Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 09:30 PM

10,708 posts, read 5,651,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Of course it is not. The founders are long dead.

But of course there is an immense advantage to the right. Sum up the Trump EC vote and the populaton in the 20 smaller states...you will see. The campaign hung on a few rust belt cities...but that is after Trump gets his small state increment...and that is what he wins on.
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. This is what isn't happening:

Quote:
low population states being given a bigger vote than those on the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 09:34 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. This is what isn't happening:
Of course it is. That is EC votes per capita. Wildly skewed. Try Wyoming versus California.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:54 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
A right of secession is not now and never has been available to any state. The only way out of our perpetual union is to reverse the process of admission, That is, you must petition for the approval of those whom you would wish to leave behind and then receive it.
Where does it state that in the Constitution?

Old 12-06-2016, 10:26 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
The cumulative population of the Clinton-won states (CA, HI, MD, MA, NY, RI, VT, CN, DE, IL, ME, NJ, NM, OR, WA, CO, MN, NV, NH, VA) plus Washington DC is ~ 139 Million

The cumulative population of the Trump-won states (MI, FL, IA, OH, PA, WI, AZ, GA, IN, MO, NC, AL, AK, AR, ID, KS, KY, LA, MS, MT, NE, ND, OK, SC, TN, TX, UT, WV, WY) is ~170 Million.

QED.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:06 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The cumulative population of the Clinton-won states (CA, HI, MD, MA, NY, RI, VT, CN, DE, IL, ME, NJ, NM, OR, WA, CO, MN, NV, NH, VA) plus Washington DC is ~ 139 Million

The cumulative population of the Trump-won states (MI, FL, IA, OH, PA, WI, AZ, GA, IN, MO, NC, AL, AK, AR, ID, KS, KY, LA, MS, MT, NE, ND, OK, SC, TN, TX, UT, WV, WY) is ~170 Million.

QED.
However as you are well aware the cumulative Clinton vote is 2.5 million larger than the Trump vote.

How to lie with numbers?

I will have to work out tomorrow how well Trump did wit the small states.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:18 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Where does it state that in the Constitution?
The written Constitution itself is a good deal less than the written or unwritten body of Constitutional law.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:16 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
The written Constitution itself is a good deal less than the written or unwritten body of Constitutional law.
Please explain. I can think of only a few items that are considered part of the Constitution that are not part of the written Constitution. Judicial review is one that is a distinctive part of constitutional law but is nowhere expressly conveyed in the Constitution. Stare decisis is a principle of constitutional policy that is not expressly conveyed in the Constitution. I'm sure there are a few others that my limited Constitutional knowledge is missing.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:22 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Please explain. I can think of only a few items that are considered part of the Constitution that are not part of the written Constitution. Judicial review is one that is a distinctive part of constitutional law but is nowhere expressly conveyed in the Constitution. Stare decisis is a principle of constitutional policy that is not expressly conveyed in the Constitution. I'm sure there are a few others that my limited Constitutional knowledge is missing.
The constitutionality of secession was tested by the Civil War. However, there are supreme court cases that came afterwards that reject the legitimacy of secession as well. Key among these are decisions which refuse to recognize the Civil War as a "war". Instead, the court refers to it as a "rebellion". Wars take place between countries. Rebellions are internal matters that occur within a country. See Texas v. White, 74 US 700 (1869). The decision is quite clear that unilateral secession of a state is illegal.

Next, the Constitution makes no provision for a process for a state to secede from the union after having been admitted.

Finally, since all the states admitted to the union after the original thirteen states were first U.S. territories, my contention would be that even if a state could secede from the union, it would give up statehood, but would remain a U.S. territory. U.S. territories are governed by Congress and the President appoints territorial officials.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
The Constitution is not some grocery list of all existing rights and powers. There is no need for either a right or power to be enumerated for it to exist. What is implied exists as much as what is written.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
See Texas v. White, 74 US 700 (1869).
It's amazing how few people have even heard of Texas v White. It's been the explicit law of the land for nearly 150 years now. I guess news travels slowly in some parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates