U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 08:47 AM

12,685 posts, read 9,455,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
...I was told in no uncertain terms (with actions to support that - hand over the eyes, turning away) that I could absolutely NOT show my picture ID - not just that it was not required, but that they refused to look at it when presented.
Which state is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
...Unfortunately too I see that this 'attitude' seems to have wrought at least 2 distinct issues right now, post election. We seem to have a boatload of people suddenly requiring psychological attention (I do hope they get it and that they have healthcare benefits that will help them pay for it) since they cannot stop snivelling and whining and they seem to feel we have totally destroyed not only their lives but their right to safe spaces in which to cry and hug and tell each other that the world has ended.
See "Classes Being Canceled Because Trump Won Is Why Trump Won"

Classes Being Canceled Because Trump Won Is Why Trump Won | National Review

Old 11-13-2016, 09:04 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,813,163 times
I yet to meet a person capable of rationalizing his vote for Trump, it's mostly emotional projections, instinctual preferences and lots of the twisted ignorant BS. TS verbosity, labels, exaggerations, drama and vague slogans do not belong in the realm of the rational either. I invite TS to state the logical reasons he voted Trump, not your typical emotional slogans, chants and projections. I voted Hillary for one and the only reason - status quo is preferable to all the nonsense people project at Trump in addition to the dubious or outright disastrous ideas Trump vocalized to get elected.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
People in the rust belt and those little towns in the Midwest who voted for Trump thinking that the factories will come back and bring jobs will be disappointed.
Just curious: would those be the same rural people who, you know, "cling to their guns & religion?"

Old 11-13-2016, 09:17 AM

An interesting observation:

New York Times’s Amy Chozick:

Quote:
Last year, a prominent group of supporters asked Hillary Clinton to address a prestigious St. Patrick’s Day gathering at the University of Notre Dame, an invitation that previous presidential candidates had jumped on.
Barack Obama and Joseph R. Biden Jr. had each addressed the group, and former President Bill Clinton was eager for his wife to attend. But Mrs. Clinton’s campaign refused, explaining to the organizers that white Catholics were not the audience she needed to spend time reaching out to.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:42 AM

27,288 posts, read 11,400,826 times
I'm saddened by this election. How do we explain to our kids and grand kids that even if you denigrate women, make unwanted sexual advances toward them, mock the disabled, and declare war on an entire religion that you can still hold the highest office in our nation?

There are many decent Republicans who I might disagree with on ideology but they are decent moral and thoughtful...and we got Trump. What in the name of God just happened to us?

Old 11-13-2016, 09:43 AM

Personally, I see an increase in single-issue voters over the years. My favorite example from about 10 or 12 years ago: during a local race for a local office, one candidate proclaimed himself "I'm an Anti-War, Pro-Choice Progressive..." This is for a local office, although I can't recall exactly which office. Let's say it was an elected dog-catcher or equally important office. He won.

The reason I bring this up is many women friends voted for this candidate because he was Pro-Choice. That was the key issue, they said. I pointed out that the local elected dog-catcher's position on abortion rights is completely irrelevant for obvious reasons, but there was no way to have an intelligent discussion about it. One woman, who only has sons, referred to my daughter, who was pre-puberty, and proclaimed "what if your daughter needs an abortion one day? We've got to elect dog-catchers who are Pro-Choice." No other issue mattered to her.

Similar single-issue voters seem to be proliferating in other areas of course: environmentalists, guns rights, anti-gun rights, color-of-skin voters, and the like.

I recall the comedian Chris Rock, regarding voting for Obama, saying "I'm not racist. I didn't vote for Obama because he's Black. I voted for Obama because I'm Black."

And, of course, so many voters who voted based on gender: "I'm for Hillary because we both have uteruses" (or is should that be uteri?)

Old 11-13-2016, 10:04 AM

27,288 posts, read 11,400,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Just curious: would those be the same rural people who, you know, "cling to their guns & religion?"
If you think about those words rather than just turn them into a sound bite, they are quite true and not really a criticism. It has become obvious that there are many people who will vote for anyone who promises that they will use the power of government to provide solutions to the issues most important to them. Many evangelical leaders proved this by endorsing him despite his moral failings. The same argument can be made for voters whose main issue is 2nd amendment rights...they might abhor the way Trump has talked about and treated women but they will vote for him in spite of that in order to permanently guarantee their gun rights. That doesn't make those people bad or good, it's just a fact.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:33 AM

6,934 posts, read 3,022,021 times
He's a bigot and an idiot and everyone who voted for him are bigots and idiots. I was already planning to buy a 2nd home in a foreign country; but after Tuesday we've changed our minds. We will sell our US home and move permanently to a foreign country. Voting with our feet.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:33 AM

1,106 posts, read 855,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
And, of course, so many voters who voted based on gender: "I'm for Hillary because we both have uteruses" (or is should that be uteri?)
I find this accusation amusing. I think there are some women who voted for Hillary because of her sex, but many just genuinely agreed she was the better candidate. It is insulting to assume otherwise.
And I can assure you there are WAY more people who voted for trump because he was a man, than those who voted for Hillary because she was a woman. But it's funny that you don't hear it framed like that, isn't it?

Old 11-13-2016, 10:42 AM

18,958 posts, read 8,900,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
What would be the point of having a supreme court where all members are the middle of the road? We would just need one person -- a judicial dictator. We want and need a broad spectrum of thought and interpretation on the bench. What we don't need is a majority of one side or the other without a center.
The point would be that they would be more apt to be interpreting laws based on law, not on ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or