Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 10:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

Advertisements

I am advocating that exams allow the students to use the textbook, at least, as a reference and the tests allow for the expert students to be done quickly and the less expert students to use the entire allocated time. Learning how to research a correct answer is more important than memorizing the information incorrectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 10:24 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
You have to look at education and testing abstractly and not as it relates to work. Speed and accuracy are requirements for industrial labor and some jobs that are increasingly being replaced by machines. When you test a student what is the desired outcome? If student A finished an exam in 40 minutes and student B finished the exam in 90 minutes but they both got 100% is student A smarter than student B?

I can personally think of too many instances where a guarantee of 100% accuracy is more important than speed. Speed is a by product of habituation and comes naturally to many who stay in their field of endeavour. When I was teaching I couldn't help but to feel that testing was more for accountability and less a viable marker or guide of student success.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:33 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am advocating that exams allow the students to use the textbook, at least, as a reference and the tests allow for the expert students to be done quickly and the less expert students to use the entire allocated time. Learning how to research a correct answer is more important than memorizing the information incorrectly.
I have to disagree. Knowing how to find an answer, while important, is not the same as learning. Once you find the information, knowing how to use it is key.

True learning and mastery of a subject is being able to take what one has learned and apply it to a different situation or question. That's what tests should be about not just the ability to look up something in a textbook.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You have to look at education and testing abstractly and not as it relates to work. Speed and accuracy are requirements for industrial labor and some jobs that are increasingly being replaced by machines. When you test a student what is the desired outcome? If student A finished an exam in 40 minutes and student B finished the exam in 90 minutes but they both got 100% is student A smarter than student B?
If you use your computer to perform an intensive statistical analysis that takes it 30 minutes, and then you get a new computer that performs the same analysis with the same results in 15 minutes, is it a better computer?

Old 09-29-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If you use your computer to perform an intensive statistical analysis that takes it 30 minutes, and then you get a new computer that performs the same analysis with the same results in 15 minutes, is it a better computer?
We have more absolutes when dealing with machines than we do with people. How much more would you pay for a computer that accomplished the same task in half the time? We know they both work at 100% percent and deliver the exact same outcome. People don’t always work at 100%. If a Quarter back threw 2 touchdowns with the flu is he not as good, the same, or better than a healthy Quarter back who threw 4 touchdowns under identical conditions? If it was a test which quarter back would you say is better? Speed is a fundamental prerequisite for a machine. So we can’t compare their value with people in regard to speed.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 09-29-2016 at 01:01 PM..

Old 09-29-2016, 01:16 PM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
A valid point, although I wouldn't call using a textbook research.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:31 PM

Once when I was teaching community college full time, at the end of the term when I was about to hand in grades the Basketball Coach called me and told me that he was sending over one of his guys who was going take my final because he was short a few credits to be eligible to play next semester. A polite seven foot fellow came by and I handed him a book and the final and he aced the exam. It took him about two and a half hours. I gave him the A (on the test) and had to contemplate was he smarter than the A student who took the test in one hour but had over 40 hours of instruction to acquire the knowledge.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:08 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Default Should Timed Tests Be Done Away With?

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I believe that timed tests are unfair. I personally do not like the stress of being rushed in anything in my life and being rushed on a test would have a bad affect my performance,plus there are many people who have learning disabilities where they qualify for extra time on tests, as well as those who do not do well on tests who would be helped if the added stress of a time limit were not there. Timed tests do not make education better. I believe the are unnecessary and should be done away with.
As some of my greatest teachers would have said, This post is full of bellyaching.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:15 PM

948 posts, read 921,285 times
If you understand the information very well, you'll be able to answer the questions quickly. If it takes a long time to consider the answers, then the information is not very accessible to you, and may easily be lost. If the teacher just wants to see how well you studied and paid attention in class, then it doesn't matter if you can answer quickly. But if they want to know how strongly the facts are engrained in your brain, a timed test is a good idea.

I recently did some IQ and knowledge testing, and some of the tests were timed. The idea here is to see how many answers you can get in before the time runs up. I think that's a good idea (although perfectionism can slow you down if it causes you to keep double-checking your answers.)

Old 09-29-2016, 08:18 PM

948 posts, read 921,285 times
However, I don't really like the idea of giving people diagnosed with certain learning disabilities a pass to have extra time on their tests. It is good for some people, but there are too many people that seek a learning disability diagnosis just so they can get a little advantage over their peers this way. That's not fair to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates