Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:33 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You're absolutely, 100% correct. You and I can see this from a mile away, and there are others who can as well, but before long it should be self evident to everyone.
There is absolutely no doubt about this. How the heck can anyone deny it when he appoints or considers

Exxon Mobile CEO
Anti-Labor to Labor Dept.
Anti-Environment to EPA
Banksters to MANY Posts (Trump said if we elect Hillary Goldman Sacks would be in the white house - then he appoints 3 top GS people to his admin - you couldn't make this up).

And on and on.....

Hey, I'll do fine - but the poor folks that elected him thinking that things would get better for the common man or woman are going to find out differently.

There are only two possibilities here:
1. Trump knows exactly what he is doing and he wants America to be a Fascist (Collusion between State and Corporations, Nationalism, and Authoritarian) country.
or
2. Trump doesn't know anything and therefore is being steered by Bannon and other consultants to do #1 or to do what is best for $$$ or personal agendas of those who have his ear.

It has been reported that Trump doesn't read much - 3 pages is his limit. It's also been said that his opinion on any subjects depends on who he talked to LAST.

There is nothing about this which doesn't fit the exact mold of Authoritarianism - and Authoritarianism has not worked out well in the present age.

Last edited by craigiri; 12-09-2016 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 08:21 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
There is absolutely no doubt about this. How the heck can anyone deny it when he appoints or considers

Exxon Mobile CEO
Anti-Labor to Labor Dept.
Anti-Environment to EPA
Banksters to MANY Posts (Trump said if we elect Hillary Goldman Sacks would be in the white house - then he appoints 3 top GS people to his admin - you couldn't make this up).

And on and on.....

Hey, I'll do fine - but the poor folks that elected him thinking that things would get better for the common man or woman are going to find out differently.

1. Trump knows exactly what he is doing and he wants America to be a Fascist (Collusion between State and Corporations, Nationalism, and Authoritarian) country.
or
2. Trump doesn't know anything and therefore is being steered by Bannon and other consultants to do #1 or to do what is best for $$$ or personal agendas of those who have his ear.

It has been reported that Trump doesn't read much - 3 pages is his limit. It's also been said that his opinion on any subjects depends on who he talked to LAST.

There is nothing about this which doesn't fit the exact mold of Authoritarianism - and Authoritarianism has not worked out well in the present age.

I agree that historically a consortium of the ultra wealthy and the military and executive powers in DC has not worked out well for a lot of people. During the 1800s it was such an alliance with the banks and the railroads, and mining as well, that had the army at their beck and call. Kept their labor and asset acquisition aims in line. They also had outfits like the Pinkertons and a slew of gun hands they could put to work.

Today, the banks still sit at the top, with big oil not far behind. But sheesh, you can't really even separate who's who anymore. The same people at the top of all the big capital interests are running things all over. The banks and huge business are one in the same. And the military IS big(huge actually) business. Now, do I see the government allowing the military to be utilized by business to ...negotiate...with labor and to shove people off their property at gun point when business desires what they have? In this day and age, I can't see a return to Victorian times.

Trying to use such tactics to govern today would be met with staunch resistance.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:27 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times
There's rumors that Trump won't make it to office because of Russian interference in the elections.

If that happens, folks are going to lose their minds. Violence would erupt nation-wide.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:38 AM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,895 times
The next ten years will be pretty crazy because you have the Boomers reaching their final years and they want to preside over society and leave their mark before they start to die out in large numbers. Then in combination, you have the Millennials coming of age and protesting against the current economic system. They'll probably reform it into something different. After the next ten years, the 2030s will be an era of economic growth and stability. People will start getting tired of chaos and there will be a pent up demand for homes, furniture, babies, etc. The birth rate is going to increase as the Millennials and current babies enter their 30s and 20s. There will be probably be another housing boom too.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:17 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
And that's really the crux of the matter. Politicians can't do much to help the "common man", other than to offer psychological palliatives. It is no less a mistake to think that Trump could help the downtrodden and afflicted, than it was a mistake to think that Obama could promulgate genuine change. Even if we had sincere and competent politicians, who could somehow bury their differences and cooperate effectively, even then, we're stymied by two insurmountable obstacles: (1) Our system, by design, is not conducive to rapid and ambitious change; and (2) what ails and assails the common-man is more about technological progress, market-forces and demographics, than anything that government could do.

Those who will be the most disappointed, are those who expected the most from a change of political leadership. Unless, of course, the impending change really is going to be authoritarian and anti-Constitutional; then amongst the most disappointed, may be those who expected the least.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:42 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:

Experts: Donald Trump will not run for President.
Experts: Donald Trump will never get the nomination.
Experts: Donald Trump will never beat Hillary.
Experts: Donald Trump's presidency will fail.

Three of these predictions were wrong. What makes you think the fourth will be right?

Sorry, but my money's on Trump.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
There's rumors that Trump won't make it to office because of Russian interference in the elections.

If that happens, folks are going to lose their minds. Violence would erupt nation-wide.
No it won't.

Or else - you are saying that the Democrats should have rioted when GWB was appointed by the SCOTUS?

Remember, if Trump is somehow disqualified, it's likely that the same party would still appoint the POTUS. Cheating works. Better to win than to be fair.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Experts: Donald Trump will not run for President.
Experts: Donald Trump will never get the nomination.
Experts: Donald Trump will never beat Hillary.
Experts: Donald Trump's presidency will fail.

Three of these predictions were wrong. What makes you think the fourth will be right?

Sorry, but my money's on Trump.
That's a silly set- pick out your own facts and then declare the conclusion.

Experts - Hillary is polling ahead of Trump - SHE DID WIN MANY MORE VOTES.
Experts - Trump has no way of getting a majority (over 50%) of votes - HE DIDN'T - NOT NEARLY.
Experts - There was no "there" there with the Emails - REALITY - THESE WAS NOT.

Therefore, my money is not on Trump. Silly, right?

Trump lies so much that he's always right and always wrong. For example, he 100% told us the election system was rigged and that, if Hillary won, he wasn't likely to accept it because it was rigged.

Ah, but it was rigged for him (Russians, Comey, GOP Election officials in swing states)...and, NOW, he is 100% certain that the results were perfect.

I mean - it's one thing to be a partisan and cheerleader, but you should be able to take a step or two back and see that kind of BS for what it is.
'

Old 12-10-2016, 06:19 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
That's a silly set- pick out your own facts and then declare the conclusion.

Experts - Hillary is polling ahead of Trump - SHE DID WIN MANY MORE VOTES.
Experts - Trump has no way of getting a majority (over 50%) of votes - HE DIDN'T - NOT NEARLY.
Experts - There was no "there" there with the Emails - REALITY - THESE WAS NOT.

Therefore, my money is not on Trump. Silly, right?

Trump lies so much that he's always right and always wrong. For example, he 100% told us the election system was rigged and that, if Hillary won, he wasn't likely to accept it because it was rigged.

Ah, but it was rigged for him (Russians, Comey, GOP Election officials in swing states)...and, NOW, he is 100% certain that the results were perfect.

I mean - it's one thing to be a partisan and cheerleader, but you should be able to take a step or two back and see that kind of BS for what it is.
'
Elections are won state by state, not nationally. Going state by state, Trump won.

"rigged" -- Yeah, right. Trump said he would wait and see. Then that Green Party candidate -- what was her name again? Stain? Stan? Stone? -- decided the elections were "rigged", set out to prove it by selectively holding recounts only in the states Trump won, ignoring the states where Hillary won by tiny amounts including New Hampshire (less than 2700 votes). So far, Wisconsin found 30 more votes for Trump. Pennsylvania and Michigan courts said, "Go away".

It's over. Accept it. Or if you have proof the election was rigged, please call the New York Times and the FBI immediately and share your information and evidence. The entire world will be interested to learn what you know.

Earning over 50% of the popular votes is desirable for psychological or feel-good reasons, but has nothing to do with getting elected. Bill Clinton didn't break 50% in either term. In fact the will of the country was 60% for a conservative candidate in 1992, but since Perot split the conservatives, it fell to Clinton. I don't hear too many Democrats complaining about that.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:37 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I agree that historically a consortium of the ultra wealthy and the military and executive powers in DC has not worked out well for a lot of people. During the 1800s it was such an alliance with the banks and the railroads, and mining as well, that had the army at their beck and call. Kept their labor and asset acquisition aims in line. They also had outfits like the Pinkertons and a slew of gun hands they could put to work.

Today, the banks still sit at the top, with big oil not far behind. But sheesh, you can't really even separate who's who anymore. The same people at the top of all the big capital interests are running things all over. The banks and huge business are one in the same. And the military IS big(huge actually) business. Now, do I see the government allowing the military to be utilized by business to ...negotiate...with labor and to shove people off their property at gun point when business desires what they have? In this day and age, I can't see a return to Victorian times.

Trying to use such tactics to govern today would be met with staunch resistance.
Well, they're trying to run a pipe up the Sioux Nation's butt and jeopardize their water supply and it's a collaboration of government and corporations. You are seeing people on the front lines, including veterans, and the're willing to die to prevent that pipeline. They don't care if you put it somewhere else, only not there. But I do understand what you're saying and agree with your observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates