U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2016, 11:02 AM
 
15,744 posts, read 13,171,628 times
Reputation: 19636

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I have no particular prejudices against women, minorities or organized labor. I will. however, proudly admit a deep-seated prejudice against a Democratic Party which has been hijacked by aging Sixties-era radicals, and which seeks to turn our nation into a passive, stagnant, class-conscious society modeled upon Europe, killing the rebelliousness and distrust of authority which has always been central to the American character in the process.

For that much, I will offer no apologies whatsoever.
Yeah! Those "60s era radicals" such authoritarians!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2016, 06:50 PM
 
1,039 posts, read 1,492,008 times
Reputation: 1573
[quote=brownbagg;45829559]text books are always written on the winner side of history you will never hear of the loser side. Today text books are claiming that obama was the greatest president ever.[/quote]
Not disputing what you say but please name a textbook (and publisher) that states this?
I have never seen a textbook make a claim like this about a current president.
BTW: The History textbooks I see in schools today were written BEFORE Obama became President.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 10-15-2016 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2016, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
4,861 posts, read 3,517,391 times
Reputation: 3406
You must know that the very concept "citizenship" is passť; grotesque; reactionary. To moderns, and liberals in particular, the sooner the word dies, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2016, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
4,861 posts, read 3,517,391 times
Reputation: 3406
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I wand to debunk -- to some extent -- your premise that the American education system is "dominated by the teachers' unions".

In my career, early on I taught in 3 districts in New York State, and I wasn't even aware of a teacher's union doing anything.

Then I taught for about 7 years in Maryland, where I was a building rep for 2 years. Except for annual contract negotiations at the district level, our union was not influential within individual schools.

Then, where I was an administrator in Virginia, there was very little influence of "unions", because it's a right-to-work state. For example in approximately 20 years of being an administrator there, I got a complaint from the union ONCE. And that was immediately dismissed by the assistant superintendent and the teacher got transferred. Roughly half the states are RTW states.

I'm not saying that teacher unions have no influence. They do. But it is not to the extent that you think it is. You're intentionally -- or perhaps unintentionally -- spewing the party/conservative line -- you did it twice above -- the all-consuming power of the unions and political correctness.
I was an NEA rep, and must say there is much truth in his accusation. The unions have near total control over education. It happens a variety of ways: by controlling teacher education, to curriculum in the school, to warding off disciplinary measures, to political campaigns.
Close to half the legislators in my state over the last thirty years have been teachers or affiliated occupations. Do you see how much clout they bring to bear on state education??

Last edited by maineguy8888; 10-15-2016 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2016, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
4,861 posts, read 3,517,391 times
Reputation: 3406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Compare and contrast to old movies of little Chinese children all standing and waving their copies of Chairman Mao's "Little Red Book" on demand.
Yes that's exactly right: asking people to simply stand for the anthem or pledge is equivocal to the Cultural Revolution....
What is ironic about your propagandist sophistry is that most Americans are too poorly-educated and ignorant to recognize it for what it is. They know nothing of either Mao or propaganda. But your line sure SOUNDS good! And so some people will swallow it.
The miseducation and ignorance is completely intentional and by design, of course. It's a lot easier to control a population when it's dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2016, 08:08 PM
 
2 posts, read 839 times
Reputation: 14
I'm a non-religious very active outdoorsman who currently resides in a suburb of Salt Lake City Utah. While most believe Utah is a red bleeding state, you would be surprised. People have seemed to migrate to Utah for 4 different reasons. First and historically the main reason is religion. Second is Utah's limitless opportunities for outdoor life and its world class mountain ranges, deserts, canyon county including 5 National Parks all tucked together in Southern Utah alone. Third is the overcrowded population of California migrating east into many states, and finally jobs. Utah has an awesome economy, low cost of living and good wages. Many don't know the ongoing debate and flat out strife between those of the predominant religion and those who don't believe or practice it. Yes, Utah has many many non Mormons. Now the issue. Mormons in Utah are pretty easy to distinguish from the rest after you've been here awhile. Just their dress, hair, vehicles, speech among others. Overall, I must say Mormons are wonderful people and have a history of service and helping others. That said, Mormons love to try to recruit non-members to their faith, and they do this successfully around the world everyday. But in Utah with such a concentration on members and non-members the debate gets much more involved. Everyone knows when your driving on a mountain road and see someone stuck or in distress, it's mountain etiquette to stop and help no matter what. However, I was recently in such a predicament where my ATV off road vehicle went off the road into a tree next to the road. I was okay as I dove off right before, but dirty and scrapped up. As the first vehicle came up (a 4 door SUV), they slowed down, windows down and whispering to each other and quickly took off. I was beside myself. I couldn't believe it. Then a side by side came by. Looked like a father and son and they hit the gas too. Okay? The next truck stopped and before long 7 or 8 vehicles stopped to help and with all the minds together got my vehicle towed back to the road and she started right up. A few cool dents and scratches, but I was safe and strangers helped me out as they should have. I shared my story with the group how the first two vehicles just drove off. A member of the group who stopped pointed out it may be because of the shirt I was wearing. I only pack old stuff for trips like this but noticed my shirt said "California knows how to party" and had a drawing of the California Bear holding up a beer. The individual who pointed this out did mention "I am a Mormon myself, and help to anyone in need comes first as it would be a sin to drive by, plus I don't care what religion you are or if you drink, but unfortunately, many from my faith feel it's wrong to assist others they know are not Mormon and your shirt makes it obvious you're not. I was happy and hurt inside. What if the other vehicles turned off or never passed me? Glad I had warm clothes, a lighter and extra water. In Utah almost all Mormons are politically conservative. Non Mormons here either don't care about politics or are a mix of both. Political debates here only start out as religious ones. I vote for person and values, not party affiliation. But next time I am in the mountains and I see someone stuck sporting a BYU athletic shirt (basically stating they're Mormon). I will stop immediately and give them as much help as I possibly can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2016, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna.
11,367 posts, read 6,786,875 times
Reputation: 14412
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Yeah! Those "60s era radicals" such authoritarians!
They defined their own morality via the contradictory and self-serving pretzel logic that devolved into "Political Correctness" (and still do to this day): and shout down their opposition in the same manner common to Nazis, Stalinists, Fundamentalists and other peddlers of dogma. What better definition of Fascism can be provided?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-15-2016 at 10:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2016, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna.
11,367 posts, read 6,786,875 times
Reputation: 14412
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Interesting how easily you dismiss the stain of slavery.
Slavery was hardly unique to the American South; it existed throughout history, survived among the sheikhdoms of the Persian Gulf until the turn of the Twentieth Century. Its prolongation in the South can be attributed only to the circumstance of a one-time supply of virgin cotton-lands, and the rapidly-rising value of all self-supporting labor would have rendered it uneconomical in any case. Those are facts upon which all economists beyond the usual suspects in deep Left Field are in agreement.

The Civil War was fought mostly (but contrary to pop wisdom, not exclusively) over slavery, ended slavery a few years earlier than would otherwise been the case, and with crony capitalists on both sides profiting -- or attempting to -- but was it worth the cost?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-15-2016 at 10:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2016, 10:56 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,272 posts, read 10,510,884 times
Reputation: 11848
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I have no particular prejudices against women, minorities or organized labor. I will. however, proudly admit a deep-seated prejudice against a Democratic Party which has been hijacked by aging Sixties-era radicals, and which seeks to turn our nation into a passive, stagnant, class-conscious society modeled upon Europe, killing the rebelliousness and distrust of authority which has always been central to the American character in the process.

For that much, I will offer no apologies whatsoever.
So did your citizenship classes lead you to volunteer for service in Vietnam? Because your extended bio skipped over that big life event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2016, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
8,874 posts, read 12,917,566 times
Reputation: 28957
Where did citizenship go? Apparently the same place etiquette went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top