Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 08:52 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,872,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
Are you blaming some liberal group-think pack mentality for a supposed lack of acceptance by conservatives on campus? What are you saying? You want special ideological protections for right-wing snowflakes? What happened to the marketplace of ideas?
The worst oppression in America today is found on most college\university campuses......ironic, huh?? Lol
And where are the leftists, protesting this?? Oh that's right--THEY are the ones doing the oppressing.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:02 PM

5,886 posts, read 3,871,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
These college kids out protesting have no idea what the real world will be like. There are no jobs for them out there. The first 2-3 years will be a rude awakening.
Getting out into the real world (aka private sector) will probably make them even more liberal than what they already are. Wait until they experience the free market first hand and find out just how many few businesses are "run like a business." The merit-based system they became used to in college gets thrown out the window in the private sector; they better get used to nepotism and cronyism -- and that's after they get to deal with the pseudo-psychology hacks known as HR. They'll be wishing they were still in college when they find out that their boss, who knows less than they do, obtained his job only because he's sleeping with the owner's daughter.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:39 PM

18,451 posts, read 9,084,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Getting out into the real world (aka private sector) will probably make them even more liberal than what they already are. Wait until they experience the free market first hand and find out just how many few businesses are "run like a business." The merit-based system they became used to in college gets thrown out the window in the private sector; they better get used to nepotism and cronyism -- and that's after they get to deal with the pseudo-psychology hacks known as HR. They'll be wishing they were still in college when they find out that their boss, who knows less than they do, obtained his job only because he's sleeping with the owner's daughter.
^^^ That.

If anyone thinks that government is full of corruption, cronyism, bureaucracy, and inefficiency, you should work in corporate America for a few years. The movie Office Space is a documentary, not a comedy.

I was fairly "pro-capitalist" until I saw how it actually worked in the real world.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:02 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,681,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
The strange thing about our liberal, leftist universities is that they are constantly complaining about intolerance but only one point of view is allowed on university campuses and that is the liberal view. Try to be a right winger on one of our campuses and it won't go down very well. Show me a right wing professor and it will be an exception to the mass of liberal, leftist professors that populate our universities.
The more general problems are: 1.too many unqualified people are going to universities because there is no system of vocational education in the US and 2. Grade inflation. I originally took an MS degree from a Land Grant institution. It served me well professionally for many years. It was not a hotbed of liberalism.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:47 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,041,455 times
LOL, I remember joining the military and having to sign a document swearing that I was never a Communist. I thought to myself, "well, I better not tell him what I wrote my Senior Thesis about in college..." and just signed the document.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:28 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,518,752 times
I saw a picture earlier in the week, an anti-Trump demonstration, where a lady wearing a hijab (ie a purposeful visual symbol stating "I am a member of an entirely voluntary ideology" - and that voluntary ideology (Islam) is explicitly sexist and homophobic) was up on the microphone denouncing Trump for his bigotry.

There is a concrete line separating PC acceptable speech and PC unacceptable speech, but that border does not align with honesty nor hypocrisy.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:12 AM

18,495 posts, read 15,482,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
The strange thing about our liberal, leftist universities is that they are constantly complaining about intolerance but only one point of view is allowed on university campuses and that is the liberal view. Try to be a right winger on one of our campuses and it won't go down very well. Show me a right wing professor and it will be an exception to the mass of liberal, leftist professors that populate our universities.
Show me a study or mass survey showing that the job acceptance rate (among those who actually apply and are formally qualified) for professorships is correlated with their political affiliation, in other words, cite your sources. Merely showing that most professors identify as Democrat doesn't count, because it could simply be due to most qualified applicants seeking the position being Democrat to begin with.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:35 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,263,182 times
When I started college(in the 80s), my advisor said 'our goal is to make you a well rounded person'. My reply 'I don't want to be well rounded, I want to be able to stick to a well paying job, not just keep rolling'. He did not appreciate this. We clashed frequently since I had a nasty habit of asking 'what use will this course be when I start working'. He thought of his college as an end unto it's self. I thought of college as a place that would educate me so I could get a well-paying job!

He commented one day that science majors, like me, were a challenge to work with. I did get what I needed. Unfortunately, I also had to go thru a lot of b**lls**t courses to get it.

I quickly learned that the first thing I needed to study each semester was not the course, but the professor. That way I knew how to slant my efforts to get the grade I needed. I found that most of the science and business professors were conservative to neutral; the others tended to be liberal.

Before starting college, I would recommend that everyone read Machiavelli's 'The Prince' to get tips on how to handle the college environment.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:45 AM

29,675 posts, read 34,195,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
When I started college(in the 80s), my advisor said 'our goal is to make you a well rounded person'. My reply 'I don't want to be well rounded, I want to be able to stick to a well paying job, not just keep rolling'. He did not appreciate this. We clashed frequently since I had a nasty habit of asking 'what use will this course be when I start working'. He thought of his college as an end unto it's self. I thought of college as a place that would educate me so I could get a well-paying job!
In a way, your professor was right. A university is not a trade school--you're there to get an education, learn how to think, learn information literacy and how to process information, to be exposed to new people and new ideas. There's value in learning in and of itself.

I don't know that it's wrong to say that universities skew liberal, but I'd imagine that other industries skew more conservative. Part of that is the fact that young people tend to be much more idealistic than other adults, and Millennials in particular have grown up in a more global, accepting society.. Sure, you could say there's a university bubble, but there's a bubble around a lot of people who don't leave their comfort zones, not just liberals.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:39 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,961,305 times
I have several university professors (from both public and private colleges) in my family. To a person they are all rampant liberals. And over the years I have watched/listened to them as they sought to get tenure at their various institutions - and it was very obvious that they had to brown nose a lot to other liberal administrators and professors to get where they wanted to go. In most colleges it is definitely more difficult to gain tenure if you are not of like 'political mind' with those who will judge your fitness for same. It definitely seems (from the outside) that that counts for a lot more than academic and teaching excellence at any rate.

It was fairly easy for them though because they were already liberal in their beliefs (and they also managed by the way to somehow inject their basic beliefs into even scientific/mathematical disciplines they were teaching .. I am sure that is tougher than if you teach poli-sci or English or history or women's studies, etc. .. but I know - from talking to students of theirs .. that they did).

I went to university more than a few years after graduating high school (when I already had a fair bit of real life experience behind me) and I too found that the best way to get decent grades was to assess the professor first before even beginning to attack the actual course material. Worked every time - but while it probably did help me learn more about 'people' (and not always the best side of them) it didn't necessarily mean I learned a lot of course material. I did however ace every course! I also felt nauseous a lot that I was having to regurgitate propaganda a lot rather than really being able to be who I was and express my own brand of logic freely.

Still later in life, not that many years ago actually, I called up a couple of universities because I wanted to learn more about several subjects (more for just myself than for further degree qualifications at that point) and talked to their student advisors. I explained to them what I had experienced even years ago and asked them point blank whether I would be allowed to be myself if I took the kinds of classes I was interested in and was told that was very unlikely these days - and that the real point was to learn the professor's politics and go along with them to get where I wanted to go. I was actually surprised (and pleased) that they were being so honest with me to tell the truth but I was glad they were. I decided against that 'go along to get along' stuff this time - as I believe that really isn't the best way to really 'learn' the subject material. And it is particularly inadvisable for someone with a lot of real life experience to put themselves through all that I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates