallacy in which the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with

Here's where things get interesting. You presumed the objectivity of your stance, which is "You don't think people should criticize your view" without any sort of support or evidence.
Then you used that to form another logical fallacy; circular reasoning.

So you state "You don't want your view criticized". Then if I don't say anything, you say "aha! I win!". If I criticize your argument, you say "aha! Evidence for my conclusion!" (A little hypocritical, no?)

It's the exact same sort of argument Black Lives Matter and Feminists use.

What it comes down to is that if you make a baseless assertion, you should expect to get criticized. That is a good thing. The idea is that eventually fallacious or otherwise illogical positions will become harder and harder to hold because the holder will be subject to criticism everytime they voice their opinion.

Again, I want to point out that you are attempting to criticize me and I am okay with that. I don't think much of anything you've said holds water yet; but it's important that views are questioned.
If you want to suggest that I think I am above criticism, please demonstrate how instead of making baseless assertions.
So you tell me what is the truth of what's going on and your experiences. You've been very vague so far in expressing who is trying to censor your opinions and how they've managed to do it. All I can gather from your posts is you hold ideas such as Feminism, Religion and the BLM movement in contempt. This isn't what this thread is about. After all you yourself have yet to provide any concrete proof or examples of how Feminism, Religion and BLM are above criticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates