Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 08:47 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times

Advertisements

I never even heard of this one.. until the government in my state is kicking
this off.. evidently it's already in place in most cities around the country.

Free breakfast and lunch all summer long... to go with free breakfast and
lunch all school year long.
Rhode Island to kick off summer meals program as school ends | | stltoday.com

On top of this, they get food stamps (EBT), WIC, SSI, perhaps SSDI, Section 8,
free health care, dental, vision, free day care, free clothing, food banks that
are like supermarkets, utilities assistance, transportation, and probably whatever
else can be thought of. I know there is a push to leave schools open 24 hours a day
for free babysitting year-round also.

I do not understand why free summer meals have to be provided.
This is an obvious duplication of benefits. Other than to give mothers
or fathers a place to drop off the kids and not have to prepare meals
themselves.

Millions of immigrants are pouring into this country to take advantage
of these life-encompassing benefits. The benefits easily add up to
over $50,000 per family. Why work ? Where is the incentive for responsibility ?
Where is the incentive for earning things in life ? Where is the incentive
to earn over a threshold when working makes life too much of a struggle,
and not working makes life more enjoyable ?

As someone who grew up in a working-class family without welfare,
I am deeply offended by these programs. My father and uncle had
to fight over who got to eat an egg. My father had to hunt for pheasant
just to provide a Thanksgiving dinner at age 14.

I detest these programs. I detest the politicians who provide them
and I resent those who make a career out of doing nothing but
leeching off the taxpayers. Sadly, many millions of "Americans" are
making this a permanent way of life. They are the ones having large
families and bringing in relatives.
They will outnumber the working, traditional family unit soon.
Perhaps they already are !

I do not believe this condition can be democratically addressed anymore.
The ability to turn this in the other direction is disappearing, because
in a democratic government, which is what we live under, the majority
will demand these benefits. And don't tell me we are a "republic".
That is a bunch of antiquated baloney !

Thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 12:35 PM

366 posts, read 493,486 times
If you subsidize a behavior you get more of it. To our culture and societies detriment we encourage the shiftless, lazy, intellectually inferior, lawless, genetically damaged, and retarded to breed by providing accommodations for them.

It would make sense to sterilize both sexes as a condition of accepting public aid.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:39 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,071 times
I think that one of the hardest things to do in this day and age, is to get ones self out of poverty, there are so many things working against you. I grew up in a lower middle class family, just barely above the poverty line, however, we had the means to grow everything we ate, my dad hunted for meat,the only thing my parents had to buy was dry goods. Times have changed, and that change works against you if you are at or below the poverty line. Like Citylove101 posted, the benefits are there, if you can use them, if you are in a rural area and in poverty your chances are even worse than if you were in a city enviroment, access to benefits are there, but useless if no one accepts them.

I'm retired now and am doing very well, I invested in my future at a young age and now it is paying off. When I left home at the age of 17, I joined the military, I told myself I wasn't going to live from hand to mouth. I put myself through college via the G.I. Bill and worked evenings to help pay for my college, no student loans. Yes, it paid off, I do remember where my roots were and where I came from, thanks to the life lessons from my dad and the values that he instilled in me, I'm satisfied at where I'm at today. It wasn't easy, it was a lot of hard work and the determination to make something of myself.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I never even heard of this one.. until the government in my state is kicking
this off.. evidently it's already in place in most cities around the country.

Free breakfast and lunch all summer long... to go with free breakfast and
lunch all school year long.
Rhode Island to kick off summer meals program as school ends | | stltoday.com

On top of this, they get food stamps (EBT), WIC, SSI, perhaps SSDI, Section 8,
free health care, dental, vision, free day care, free clothing, food banks that
are like supermarkets, utilities assistance, transportation, and probably whatever
else can be thought of. I know there is a push to leave schools open 24 hours a day
for free babysitting year-round also.

This is an obvious duplication of benefits. Other than to give mothers
or fathers a place to drop off the kids and not have to prepare meals
themselves.

Millions of immigrants are pouring into this country to take advantage
of these life-encompassing benefits. The benefits easily add up to
over $50,000 per family. Why work ? Where is the incentive for responsibility ?
Where is the incentive for earning things in life ? Where is the incentive
to earn over a threshold when working makes life too much of a struggle,
and not working makes life more enjoyable ?

As someone who grew up in a working-class family without welfare,
I am deeply offended by these programs. My father and uncle had
to fight over who got to eat an egg. My father had to hunt for pheasant
just to provide a Thanksgiving dinner at age 14.

I detest these programs. I detest the politicians who provide them
and I resent those who make a career out of doing nothing but
leeching off the taxpayers. Sadly, many millions of "Americans" are
making this a permanent way of life. They are the ones having large
families and bringing in relatives.
They will outnumber the working, traditional family unit soon.
Perhaps they already are !

I do not believe this condition can be democratically addressed anymore.
The ability to turn this in the other direction is disappearing, because
in a democratic government, which is what we live under, the majority
will demand these benefits. And don't tell me we are a "republic".
That is a bunch of antiquated baloney !

Thoughts ?
The program you posted about is specifically for children. What should children do if thir parents are unable (for whatever reason) to feed them?

Old 06-20-2016, 12:48 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post

Because apparently there's a concern that some children are not getting adequate nutrition without a program like this.

Is there are reason why you feel so strongly that school-age children should be going hungry?

Old 06-20-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Because apparently there's a concern that some children are not getting adequate nutrition without a program like this.

Is there are reason why you feel so strongly that school-age children should be going hungry?
Maybe he feels like I do, that people should not engage in procreation until they can provide for their children and amble savings and insurance to handle adversity?

Charity is suppose to be something you engage in voluntarily not by Government mandate.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
Maybe he feels like I do, that people should not engage in procreation until they can provide for their children and amble savings and insurance to handle adversity?

Charity is suppose to be something you engage in voluntarily not by Government mandate.
That's all well and good but it doesn't always happen that way. You plan to just let the kids not eat because their parents are in a bad way? Even if the parents are irresponsible - is starving their kids going to help anything?

Old 06-20-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
That's all well and good but it doesn't always happen that way. You plan to just let the kids not eat because their parents are in a bad way? Even if the parents are irresponsible - is starving their kids going to help anything?
Procreation is a voluntary activity. If parents cannot provide for their children the children should be taken from the parents and put into state work/education camps where the children are provided a bland but adequate diet, provided a minimal education and then in labor camps in their spare time in agricultural fields. Those that show aptitude should be allowed a more advanced education in the trades and those with genuine scholastic aptitude should be provided with advanced educational opportunities. In this way, the children would be filtered, those with no motivation and low intelligence or ability would spend their life inthe work camps and should be sterilized. Those who show initiative and ability promoted into the trades and those with the intellect and motivation would have advanced educational opportunities.

The parents themselves should be sterilized and likewise put into work camps, only away from their children or given the option of assisted suicide.

There you go, problem solved. We no longer need illegal aliens and third world immigrants for menial labor in the fields, and we would finally have a system that properly motivates the poor to improve their condition by applying themselves. As I said, if they don't like it, state sponsored suicide is an option.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:50 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post

So the children that are already in the world should be suffering?

I certainly hope you are not speaking of "charity" in any sort of religious sense, as I'd really be frightened of any religion that would promote kids going hungry due to the "perceived sins" of their parents.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
So the children that are already in the world should be suffering?

I certainly hope you are not speaking of "charity" in any sort of religious sense, as I'd really be frightened of any religion that would promote kids going hungry due to the "perceived sins" of their parents.
It has nothing to do with religion. Using the coercive power of government to deprive a man of the just fruits of his labor is enslavement and unjust. If you want to help the poor, then do so through an act of personal charity using your own resources. You have no implicit moral right to use your vote to deprive another person of their just earnings.

Here is quote attributed to James Madison, often considered the father of the Constitution.

“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates