Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 12:52 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Actually, no, it is not.
Quote:
conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated
Actually, yes it is.

We used to have a word, "bum" and everyone understood what a bum was. He was the guy who drank too much, or took too many drugs, and didn't do anything for work and more to the point didn't want to do anything for work.

That word involves neither sex, nor race, but it is a politically incorrect word to use anymore. Now we have to use the word "homeless" (or "housing disadvantaged" to use the most insane PC phrase). The trouble with "homeless" instead of "bum" is that homeless implies that their biggest issue is merely a lack of housing and it isn't. Their problems are well beyond not having a permanent residence. We cannot solve the problem if we do not recognize and acknowledge what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 01:02 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,797 times
The biggest problem with the PC culture is that what one person finds offensive , another person might not. Their rights should not end where your feelings begin.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
To call someone a bigot or hater who isn't is bullying. It intimidates people. It has a chilling effect on free speech.
Well, a couple of things here you may well know. Just because someone has more progressive beliefs doesn't mean they are politically correct. Someone can believe in gay marriage, equal rights for trans people and gender equality doesn't mean they are automatically PC. This may actually be something they genuinely believe in and PC doesn't enter their thought process.

So someone who calls someone a bigot or a hater probably genuinely feels that the person they are talking to is a bigot and a hater. In other words they are calling it like they see it which is pretty much what those who are vehemently against political correctness are about instead of using "softer terms"

Those who are anti-Pc have no problem calling someone a loser, or a homeless person a "bum". So why should they get hurt and offended when someone calls them a bigot or hater?

Old 09-06-2016, 02:15 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
In the last three years on city-data, I've seen a political correctness (PC) backlash that people should be able to say what they want. However, I have wondered for the last week if being anti-PC is really just a way to get away with saying something offensive. I mean don't get me wrong, the first amendment gives you and I both the right to say something, but at the same time, it don't mean you can't get criticized or ridiculed for making such a statement. The example I use is that I could say the n-word in a crowd of African-Americans but I would likely get a beating. Just because I can say something don't mean I one, should and two, shouldn't be punished for saying such a statement.

IMHO, PC while a bit crazy right now, is best for the world. You say something wrong and get called out on it, that is the way of the world. Anti-PC, jut seemingly wants you to be able to say anything and nobody can cal you out on it because you are free to say it. The first amendment is best described as you have the right to free speech but it don't make your free speech right.
Uh, no. You shouldn't be physically punished for saying anything offensive. You might get a beating, but that means THEY are wrong, not you.

This is where PC has gone off the rails. Somehow people have been convinced to believe that words are the same as physical aggression. They're not. And while you can be called out for saying something offensive with words, you should NOT be physically punished for saying something offensive.

That's the root of your PC backlash......

Old 09-06-2016, 02:31 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
Quote:
Actually, yes it is.

We used to have a word, "bum" and everyone understood what a bum was. He was the guy who drank too much, or took too many drugs, and didn't do anything for work and more to the point didn't want to do anything for work.

That word involves neither sex, nor race, but it is a politically incorrect word to use anymore. Now we have to use the word "homeless" (or "housing disadvantaged" to use the most insane PC phrase). The trouble with "homeless" instead of "bum" is that homeless implies that their biggest issue is merely a lack of housing and it isn't. Their problems are well beyond not having a permanent residence. We cannot solve the problem if we do not recognize and acknowledge what it is.
Then you don't know how the dictionary works. The definition is, "conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities should be eliminated". Being unable to use the word "bum" for fear of offending someone's political sensibilities fits precisely in with that definition. The part in parentheses, "(as in matters of sex or race)", is an example of two types of political sensibilities that are the most common. The examples provided do not exclude other examples from being used.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:01 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Almost everyone who complains about political correctness defines it as such:
"Codes of speech or behavior enforced by social disapprobation -- not counting those codes of speech or behavior with which I agree."

Example - a certain NFL quarterback is currently being excoriated for his politically incorrect attitude toward the national anthem. I'll bet a pretty hefty portion of those who have an issue with that think they're 'anti-PC'. Except they're not. They're only anti-PC when they don't agree with the speech/behavior in question. If they do happen to agree with it, then they conveniently tell themselves that it's not really PC (in their minds, if they like it then it can't possibly be PC!).

Old 09-06-2016, 03:29 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:

Based upon years of personal experiences, no one I've run into who complains publicly about "political correctness" being one of the major flaws in our society harbors any form of bigotry or hatred within themselves.

What they are mad about is how the shame game has flipped. One example is 50 years ago when you said a woman had a baby "out of wedlock" it put a level of shame on the woman. While it might have hurt the feelings of the woman it served a societal goal of discouraging birth to unmarried women, which was recognized as bad for the woman, bad for the child and ultimately bad for society.

Now the shame is put on the person for using a phrase like "out of wedlock". Instead of discouraging single women from having children, now we practically deify the single mother despite the consequences to the mother, child or society.

That example is a case where "political correctness" is doing real damage to society.

I don't want to hear any anecdotal stories about how great your single mom was or what a great single mom you or how much better your life as a single mom than it would be if you were with the child's father. Every serious study on the subject show the ill-effects to everyone. Progressives have long understood this, which is why Margret Sanger found the American Birth Control League in 1921.
To speak to that particular point, as a black man--a husband, father, and grandfather...who spent time as a single parent myself--it is absolutely impossible for me to speak to other blacks, particularly black youth, male or female, about any problems with unwed births. Impossible--that's "bullying" or (horrors!) judging.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:32 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
The biggest problem with the PC culture is that what one person finds offensive , another person might not. Their rights should not end where your feelings begin.
Exactly, and feelings are not facts. They are often irrational despite the psycho babble that everyone's feelings are valid lol.

So, sure you are entitled to feel whatever you want, but don't expect everyone will always agree that what you are feeling is rational and deserving of being acted upon.

For example, the case at Emory University where students went nuts when someone chalked Trump 2016 all over the campus and then demanded action from the university because their "safe space" had been violated.

Seriously? You want a university to shut down political activism because you don't agree with a particular candidate?

And, the admins did coddle them, promising to "get to the bottom of it and punish the perpetrator" as well as I believe offering meetings or counseling to address their "trauma".

Cray cray.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:45 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
IMHO, PC while a bit crazy right now, is best for the world. You say something wrong and get called out on it, that is the way of the world. Anti-PC, jut seemingly wants you to be able to say anything and nobody can cal you out on it because you are free to say it. The first amendment is best described as you have the right to free speech but it don't make your free speech right.
"Freedom of speech" in the first amendment is really just about freedom of political speech. "Freedom of speech" is not about "say whatever the hell you want", because some things that people say have a consequence. Take this forum as an example -- on this forum you cannot say whatever the hell you want. The moderators are here to prevent a user from saying certain things, because certain things are simply not allowed to be said on here.

And really, the vast majority of people who are opposed to PC are conservatives. I suppose it upsets them that in today's society they can't be as vocally discriminatory/prejudiced/hateful as they would like to be.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:04 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
"Freedom of speech" in the first amendment is really just about freedom of political speech. "Freedom of speech" is not about "say whatever the hell you want", because some things that people say have a consequence. Take this forum as an example -- on this forum you cannot say whatever the hell you want. The moderators are here to prevent a user from saying certain things, because certain things are simply not allowed to be said on here.

And really, the vast majority of people who are opposed to PC are conservatives. I suppose it upsets them that in today's society they can't be as vocally discriminatory/prejudiced/hateful as they would like to be.

Yeah, I'm just looking for license to run around calling people by racial slurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates