Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 04:09 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
This is America, dude. Accused doesn't count for anything. And your list of inmates would be highly unlikely to include any that would actually validate your claim.
Why did you ignore the rest of the post? Especially this sentence:
"We need an independent investigation, an honest trial (if needed), and a presidential pardon in the end if found guilty."
THAT, IMO, is the truth of the matter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 04:11 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Apparently, she broke the law and worse, the Clinton Foundation is in serious question. We have to try her for the following reasons:

1) NO one is above the law despite what the Clintons and Democrats in general, think
2) She should be given full due-process as anyone accused of a crime should/would receive.
3) IF she and/or the foundation is found guilty of any crime then the appropriate sentence should be adjudicated, just like for you and me and eerily similar of what that sailor, NOW IN JAIL is in for. He merely took photos of a top secret asset, never disseminated them and for THAT, he is spending a year. Seems to me, that she DID disseminate secrets, in an unsafe manner, lied under oath and if proven (has) she should do the time. JUST like you and me.
4) Sets a precedent. NO one is above the law. Make an example. Hold our leaders, Republican and Democrat to the same legal standards.
5) If any Republican is guilty of the same, same conditions apply, NO exceptions.

Want to clean Washington up? Here's your chance. To pardon her is a slap in the face to all those now sitting in jail for similar crimes. It's simply not right. It's not just. It's not fair. Treat everyone, always, the same as anyone else no matter their race, color, creed, demeanor, sex, position, title, connections, etc....keep it fair and balanced.

I agree. But are you really concerned with being fair to people who are currently incarcerated?

Old 11-14-2016, 04:31 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Why did you ignore the rest of the post? Especially this sentence: "We need an independent investigation, an honest trial (if needed), and a presidential pardon in the end if found guilty." THAT, IMO, is the truth of the matter!
Because it is precedent upon a total partisan fantasy. The "(if needed)" bit just gives away the fact that the poster himself knows full well that there is actually nothing here to prosecute. These vague claims and lamentations are all just a lot of partisan noise and rhetoric that fails to rise even to the level of being a decent tempest in a teapot.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:33 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
I agree. But are you really concerned with being fair to people who are currently incarcerated?

Absolutely. Fair, is well, fair? However, don't toss the race card out if that's where you are going. Believe it or not, MOST of those imprisoned are there by their own circumstance. What I was saying is that her and ANYONE else be treated EQUALLY under the law....which means. you break the law, you get treated the same whether you are a king or a pauper.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:55 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Gerald Ford issued a pre-emptive blanket pardon to Richard Nixon for any crimes he might have participated in during Watergate or at any other point in his term of office...

Now, THEREFORE, I, GERALD R. FORD, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974.

In that very different case of course, there was ample reason to suspect that Mr. Nixon was indeed a crook who would have had years of undignified exposure to potential civil suits and criminal prosecutions ahead of him.

For the same reason, I think it is time to grant a Presidential Pardon to Hillary regarding her time in office.

Then, there would be no point is any "special prosecutor" to investigate any of alleged wrong-doings.

It is time to move on.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:58 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Because it is precedent upon a total partisan fantasy. The "(if needed)" bit just gives away the fact that the poster himself knows full well that there is actually nothing here to prosecute. These vague claims and lamentations are all just a lot of partisan noise and rhetoric that fails to rise even to the level of being a decent tempest in a teapot.
I wish I could be that sure. However, I do not trust her, never have trusted her, never will trust her.
That is why I agree with the independent investigation, then place the results before a Grand Jury to return an indictment or not. I am well aware of the difficulty in finding a non-partisan investigator, and a non-partisan Grand Jury. But I think it needs to be done, to put the matter to rest for once and for all!
I think it is quite telling that comey did not present his findings to a Grand Jury, he just arbitrarily made the decision that there was no "intent", so there would be no prosecution. That just seems to be WRONG!
Check the first sentence of the Fifth Amendment.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
For the same reason, I think it is time to grant a Presidential Pardon to Hillary regarding her time in office. Then, there would be no point is any "special prosecutor" to investigate any of alleged wrong-doings. It is time to move on.
LOL! All but admitting that the whole "Crooked Hillary" thing was just a manipulative sham, Trump has already walked away from any plans for further investigations.

By contrast, Senate Republicans in large numbers stood ready to convict Nixon of everything he was charged with. This is why he chose to resign instead. Smoking guns also have consequences.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
MOST of those imprisoned are there by their own circumstance.
I agree with everything except the above. While it may be true, I wouldn't be able to state it as certainty. I simply don't know.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
LOL! All but admitting that the whole "Crooked Hillary" thing was just a manipulative sham, Trump has already walked away from any plans for further investigations.
You mean he didn't mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thaNhEAKF_U

Old 11-14-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I wish I could be that sure. However, I do not trust her, never have trusted her, never will trust her.
So this is all some sort of personal gut feeling thing? As the great Clara Peller once said, "WHERE'S THE BEEF?"

Quote:
That is why I agree with the independent investigation, then place the results before a Grand Jury to return an indictment or not. I am well aware of the difficulty in finding a non-partisan investigator, and a non-partisan Grand Jury. But I think it needs to be done, to put the matter to rest for once and for all!
I think it is quite telling that comey did not present his findings to a Grand Jury, he just arbitrarily made the decision that there was no "intent", so there would be no prosecution. That just seems to be WRONG!
I know that some people want a full and independent investigation of allegations of baby-eating among potential Trump cabinet appointees. They concede that they have no actionable or any other kind of evidence of this or any other sort of wrong-doing. They simply feel that it would be important to clear the air.

Quote:
Check the first sentence of the Fifth Amendment.
The amendment consists of but a single sentence. This is what it says...

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

Which parts did you think would be pertinent here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates