Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 05:23 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times

Advertisements

To me, wealth is a matter of net worth rather than salary. I have met a LOT of people who earn huge salaries but, because of the way they live, they have very little wealth, if any. On the other hand, once you have accumulated a certain amount of wealth and you have no debt, you really don't NEED that much income. In my opinion, if you are living where you are happy living, have the cars, boats & other "toys" that you desire, are able to do what you want with no financial considerations AND you have enough money to continue this way virtually forever, you are rich.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:27 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
So often we read negative statements about the rich and it seems to me 'rich' should be something that the person talking should define. Is it just the millionaires or does it have a ceiling yearly salary?
There are several sources that have studied this question. The answer varies somewhat but there is a general consensus that the "rich"/"wealthy" have few or no financial constraints that limit their activities (spending money is not considered an activity in this regard).

The rich tend to do things based on what's most enjoyable (convenient and comfortable); not cost.
The rest of us tend to look at cost and accept things that are less expensive (less convenient or comfortable).

While the rich tend to spend most of their time *not* spending money; they are also free to do things without consideration of what it costs.

For example, I don't know what a gallon of milk costs. (I'd guess it's $2.00.) I don't need to know. I know, whatever it costs, it's a tiny fraction of whatever I have in my wallet.

A rich person would think the same thing about an impromptu arrangement for a helicopter-taxi to pick-up a friend at JFK and bring them to their home in The Hamptons. (It's about $5,000 one-way)

You know you're rich when costs don't limit your options.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:13 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Salary does not equal wealth or being rich.

People can find ways to become rich on a $30k salary and others can blow a $250M powerball jackpot. Wealth accumulation has more to do with spending / saving habits than pure income.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:51 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
I think people have different definitions of "rich". The most common is based on the lifestyle of the individual... big house, expensive car, vacations etc.. Things you can see without digging into personal information. However that individual may be way in debt.... yet the neighbor living modestly may be a millionare

Old 02-10-2017, 11:34 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
There are several sources that have studied this question. The answer varies somewhat but there is a general consensus that the "rich"/"wealthy" have few or no financial constraints that limit their activities (spending money is not considered an activity in this regard).

The rich tend to do things based on what's most enjoyable (convenient and comfortable); not cost.
The rest of us tend to look at cost and accept things that are less expensive (less convenient or comfortable).

While the rich tend to spend most of their time *not* spending money; they are also free to do things without consideration of what it costs.

For example, I don't know what a gallon of milk costs. (I'd guess it's $2.00.) I don't need to know. I know, whatever it costs, it's a tiny fraction of whatever I have in my wallet.

A rich person would think the same thing about an impromptu arrangement for a helicopter-taxi to pick-up a friend at JFK and bring them to their home in The Hamptons. (It's about $5,000 one-way)

You know you're rich when costs don't limit your options.
This is very true. I've had periods in my life when money was tight, like counting-change-to-get-through-the-day tight. Those days are gone. I'm not "rich", but I don't have to count out change anymore (though I still keep a change jar and always will.) I have what I need and then some.

What's funny is that sometimes I still have the old mentality. This past week several lightbulbs burned out. I didn't have any more, plus I ran out of paper towels. I found myself thinking, "Oh no, I'm going to have to spend money now for lightbulbs AND paper towels--and OMG I need shampoo, too!" I was getting a little anxious. Then I said to myself, "Idiot, stop. You have a couple thousand bucks in your checking account, and all your bills are paid. This is NOT a real problem!"

Old 02-15-2017, 07:39 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
TO me,

"poor" is $15K-25/28K

"upper poor class" or "lower middle income" is $30k-50K

"middle income" is $50-75k

"well off" is $100k to $200k.

Rich is $250K ^^^

In my area a nice 3 br house can be had for $75k-100k, SO one is "well" off if making enough to equal one years salary or less.

On is rich if one can afford to save the money out of one year's salary to buy the house outright in one year.

MY "definitions", yours may vary, close cover before striking, mileage may vary, before taxes, do not use iron while wearing clothes, do not use in or near water, do not let children use unsupervised, this bag is not a toy, keep away from flame, please recycle, wieght is by measure, settling of contents may have occurred during shipping, etc etc for disclaimers

Old 02-15-2017, 11:35 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Rich means you can earn $0 and have accumulated enough wealth to maintain your lifestyle for the rest of your life. The amount of wealth you need depends on your lifestyle. You can't live a lifestyle that isn't sustainable on that amount of wealth. There are a long list of pro athletes who earned $100 million in their short careers who went bankrupt.

I'd set the bar for rich at a net worth of $5 million with $4 million of it in investable assets. That should generate about $150K in cash and still grow at the inflation rate. That's not mansions and 60 foot yachts but it would be very comfortable.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:39 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
In my area a nice 3 br house can be had for $75k-100k, SO one is "well" off if making enough to equal one years salary or less.
In my area, the average sales price for a detached home in December 2016 was a little over $728K, so maybe simple dollars are not going to be the best possible measure.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:29 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,876 times
I think 2 -3 Million a year is comfortable. 10 Mil a year I would say is rich.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I consider "rich" to be enough unearned income to be able to control your own time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates