Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 06:59 PM

564 posts, read 872,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You could put me, a high school dropout, in the place of Nick Woodman and GoPro would have done things much better.

This is also true with many other companies I know and follow.

Your question assumes the good old days before we have GWB as POTUS. At that point most of us peasants looked at him, listened to him and thought "no doubt - I could do a better job than he could".

No one is doubting that some people have talents which make them worth more. But extra-white teeth should not have made Woodman worth a billion while others lost billions due to his lack of work ethic, management ability, etc.

I have hobnobbed with quite a few "important' execs in my day. I remember a guy really high up at the old Philadelphia Electric (Exelon now?). We worked together on civic and similar types of projects.

Here are his main skills:

1. He is tall
2. He has a deep voice
3. He ALWAYS goes along with what the next guy up the ladder wants and says.
4. He has a vocab of the right words. "No Brainer" is about every two sentences, as he agrees with what some other "know nothing" has suggested. The idea here is that it saves him from actually thinking.

You know anyone like that?
Based on your posts, I don't think you would do any better.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:00 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post
Based on your posts, I don't think you would do any better.
That's a no brainer (said in deep voice...and I'm tall). Also, I make certain movements with my hands which makes it seem like I know what I am saying. The vertical chop is especially important to make a point.

I know some great CEO's. Unfortunately for us, many of them are Chinese or European. They actually innovate and do things. Not disposable hit-men and women like our system rewards.

I'm sure there are some here too. But our system rewards bad behavior. Heck, look at....well, you know. You get far in this country by screwing people. To the Top.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:06 PM

54 posts, read 41,105 times
my outlook on today's crowd is that 99% are a waste of oxygen.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:20 PM

564 posts, read 872,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
That's a no brainer (said in deep voice...and I'm tall). Also, I make certain movements with my hands which makes it seem like I know what I am saying. The vertical chop is especially important to make a point.

I know some great CEO's. Unfortunately for us, many of them are Chinese or European. They actually innovate and do things. Not disposable hit-men and women like our system rewards.

I'm sure there are some here too. But our system rewards bad behavior. Heck, look at....well, you know. You get far in this country by screwing people. To the Top.
So now you are saying most CEOs have their jobs because they screw people. Have I got that right?

Old 12-04-2016, 08:25 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Looks like you are again getting into an area that you don't really understand.
From their very inception, the basis for granting charters of incorporation has been to serve the public interest. There is no reason for government to form or allow the existence of such entities if they do not on balance benefit the public in some way. The history of state law on corporations is littered with such notions. You should perhaps read some of it sometime.

Meanwhile, the point that remains unaddressed is that elevation of the selfish needs and concerns of a tiny few over the general needs and concerns of a great many is exactly the sort of thing that bank robbers do. This is the self-serving, self-justifying, "like it or not" mentality and morality that you defend.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Seriously? This is your example? Your posts are a joke.
People were killed by corporate thugs at Ludlow. Lots of them in fact. Including a great many women and children. Those behind the killings were "widely criticized." That was their punishment.

And of course if you knew your history, you would have recognized Ludlow as merely one example among a great many. Outright massacres were the business of big business prior to WWII. But perhaps you would rather focus on more modern data such as the numbers knowingly killed by the asbestos industry or the tobacco industry. Are those deaths "a joke" too? Can you recall the number who died when Ford and Firestone sent vehicles onto the road with tires they knew would explode at highway speeds? Could you talk to us about deaths in Bhopal or aboard Deepwater Horizon? Do you know what percentage of mining disaster deaths is directly attributable to deliberate failures by management?

Last edited by Pub-911; 12-04-2016 at 09:15 AM..

Old 12-04-2016, 09:44 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Your banker robber analogy makes no sense.
Calling corporate executives "bank robbers" is really just trolling for fun. He knows that Corporations are the primary vehicle by which wealth is created in society, and he knows the job of CEO is to create wealth by creating real solutions for real customers, thereby creating value for both customers and shareholders.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Head count reductions are not part of short term tinkering. Hiring and firing are both expensive endeavors and are made with a long term view.
This. On steroids.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Calling corporate executives "bank robbers" is really just trolling for fun.
Perhaps, but it is not trolling for fun to note that elevation of the selfish needs and concerns of a tiny few over the general needs and concerns of a great many is exactly the sort of thing that bank robbers do.

That's a simple fact.

One that many seem unwilling or unable to address.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
The principle is argument for itself.
Ah. You wish to define your way out of it. Hasn't worked before for you, has it?

Quote:
Decimating people and indeed entire towns is not serving any notion of public good at all.
Corporate executives do not decimate a population. Governments do, but corporations do not. Corporations do not destroy entire towns. Sometimes governments do.

Quote:
The problem here is that corporations have put and made themselves above the law. Any law.
Trolling today, I see.

Utterly untrue, of course, except in the fiction section of the local book store.

Quote:
Some one needs to pull the plug here.
Someone's been listening to too much Lizzy Warren and Jill Stein.

Quote:
World government
Good thing there is no world government, except of course in the fiction aisle at Barnes & Noble.

Quote:
by murderous corporate thugs
Trolling, of course. Who urinated in your corn flakes?

Quote:
ready to sacrifice anything and everything at the altar of next quarter's income statement are not at all a good thing.
Good thing that doesn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates