Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 02:16 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
And #35, well that just seems to be exactly what this guide is meant to be, doesn't it?
No, it doesn't. The guide was meant to open eyes to the subtle ways in which careless words can hurt other people. Presumably, it is still okay to stand against the deliberate and needless hurting of other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 02:38 PM

1,347 posts, read 944,866 times
Quote:
And what if I said .. 'I don't think of you as ... horrible, terrible, awful, rotten' etc. when just echoing what someone else may have said and trying to make someone understand that they are NOT what they have been called?
I don't think "horrible, terrible, awful, rotten" are the adjectives that naturally follow this phrase and hence its inclusion... it's usually something to do with a more personal characteristic: "disabled", "black", etc.

I assumed it was common sense for the most part to avoid these phrases, since many of them can come off as dismissive or condescending, but apparently someone else doesn't think so since they consolidated them all together in this neat list.

The overall theme here seems to be that often it's sufficient to just listen to the other person instead of needing to argue or rebut their experiences.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:40 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,974,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I don't think "horrible, terrible, awful, rotten" are the adjectives that naturally follow this phrase and hence its inclusion... it's usually something to do with a more personal characteristic: "disabled", "black", etc.

I assumed it was common sense for the most part to avoid these phrases, since many of them can come off as dismissive or condescending, but apparently someone else doesn't think so since they consolidated them all together in this neat list.

The overall theme here seems to be that often it's sufficient to just listen to the other person instead of needing to argue or rebut their experiences.
I see your point but I think that despite what it may seem like when one reads online forums, etc. MOST people still these days don't think or speak the same way that college kids do. I don't think we take offense at things the same way the junior crowd seems to. It would never even occur to me that what you say is what logically follows - and I am sure I am not alone.

My common sense would not have me totally avoiding many of those phrases for any reason (but a few of them it would never even occur to me to use because they are obviously inflammatory) .. but that could just be because I would never use them to denigrate anyone (and I would never follow them with what you say are the problem words). Now .. if someone decides to 'take offense' (where none was meant because I guess I am too stupid not to know that what used to be common phrases and were definitely NOT meant to hurt, even innocently, are now deemed something we cannot use any more - gotta love that freedom of speech thing, eh?) there is not much I can do about it. What this list says to me is that I now have to watch EVERY word I say just because someone 'might' decide they could somehow misinterpret or deliberately take offense?

Context and tone of voice have a lot to do with everything too - those are really hard to convey in a document .. because as I hope I illustrated I can use these phrases in all sorts of different ways that should NOT be taken the wrong way by anyone - and if they are .. that is on them, not me I would say .. though of course I will be sorry they totally didn't take it as intended.

I don't go up to people to offend them ...in the real world, I only talk to long time friends, pretty well no one else .. so perhaps this is just not an issue for me. I don't barge in to other's conversations or even listen unless asked to or speak unless asked for an opinion, etc. I guess maybe the world of the young is very different than mine is or I hope will ever be - but it does concern me that kids have not yet learned how to be decent without having to have a list to consult all the time.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:06 PM

1,347 posts, read 944,866 times
Quote:
I see your point but I think that despite what it may seem like when one reads online forums, etc. MOST people still these days don't think or speak the same way that college kids do. I don't think we take offense at things the same way the junior crowd seems to. It would never even occur to me that what you say is what logically follows - and I am sure I am not alone.
We must run in different crowds. I have friends among the "marginalized" groups this list is referencing who hear some of these things fairly frequently, and these are not college kids, they're 30 and up. Mostly up. It gets exhausting for them.

Quote:
My common sense would not have me totally avoiding many of those phrases for any reason (but a few of them it would never even occur to me to use because they are obviously inflammatory) .. but that could just be because I would never use them to denigrate anyone (and I would never follow them with what you say are the problem words). Now .. if someone decides to 'take offense' (where none was meant because I guess I am too stupid not to know that what used to be common phrases and were definitely NOT meant to hurt, even innocently, are now deemed something we cannot use any more - gotta love that freedom of speech thing, eh?) there is not much I can do about it. What this list says to me is that I now have to watch EVERY word I say just because someone 'might' decide they could somehow misinterpret or deliberately take offense?
Interesting, I'd have to work pretty hard to find a context in which some of these phrases would be OK and would pop up naturally in a conversation.

Quote:
Context and tone of voice have a lot to do with everything too - those are really hard to convey in a document .. because as I hope I illustrated I can use these phrases in all sorts of different ways that should NOT be taken the wrong way by anyone - and if they are .. that is on them, not me I would say .. though of course I will be sorry they totally didn't take it as intended.

I don't go up to people to offend them ...in the real world, I only talk to long time friends, pretty well no one else .. so perhaps this is just not an issue for me. I don't barge in to other's conversations or even listen unless asked to or speak unless asked for an opinion, etc. I guess maybe the world of the young is very different than mine is or I hope will ever be - but it does concern me that kids have not yet learned how to be decent without having to have a list to consult all the time.
Meh, it's not just kids who haven't learned to be decent, many adults are guilty of that too (in spite of the fervent insistence otherwise that everyone was so respectful "back then") and now they're annoyed that some of the standards of "decent" have changed.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:14 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,987 times
I don't know how and when it happened, but it seems this country is now inhabited by a majority of people with a perpetual chip on their shoulder, always on the lookout for a comment that will offend, despite its intention. It's going to get to the point where we have a population with bottled up emotions, because they aren't allowed to speak freely.

Toughen up, let things slide and live and let live. There will be lots of opportunities in this life to get your feelings hurt, and you aren't going to make that fact go away just because someone was issued a list of what not to say.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:42 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times
It's not a John Wayne world anymore, Pilgrim. It is not so much a speaker's intention that is likely to draw attention today, but rather any sort of even careless neglect in considering the feelings of listeners. Even incidental listeners. English is a rich and diverse language. It should simply be second nature to avoid the use of words that are well known to cause pain, discomfort, or anxiety among others. Free speech after all is not some all-conquering, unbounded right. Like so many others, the right itself presupposes a responsible use of it.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:15 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
It's going to get to the point where we have a population with bottled up emotions, because they aren't allowed to speak freely.
If people are "bottling it up", that's on them.

This is education. It's obvious just from some of the responses here that the education is really quite necessary.

It's not about stifling speech. It's about educating people that really, what they say might very well not be the right thing under the circumstances. That, even though it may be well-meaning, telling someone who has had different experiences due to their race, ethnicity, country of origin, sexuality, etc., that you "know how they feel" is, in fact, dismissive of their experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Toughen up, let things slide and live and let live.
The exact same thing could be said right back to you.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:55 PM

599 posts, read 401,431 times
Wow now they the supporters of political correctness are trying to use political correctness against those who are tired of this PC culture that has been created within the last eight years. Maybe it's me but I don't get why many want to limit others freedom of speech? Like if someone wants to call me a name I wouldn't care and would go out of my way to support their freedom of speech but nowadays it's just not the same where many frequently try to censor other opinions they disagree with.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:45 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
Maybe it's me but I don't get why many want to limit others freedom of speech?
It's not about limiting freedom of speech. It's about educating people about what their words might mean to other people.

It amazes me how some people simply choose to wallow in their own ignorance.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:24 PM

159 posts, read 136,647 times
I don't see anything wrong with common courtesy. Some folks weren't taught polite manners at home, so now they have a guideline, no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates