U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2016, 09:28 AM
 
2,412 posts, read 1,181,526 times
Reputation: 5719

Advertisements

Ambition matters. The mind matters. When someone, even someone very ill, is truly on a mission they often manage to complete that mission. My own mother, terminally ill with cancer, bedridden in a hospice setting, not eating, unable to do anything other than talk, 'willed' herself to get strong enough to go home to die when told that was impossible. Within the space of a week she had gone from what I just described to being able to get out of bed and walk to a wheelchair, go to the bathroom again, etc. just so she could go home. The doctors finally said ok .. and she was taken home. Within hours of being settled in bed again, she went into a coma, and died the next day.


Hillary wants to be the first female president. I am not sure she cares much about anything other than that. I am not sure she really cares if she does any more than that - being the first female president as her legacy. If she is really ill, she is probably willing herself to get through the election, hoping that she will be voted in as such. Since I am not a big fan of hers, I hope that doesn't happen (being elected that is - I don't care whether a candidate is female, male or orangutan - as long as they are honest) but I believe that she can and probably will make it through the election, no matter how sick she is (if she is sick at all). Whether she wins or not and achieves her prime objective is in the hands of the electorate (I hope).


That said though, I am concerned that most of us really don't know a heck of a lot about the VP candidates, either of them (I started a thread a while back to try to learn more about them) because I do think there is a chance (always but maybe especially this time due to the age and controversial nature of these particular candidates) that no matter who wins the presidency, we may see their VP sidekick eventually having to take over.

 
Old 09-16-2016, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
11,071 posts, read 11,478,495 times
Reputation: 17238
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape cod todd View Post
if hillary survives her health issues and continues to dodge the law and becomes the president but shortly after finds herself in a hospital bed will she be willing to relinquish the thrown?


We have had presidents who have died in office and the vp steps in but have we ever had one that was too chronically ill to carry out the daily duties of the office?

there is precedent for a president to step down when they are one step from a prison cell but what would happen if that person was one step from the morgue?
fdr.
 
Old 09-16-2016, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
11,071 posts, read 11,478,495 times
Reputation: 17238
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Reagan's own son said he saw signs of Alzheimers when Reagan was still in office.
So did the general public.
 
Old 09-16-2016, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
11,071 posts, read 11,478,495 times
Reputation: 17238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Tim Kaine would become POTUS.

If something happens to him then the Speaker of the House or Senate Majority leader would become POTUS.
That is assuming Kaine did not appoint a new VP. You may remember that's how Gerald Ford got to be president.
 
Old 09-16-2016, 09:58 AM
 
Location: New England
1,934 posts, read 1,074,088 times
Reputation: 1685
Why is this in the great debates section and not politics?
 
Old 09-16-2016, 10:53 AM
 
Location: NYC
11,831 posts, read 7,714,980 times
Reputation: 12814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
That said though, I am concerned that most of us really don't know a heck of a lot about the VP candidates, either of them (I started a thread a while back to try to learn more about them) because I do think there is a chance (always but maybe especially this time due to the age and controversial nature of these particular candidates) that no matter who wins the presidency, we may see their VP sidekick eventually having to take over.
When Ronald Reagan was running for Prez, the establishment treated him similar to Trump. They weren't going to give him the nomination unless he picks Bush H. as his running mate.

Tim Keane, Hillary's VP is more of a Republican than a democrat. He supported the big banks, something Elizabeth Warren does not including other liberals that would rather see banks fail than too big to fail.

I think Hillary's health is not a big deal, it's her character of secrecy. You can't be a democrat president that does not open up to your supporters.
 
Old 09-16-2016, 12:23 PM
 
6,829 posts, read 4,422,377 times
Reputation: 11978
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
When Ronald Reagan was running for Prez, the establishment treated him similar to Trump. They weren't going to give him the nomination unless he picks Bush H. as his running mate.

Tim Keane, Hillary's VP is more of a Republican than a democrat. He supported the big banks, something Elizabeth Warren does not including other liberals that would rather see banks fail than too big to fail.

I think Hillary's health is not a big deal, it's her character of secrecy. You can't be a democrat president that does not open up to your supporters.
Reagan served as governor before seeking national office. One could question his competence as governor, or the intellectual gravitas of his views. But at least he had political experience and a political record. He said some pretty provocative things during his campaign, but shied away from championing ambitious and revolutionary executive actions. Every candidate to some extent advocates for change; otherwise, why run for office? But it's not since 1932 that we've seen a campaign where one of the candidates regards the status quo as being thoroughly broken and in need of a radical reassessment of policy.

In the present campaign, I am persuaded that it is the Democrats who are the more conservative and - paradoxically - the more Republican. They have become the party of "morning in America" and of incremental, moderate changes. The titular Republicans, on the other hand, are channeling William Jennings Bryan. Their position is that something is grossly awry, and that intense and expeditious action is necessary, lest we outright collapse.
 
Old 09-16-2016, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna.
11,388 posts, read 6,803,935 times
Reputation: 14458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post

Hillary wants to be the first female president. I am not sure she cares much about anything other than that. I am not sure she really cares if she does any more than that - being the first female president as her legacy. If she is really ill, she is probably willing herself to get through the election, hoping that she will be voted in as such. Since I am not a big fan of hers, I hope that doesn't happen (being elected that is - I don't care whether a candidate is female, male or orangutan - as long as they are honest) but I believe that she can and probably will make it through the election, no matter how sick she is (if she is sick at all). Whether she wins or not and achieves her prime objective is in the hands of the electorate (I hope).
The pressure is now focused squarely upon Ms. Clinton; if she is serious about advancing her beliefs, rather than personal fulfillment, then she's going to have to work very hard to prove it. But if her health is a major factor in the undoing of her own agenda, it's going to be very hard for her to keep her feelings under control.

And let me be the first to concede that Mr. Trump is operating under pretty much the same motivation; but Trump doesn't have nearly as much access to Federal power to do the pick-and-shovel work, (and I believe that more of the public understands this than is often acknowledged).
 
Old 09-16-2016, 10:12 PM
Status: "Bountiful pine needle harvest" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Near Manito
19,287 posts, read 20,169,227 times
Reputation: 13384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You worry too much. Right wing desperate hopes for Hillary having sever health problems just aren't bearing fruit. She'll be back on the campaign trail soon.

Sit back and enjoy the spectacle as she dumps Drumpf.
And then drops dead?

No one will enjoy that spectacle.
 
Old 09-17-2016, 12:52 AM
 
589 posts, read 431,856 times
Reputation: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
fdr.
Woodrow Wilson is the best example of a President hiding his extreme and mind-affecting illness, even probably to the extent of his wife forging his name to official documents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top