Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 07:02 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,666 times

Advertisements

I think if we were to replace the word minority with disabled, we'd better understand the point the OP was making. I'm not saying minorities are inferior or disabled, but I think the point (although true) I'm trying to make is offense when using minorities. I had a neighbor who was "disabled". I don't know what his disability was as I didn't care for him. He was elderly and able to walk (without a cane or any device) and seemed to have all mental capabilities. He didn't work and was getting disability. He had the disabled sign on his car. Anyway, he had a drive away. The way it worked out, you could park in front of his house without getting into/blocking his drive way. People did this. He felt since he was disabled, he would could pick and chose who did so. I did it one time, not knowing him well at the time, he put a note on my car. Saying if I parked there again, we have to have a payment system or he would call the cops on me. I saved the note and found other places to park. As I had a feeling this was something he did. Legally, he had no grounds to do this. He did it to someone. Who I guess didn't care if the police were involved. When the person came to get their car, the police were involved and I came over and gave my note. Despite him being disabled, he legally couldn't stop people from parking in front of his home because he had a driveway. Guess what he did? He called zoning to front of his house zoned off as disabled parking only. This was about 3 or 4 years ago. Where does he park? In his drive way. It was just to be spiteful. I feel minorities do these sort of things all the time when we treat them as equals. For example, where I live, we have free full day preschool. Usually all of the children get a spot. Some years a few might only get half day. It's never the nonwhite kids who get the half day spots. If you're a making the same salary as a white, black, Hispanic, Arab, or Asian why should race tie into it? To me that's wanting to be treated special. The child is the same as mine, but I'm nonwhite so my child get the spot.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:01 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
MLK got what he wanted with the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act. The problem was, legislation did not change minds overnight. They supposedly (and legally) had their equal rights but were not treated as such.

Minorities are STILL not treated equally, most notably in their dealings with law enforcement and within the justice system. There are also a lot of subtle aspects that show racism is alive and well, and that the best kind of American to be is still a white male with money. That's the problem.

As a white male with money, I'd like to thank America for making my life easier.

To put this into perspective, about half the times I've dealt with police, they said "excuse me," or "sorry to pull you over, but you were doing XXX." The other times they just gave me a citation and sent me on my way, barely taking 5 minutes. When I go through border patrol crossings, no one ever asks if I'm American or not. I remember one time on a greyhound going north from south Texas that the Border Patrol agent smiled and laughed when I tried to show him my passport... but scrutinized the documents and was rude to the poor hispanic people also on the bus.
And I bet that you didn't speak disrespectfully to the officers, or get out of the car when told to remain seated, or make a run for it.

As an Anglo (or African-American, or Asian, or any other obviously non-Hispanic person), there would be no reason to check your passport when you pass through an in-country checkpoint. If the border patrol is only looking for Mexicans and Central American's who are in this country illegally (and they make no pretense of any other purpose), why would they need to check you?

Let us know when you are just waved through at the actual border without showing your papers and answering citizenship questions. THAT would be some powerful white privilege.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:33 AM

98 posts, read 145,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I think if we were to replace the word minority with disabled, we'd better understand the point the OP was making. I'm not saying minorities are inferior or disabled, but I think the point (although true) I'm trying to make is offense when using minorities. I had a neighbor who was "disabled". I don't know what his disability was as I didn't care for him. He was elderly and able to walk (without a cane or any device) and seemed to have all mental capabilities. He didn't work and was getting disability. He had the disabled sign on his car. Anyway, he had a drive away. The way it worked out, you could park in front of his house without getting into/blocking his drive way. People did this. He felt since he was disabled, he would could pick and chose who did so. I did it one time, not knowing him well at the time, he put a note on my car. Saying if I parked there again, we have to have a payment system or he would call the cops on me. I saved the note and found other places to park. As I had a feeling this was something he did. Legally, he had no grounds to do this. He did it to someone. Who I guess didn't care if the police were involved. When the person came to get their car, the police were involved and I came over and gave my note. Despite him being disabled, he legally couldn't stop people from parking in front of his home because he had a driveway. Guess what he did? He called zoning to front of his house zoned off as disabled parking only. This was about 3 or 4 years ago. Where does he park? In his drive way. It was just to be spiteful. I feel minorities do these sort of things all the time when we treat them as equals. For example, where I live, we have free full day preschool. Usually all of the children get a spot. Some years a few might only get half day. It's never the nonwhite kids who get the half day spots. If you're a making the same salary as a white, black, Hispanic, Arab, or Asian why should race tie into it? To me that's wanting to be treated special. The child is the same as mine, but I'm nonwhite so my child get the spot.
While this makes sense, this is the exact caveat that we have discussing race in this country. No one is trying to steal or take anyone's spot in daycare, college, or whatever. There is lots of data that shows various discrepancies across education, business, and many other industries and life situations that point to "a reason" why minorities and people of color are disadvantaged in many aspects because of how our country was constructed and built. Like, yes, I can actually follow the logic and feeling involved in your point of view and I can somewhat understand your view, but that's what frustrating when talking about race. I think it's a simple fact that you have a bunch of people saying something is wrong with how things are and the smaller group who's benefitting the most from everything saying it's not. To me that just points to things being a little askew. I mean, also a lot of things boil down to culture and how "American" culture is essentially White culture and being diluted/broken down, but that's a whole different thread for a whole different time.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:17 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,016,633 times
The point I would like to make is that some will bray and bray about Holy America and all men being created equal, then act (and post) to the very opposite extreme.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:07 AM

777 posts, read 881,278 times
Eventually, people of color will be the majority in the U.S. and white
people will be the minority so this topic will be irrelevant at that point.

To answer the topic question, a lot of A.A. agree with Malcolm X:
"Integrate with the Devil? Are you serious?".

Old 10-29-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Eventually, people of color will be the majority in the U.S. and white
people will be the minority so this topic will be irrelevant at that point.
While things could be pushed back if immigration rates were to slow dramatically, current demographics note that non-Hispanic whites are already a minority of the population under the age of five, and that the population under-18 will be majority non-white by the early 2020s. Non-Hispanic whites will become a minority o the population as a whole at some point in the 2040s, and no such subgroup will ever be capable of becoming a majority again.

To suspect however that the topic will become irrelevant at that point would I think be somewhat naive. Bogus memes of white superiority echo all across and up and down our crooked culture. Some are apt to cling to such things for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
To answer the topic question, a lot of A.A. agree with Malcolm X:
"Integrate with the Devil? Are you serious?".
"Be Like Mike!" was just an advertising slogan. No Americans were ever endowed by their Creator with a need to be like anyone else in particular.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:33 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Here's the underlying issue I have with this thread...and with many threads here on City-Data: who says everything is either/or? Why does one have to be all in "our culture" or all out of "our culture"? Is that mentioned somewhere in the Constitution?

Old 10-30-2016, 04:49 PM

9 posts, read 11,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
As an Anglo (or African-American, or Asian, or any other obviously non-Hispanic person), there would be no reason to check your passport when you pass through an in-country checkpoint. If the border patrol is only looking for Mexicans and Central American's who are in this country illegally (and they make no pretense of any other purpose), why would they need to check you?
So, you're in favor of racial profiling? You do know that non-Hispanics can be illegal aliens too, right?

Old 10-31-2016, 10:01 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
While things could be pushed back if immigration rates were to slow dramatically, current demographics note that non-Hispanic whites are already a minority of the population under the age of five, and that the population under-18 will be majority non-white by the early 2020s. Non-Hispanic whites will become a minority o the population as a whole at some point in the 2040s, and no such subgroup will ever be capable of becoming a majority again.

To suspect however that the topic will become irrelevant at that point would I think be somewhat naive. Bogus memes of white superiority echo all across and up and down our crooked culture. Some are apt to cling to such things for quite some time.

"Be Like Mike!" was just an advertising slogan. No Americans were ever endowed by their Creator with a need to be like anyone else in particular.

How do you see this country as existing when this happens - socially, economically, culturally? Especially in the global economy.

Will this country and its occupants exist in a balkanized state, or led under a Hispanic majority? (Or whatever racial group gains numerical and political superiority)

Or will this country completely dissolve into smaller separate countries?

Old 10-31-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
How do you see this country as existing when this happens - socially, economically, culturally? Especially in the global economy.
I don't foresee any actual difficulties. Whiners, yes. Difficulties, no.

Quote:
Will this country and its occupants exist in a balkanized state, or led under a Hispanic majority? (Or
whatever racial group gains numerical and political superiority)
You may have missed the part about how "no such subgroup will ever be capable of becoming a majority again." Whites will simply become members of a minority -- just like everybody else.

Quote:
Or will this country completely dissolve into smaller separate countries?
I'm sure there will always be some who live in a cabin in the mountains of Montana. I don't expect things to go much further than that.

Last edited by Pub-911; 10-31-2016 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates