Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 01:11 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

Also, I totally do not think the Dems focused too much of their effort on appealing to minorities. One of Hillary's issues was likely low black turnout.

And the Dems never said that there should be unrestricted immigration, only condemnation of the hateful things Donald Trump has said and a plan for a path to citizenship.

Keep in mind this election had the lowest turnout since 2004, so it's not like Donald Trump is super popular (also considering he lost the popular vote) The Dems just couldn't get enough enthusiasm behind Hillary and shake of the notion among many that she's "crooked".

Old 11-11-2016, 02:06 AM

4,657 posts, read 4,116,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Okay, they lost the election and the young have taken to the streets.

My opinion is that they lost mostly because they:

1. Focused most of their efforts on minorities (and especially their liberality regarding illegal immigrants ticked a lot of people off) and virtually ignored the wants and needs of the middle class.

2. Had alienated MOST American in one way or another over the past eight years

3. The perception that Obama had done absolutely nothing to improve the lives of most Americans

4. Relations between blacks and whites have generally worsened over the past eight years

5. Nominated Hillary who was outspoken about wanting to continue Obama's policies and attitudes

So, three questions --

First, do you agree or disagree with the above?
Yes. There are 5-10 things that I would add, but this is basically correct.

Quote:
Second, what do you think Liberals should do if they want to win in 2020?
They need to become an American party again. I used to simply hate Democrats for denouncing everyone as racist for expressing very sensible ideas such as the fact that the borders need to be enforced. As far as I am concerned, they became an illegal, illegitimate party the minute that Obama announced that he was not going to enforce immigration laws.

A LOT of Americans are feeling this way, which is why:

1) They lost the presidency
2) The remain the minority in the Senate, and will probably not have a chance at it for four years.
3) They remain the minority in the House, and will probably not have a chance at in for ten years.
4) They have a minority of governorships and lost some
5) They have a minority of state legislature monopolies
6) They have basically lost the Supreme Court for my lifetime
7) All this happened 8 years after the demogrpahic dividend supposedly kicked in and Republicans were supposed to have become a "White and regional party."

Quote:
Third, what do you think they will do over the next four years? (Meaning do you think they will continue to push for changes not wanted by "Middle America"?)

They won't learn a thing. They will continue to cultivate minortiy votes at the expense of the majority of Americans. America is changing, so this MIGHT be a good strategy if they want to talk about 30 years in the future. Then again, it might be very poor, because:

A) Blacks are starting to wake up to the fact that libs have done nothing for them and never will--at the very least they will vote in lesser numbers, and if the last three elections are trend, republicans will continue to peel of 2-4% per election.

B) Hispanics become more conservative as they become more affluent and will vote slightly but significanrly more Republican as they make more money.

C) Asians should be natural Republican voters, voted more Republican in the mid terms, and, regarless of what they did on Tuesday ( I have not seen any data), will vote Republican in higher numbers in the long term.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:51 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
if liberals are rioting to protest....
aren't they doing what they claim they fear??? which underminds half their principles and arguments

yeah election results can suck but this is how you cope...like a 5 yr old in a sandbox who didn't get their own way??

liberals can be upset but face some reality,,,,,, Bernie had a better chance to beat trump and the democrat party put the quash on Bernie...it was a coronation for Hillary ...
Bernie connected with the young voters,,,, but he also did something foolish,,,he ran against corruption,,,,and then supported Hillary...

this was a "vote against" election rather than a vote FOR election..... republicans came out to vote not only to vote against Hillary, but it was a middle finger against the liberal bias media (98% of reporters/journalists vote for the democrats) the media has treated Obama like a unicorn for 8 years,,, they circled their wagons around him and protected him.....while treating republicans like lepers......

ive always thought the congress should be more like a jury.... amongst our peers of society,,,,,instead of 90% lawyers that seem to be there forever... they give themselves raises and benefits we cant get no matter their performance- we are 20 trillion in debt.. and little to show for it

as another poster said,,, after 8 yrs of one party ....the other party usually gets elected..

jeb bush and Christie both governors,,,,much more experience than trump but they didn't stand a chance....why???

because their isn't much difference between them and Hillary ..like McCain or Romney the republican moderates don't win.....but also because they are career politicians...that worked against them

the media ...tried every attack they could against trump and he gave them things to attack on,,,,but it didn't stick,,,this is rare..usually the media in bed with democrats can sway public opinion....but not this time..
trump didn't look so dirty standing next to hillary

Old 11-11-2016, 07:30 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The Democrats need to put up someone next election who is very likable, and has a clean record so the right wing can't demonize him/her the way they did with Hillary.
The right would demonize Mother Teresa if she were running as a Democrat. The corporate sector spent hundreds upon hundred of millions of dollars over the past 40 years to build out a gigantic disinformation media. They will use that engine to invent and pound on volumes of provocative slop until people simply stop falling for it.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:45 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Just sit back and wait. Most everyone is going to get screwed. It's projected 20,000,000 people will lose health care with no clue about options. In today's news now Medicare is on the block for privatization. What about college cost?

There goes protections for minority hiring and contract bidding. Yes women are included in a minority group. As for banking and financial service most people don't have a clue.

Now the kicker. Trump foreign policy. Let us not forget in the early election he said he got his information from tv news shows.

The people got what they asked for....

Old 11-11-2016, 07:46 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I have to admit.... I was pretty annoyed and disgusted with Obama for a while. But compared to most of the politicians this cylce, he looks like freaking George Washington and I've come to appreciate him. He's handling the transition with a lot of class.

George W. Bush is looking better in retrospect too.
I was with you until you said GWB....but yes, Trump makes him look like... I dunno, but better than he used to. That doesn't say much though.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
The people got what they asked for....
No, no one asked for what's coming. Some were simply foolish enough to fall for what they should have known better about. You'd think that the lessons of WMD would have sunk in a little better by now.

Last edited by Pub-911; 11-11-2016 at 08:04 AM..

Old 11-11-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Now the kicker. Trump foreign policy.
America just took itself down by a couple of notches on every other continent in the world. Where Obama's election was seen as welcome reassurance that the US had returned to sanity again, the election of Trump will have just the opposite effect. We will have significant difficulty now in every international forum. The list of those who will now be able to out-maneuver us is a bit of a frightening one.

Quote:
Let us not forget in the early election he said he got his information from tv news shows.
So do far too many voters, and the channels they tend to watch are among the least honest and reliable outlets that we have. A "culture of ignorance" is not a good thing to have.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:14 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
I agree with all your points and also would like to add that BOTH parties neglected to hear the voice of the American people. I have watched both parties do nothing in the past 16 years.

AFA what the Liberals should do next? Really get in touch with the American people. Realize we do not want another Dynasty in power. Educate the millennials, not by what their professors are spewing, but on reality. Let them learn to think for themselves and really talk to people and be willing to listen and understand someone else's opinion other than what someone in academia wants them to think.

Also stop throwing money at people in this country that are unwilling to help themselves (Baltimore for example). They continually have given money to educate and help the poor and what do they do? Burn and loot the city...and Obama gave them more money yet.

They should prioritize the US needs before sending billions of dollars overseas. Close the borders and take care of our own people, many who lack healthcare, jobs and food. Stop wasting money in the Middle East. They hate the US. There needs to come a point when we let them fend for themselves.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:19 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
The media is liberal. They are all wondering "how they missed it" in the election. They missed it because they are so bias and spent more time promoting Hillary and bashing Trump, forcing the American people to believe that Hillary was the next coming. I stopped watching the news months ago because they never showed Trump making a good speech, only his crazy antics, yet when they showed Hillary, she was promoting what she would do for this country. Most of the people I know, all stopped watching the news as they were tired of the bias. Maybe the Liberals need to go back to doing REAL JOURNALISM, rather than pushing their own agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates