Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 01:44 PM

531 posts, read 382,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
As an ex correctional officer if they say NO they get written up and can be placed on lock down. What alot of prisons do now is if one prisoner says NO to work they lock the WHOLE prison down(yes its true)they do that so other prisoners can beat him up,so now prisoners have no choice but to say yes due to other prisoners will harm him physically.Its how chain gang works,its a dark dark world..
Sounds terrible. Its a good thing all of that is 100% avoidable by simply not committing crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 02:20 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,659,516 times
I think that any production from prisoner labor only partially offsets the cost of housing, feeding, guarding ect. I see no problem in having able bodied prisoners perform manual labor as part of their punishment.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:16 PM

468 posts, read 547,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of virtue View Post
Sounds terrible. Its a good thing all of that is 100% avoidable by simply not committing crimes.
really? I'm all for not committing crimes, thing is one group commits a lot of crimes but never gets jailed because the police refuses to "profile" their communities and schools looking for crimes committed

Old 12-22-2016, 05:16 PM

16,059 posts, read 10,652,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I think that any production from prisoner labor only partially offsets the cost of housing, feeding, guarding ect. I see no problem in having able bodied prisoners perform manual labor as part of their punishment.
By paying a minimal wage for their work, the inmates are not deemed to be indigent and they have money to purchase basic needs (toothpaste, etc). The state would have to provide all of those basic items if they were considered indigent. It's essentially a paper chase but there is some benefit derived from the inmate labor.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:23 AM

34,752 posts, read 16,767,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
By paying a minimal wage for their work, the inmates are not deemed to be indigent and they have money to purchase basic needs (toothpaste, etc). The state would have to provide all of those basic items if they were considered indigent. It's essentially a paper chase but there is some benefit derived from the inmate labor.
Why should the people have to provide for the upkeep of criminals?

Old 11-20-2019, 04:21 AM

18,927 posts, read 14,111,175 times
You have a choice with a convicted felon :
_ Capital punishment
or
_ Exile (via prison system)

Back when the government was poor and couldn't afford long term incarceration, it was pretty cut and dried. Commit a felony, suffer death. Steal a horse, get hung. Rustle cattle, get hung. Shoot someone not in self defense, get hung.

Along came prison reform seeking to change from harsh capital punishment to long term incarceration. . . but at who's expense? Thus we have "prison labor" reducing the cost to keep these convicts in exile. If you ban prison labor, you're shifting the cost back to the government and the taxpayer. Which will put more pressure on cost cutting and new abuses.

Old 11-26-2019, 03:36 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,588,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of virtue View Post
Sure, if you ignore the fact that innocent people get sent to prison all the time, and that even among guilty prisoners the length of imprisonment varies unjustly according to racial biases.

Also ignore the private prison pipeline of private prisons bribing youth court judges to throw kids in prison unfairly.

Old 11-26-2019, 03:39 PM

34,752 posts, read 16,767,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Sure, if you ignore the fact that innocent people get sent to prison all the time, and that even among guilty prisoners the length of imprisonment varies unjustly according to racial biases.

Also ignore the private prison pipeline of private prisons bribing youth court judges to throw kids in prison unfairly.
Rare. I know one juror extremely well, who told me that there was a conviction based not necessarily on the charged crime but on the intuition that the accused was a career criminal. I know that's not a legitimate basis for conviction but my guess is that it happens all the time.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:12 PM

23,143 posts, read 28,910,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
JMHO
If you don't think its fair then stay out of prison.
But, but, But! Not everyone who has committed a crime can afford an expensive lawyer to keep them out of prison!

I'm totally opposed to prison labor, and if they're injured on the job, they become even more expensive to have in prison.

What unnerves me is the all the innocent people sitting around in our prisons, who didn't get a fair trial, and who plea bargained.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:52 AM

50,489 posts, read 36,126,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The issue of fairness isn't so much about the rights of prisoners but whether it is fair to law abiding citizens that prison labor can effectively undercut them in the labor market and take those jobs away from them.
And also if there is profit to be had from prisoners (and there is literally billions made from our prison system) the powers that be who pocket those profits will make sure the supply never runs out. The system ceases to be about justice and becomes about stockholders. That is a problem, and had been a huge problem.

Anyone remember the “cash for kids” scandal in PA juvenile court? That’s what happens when the justice system is set up for individuals to profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates