Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 11:32 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times

Advertisements

Let me say at the outset that I'm not posting this question to those among us given to one-line answers; it's directed to those who regularly follow the practice of statecraft in America via more serious discussion of public affairs on CSPAN, etc.

Some of the more exotic among the threads which have emerged since the narrowing of the contest to a clash between two not-particularly-congenial personalities have bordered upon the ridiculous -- Satanism, prospects of a global nuclear exchange, etc. I think more than us than who are generally acknowledged -- and on both sides of the divide between us -- understand that the true process of nation-building both takes more time, and runs far deeper.

My father was a simple dairy farmer -- enrolled in the College Preparatory programs of his high school back in 1939-1942, but service in World War II (non-combat) and a decision to continue in his father's footsteps precluded further education. But he still devoted as much of his rare free time as he could to the public-affairs broadcasts after milking on Sunday morning.

And the last years of my working life were spent in one of the "fast-pace" distribution centers common to the new economy. Our workforce was drawn from every segment of the working-age population, and no one group had anything close to a majority. One ironclad rule was "Lose your temper = lose your job!" and seating at tables in the lunchroom/break area, while entirely voluntary, was seldom uniform. So serious subjects took a while to come to the forefront, but they were handled with respect when they eventually, and inevitably, did.

And I spent this summer working at a theme park with a crew composed mostly of "international interns" -- average age twenty. Politics were very seldom discussed, but we've set up a Facebook group, and I can assure you that the outcome of the election is a matter of interest.

So what happens once it's all for another four (or only two) years? I'm posting this a little early -- in no small part to see if any opinions change after the "main event" -- but please, let's try to hold to our expected standards.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-05-2016 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 03:17 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Oh, so after next Wednesday my stocks will stop falling and start regaining? Thank you lordy!!

OP, to your question.
NOTHING. Nothing will change. Just like it didn't really change after Obama. And Bush. And Clinton. And Bush.
It does not really matter, who sits in the oval office. Ever since Nixon times, country became a front for international corporations and their interests proxy in the world.
Times of great leaders, presidents that lead nations to great accomplishments, good or bad, fired people up with ideas, enthusiasm, personal example, are gone GONE. Who was the last real one? Teddy Roosevelt?
Are you really concerned with that TV circus they call campaigns now? Do you seriously believe a president actually can even attempt to do something? Look at Kennedies. He tried to go against the real masters, was publicly executed and entire family beaten into submission.
Seriously....

Old 11-07-2016, 01:54 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
It's been mentioned in other threads that the majority of us in America aren't really all that political, that's to say we don't belong to any organizations that could influence the political process in any meaningful way. However, there are those who fancy themselves as "being political," and it is in these groups that most of the national consternation can be found. I'm pretty sure that this disassociation with politics will triumph over those who feel the war must go on, just as they do here, long after a dead horse thread has been beaten to the ground.

Football--that's the real national passion, and I can guarantee the majority of America will soon turn it's thoughts to the Super Bowl, caring not, about who sits in the Whitehouse. Bitching: The national hobby, and the outrage of Limbaugh, Hannity and company, et al, will take to the air in order to get that paycheck, and keep the pot stirred.. The Doomers will always predict bad stuff, but this is still the land of the profoundly distracted.

Just yesterday my neighbor, who normally is walking a foot off the ground and filled with righteous political anger, seemed strangely subdued, he told me he "gave up," he said he just doesn't care anymore, at 75 and suffering from prostate cancer he figured he had bigger fish to fry. His Trump yard signs are still up but his give a damn flew out the window. I can't say as I blame him, I think a lot of us will throw in the towel knowing that neither party can offer us anything better than Tweedledee and Tweedledum, or dumb and dumber.

I'm generally on the left of things but this madness of party politics has gone on long enough, I don't march to anyone's tune and certainly think both those on the left and right need to calm down some in order to salvage America from being the laughingstock of the world.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:11 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
We don't know what Donald Trump will do.

In his victory speech, he promised massive infrastructure projects and jobs, good health care for all, and LOWER taxes.

Tell me how that happens.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:04 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
For the most part, things will go on as they always have. We survived Bush & Obama, so this too shall pass uneventfully. Remember, Trump has Congress to deal with and even though they're republican now, that doesn't guarantee him anything. Much ado about very little.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:53 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
For the most part, things will go on as they always have. We survived Bush & Obama, so this too shall pass uneventfully. Remember, Trump has Congress to deal with and even though they're republican now, that doesn't guarantee him anything. Much ado about very little.
If you listened to Paul Ryan's press conference, he basically communicated a "welcome to the big leagues" message. I thought it was very interesting that he praised Pence more than Trump. So there's at least one friend Trump really doesn't have.

Basically, the Republican congress, while it's impressed with Trump's win, will not feel beholden to Trump for a dang thing. He had no coattails one way or the other. And vice versa.

Trump has never operated from a place where he did not have leverage. He's going to have no leverage against congress, and I think will have a rude awakening when he discovers that. He's going to have a tenous relationship at best with his own party and of course the Democrats, who are in no weaker a position than they've been lately and slightly stronger in the senate, will not lift a finger to help him.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:01 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
We don't know what Donald Trump will do.

In his victory speech, he promised massive infrastructure projects and jobs, good health care for all, and LOWER taxes.

Tell me how that happens.
THIS! Promise everything to everyone, along with the lower taxes the fat cats (whose interests he basically ran a campaign against, as if anyone rational could believe he was sincere) all wanted. And btw, let's not forget that the massive jobs/infrastructure program was Obama's initiative, which the Republicans in Congress blocked, claiming the budget couldn't afford it. So now, suddenly, it can afford it, and after tax cuts, no less?

Yeah, that makes sense. It seems he's going to treat the Presidency like a giant reality-TV show.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:30 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,016,633 times
Quote:
For the most part, things will go on as they always have. We survived Bush & Obama...
We survived Bush only BECAUSE of Obama and only at the expense of the worst economic collapse since the Great Depression and the dumbest quagmire of a "war" since Vietnam.

Quote:
Remember, Trump has Congress to deal with and even though they're republican now, that doesn't guarantee him anything. Much ado about very little.
True, even Republicans don't like Trump, but if you aren't ready for social and and economic chaos here at home and around the world, better go pick up a prepper handbook or two.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:05 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
We survived Bush only BECAUSE of Obama and only at the expense of the worst economic collapse since the Great Depression and the dumbest quagmire of a "war" since Vietnam.
I can never tell if you're serious or not. I mean, you make it a point to be wrong so I just can't tell.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:55 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post

Agree we survived Bush at a great cost to our economy and the world we knew it. We are still paying the price with birth of ISIS, a 15 year old war that Obama promised to end but couldn't. I do give credit to Obama for helping our economy but he failed us at ending an unfair war Bush started

We will survive Trump but at what cost? either way, Hillary would not have made the cost any less. Maybe different cost but not much less
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates