Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 02:29 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, isn't that easy to say from your armchair and lifetime experience as a white guy. Some day your life, or a friend or loved one's life, just might depend on the expertise of someone like the women in the article, and on the ignorance and prejudice of the people preventing the experts from saving that life.

I served in the army with a lot of black men. I worked on the railroad with a lot of black people. I have been on this planet for 66 years. I have interrelated with, I am willing to bet,a lot more people of different cultures and races than you have. I have seen our society evolve from the racism of the 50's to the progress that has been made to this day. It is my perception this woman was snubbed more for her age and gender than race.From what I witnessed, and worked against,years ago to today..........I see very little racism. While we are at it.........in those years I have seen Blacks be just as racist as you perceive "whites" to be........

Old 10-17-2016, 04:12 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Uh...no. The airlines are required to confirm the person giving medical attention is qualified. The black doctor didn't have any documentation. If you were the ill person, would you want someone unqualified working on you?...or would you sue the airline for letting someone unqualified working on you?

This was my first thought as well. I don't know that I believe this woman's story. There's no video, only her word. Should the airline give any passenger access to a sick person? I don't know, I never thought about this before. I think the answer is no. I'm guessing that this OBGYN did something to make the airline staff suspicious... but of course the good doctor will never admit that, so we don't really know what happened. In all probability it had nothing to do with the fact that the doctor is black.

It reminds me of stories that claim apartment owners refuse to permit tenants to fly the American flag... when in truth it is the FLAGPOLE that isn't permitted. It's a spin, and people use it all the time to spin the truth their way.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:38 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I served in the army with a lot of black men. I worked on the railroad with a lot of black people. I have been on this planet for 66 years. I have interrelated with, I am willing to bet,a lot more people of different cultures and races than you have. I have seen our society evolve from the racism of the 50's to the progress that has been made to this day. It is my perception this woman was snubbed more for her age and gender than race.From what I witnessed, and worked against,years ago to today..........I see very little racism. While we are at it.........in those years I have seen Blacks be just as racist as you perceive "whites" to be........
What a cogent argument - you've seen no racism therefore it cannot exist in any form, anywhere! You must be omniscient!

Frankly I don't care if the reaction to her is due to race, or gender, or age. Also, that's only 1 of 9 cases cited here on KevinMD:

Female physicians told to get out of the way during emergencies as patients nearly die

Old 10-17-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What a cogent argument - you've seen no racism therefore it cannot exist in any form, anywhere! You must be omniscient!

Frankly I don't care if the reaction to her is due to race, or gender, or age. Also, that's only 1 of 9 cases cited here on KevinMD:

Female physicians told to get out of the way during emergencies as patients nearly die
Where did I say I had not seen racism? In my opinion rejection of anyone else's experience or opinion is part of the problem we face with race issues today .

Old 10-17-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Where did I say I had not seen racism? In my opinion rejection of anyone else's experience or opinion is part of the problem we face with race issues today .
Why does it matter if other races are racist? How does that absolve anyone? That's the argument of an 8 year old - "JIMMY did it too!"

Old 10-17-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

Quote:
You said "From what I witnessed, and worked against,years ago to today..........I see very little racism. " So you just expressed yourself very badly here? You ACTUALLY meant that based on what you've seen, THIS did not fit that definition? Maaaaaybe...you need to be clearer...and even then I'm not convinced

And then excusing the racism of whites and absolving them because others are also racist? Ridiculous.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:18 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,873 times
How about this personal story from several years back. My friend, a graduate of UCLA medical school, who happens to be Black was in his second year of residency in AZ. The residents were doing their rounds and stopped to discuss a patient in one of the wards. As my friend was leading the case discussion beside the patient bed, the elderly patient, coming out of anesthetics looked at my Black friend and actually began to demand a White doctor. My friend was flabbergasted and actually taken a back a bit. The resident coordinator came along and talked with the patient why she did not want the "Black doctor" there. She said in a very hurtful and most insensitive tone " I just prefer to have a White doctor, that is all"

My word. It is stories like this that would want you to just get up and shake the patient, what is wrong with some people.

Come on now, if you are sick, then stop the hissy fits and be glad you have a doctor to help you. Imagine if these patients were in the third world, what kind of treatment would they get?

Old 10-17-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
How about this personal story from several years back. My friend, a graduate of UCLA medical school, who happens to be Black was in his second year of residency in AZ. The residents were doing their rounds and stopped to discuss a patient in one of the wards. As my friend was leading the case discussion beside the patient bed, the elderly patient, coming out of anesthetics looked at my Black friend and actually began to demand a White doctor. My friend was flabbergasted and actually taken a back a bit. The resident coordinator came along and talked with the patient why she did not want the "Black doctor" there. She said in a very hurtful and most insensitive tone " I just prefer to have a White doctor, that is all"

My word. It is stories like this that would want you to just get up and shake the patient, what is wrong with some people.

Come on now, if you are sick, then stop the hissy fits and be glad you have a doctor to help you. Imagine if these patients were in the third world, what kind of treatment would they get?

Actually Doctors in the Philippines are very much on par with ours here.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:09 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Quote:

How many years ago? Affirmative Action has everything to do with pushing qualified "Europeans" aside, and promoting less qualified people of color, just to "balance out the wrongs". So, it isn't necessarily racism on that woman's part. She no doubt knew, as I know, about the "qualifications" of some professional people of color.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
This is the definition of a bigot: a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.
That would be a text-book definition of a Liberal.

A bigot is one who holds a position based on false beliefs.

Quote:
And if the patient had been female and demanded a male doctor? Or what if a Black patient demanded a Black doctor?

You shouldn't assumed it's based on bigotry or racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates