Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:29 PM

193 posts, read 169,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I would assume that this is a reference to black people "rallying" to protest police brutality, and these protests devolving into riots. Surely you've heard about the unpleasantness in Ferguson, Baltimore, Milwaukee, Charlotte, and elsewhere, of late.
Those were paid out of state rioters used to discredit the movement. Many have been exposed.

Let's not forget that a cop's wife was busted for pinning a fake burglary on BLM protestors.

Cop's Wife Faked Robbery, Blamed Black Lives Matter

Old 12-09-2016, 12:29 AM

1,122 posts, read 961,950 times
Huh? When I have to sign something that says if I am African American, Hispanic, Asian or Caucasian - I usually mark off Caucasian. Which I am...

I'm Great Britain, Polish and a little Irish according to my sister who did her DNA...with Ancestry.

Oh and I am NOT superior to anyone. I am just me and an American.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:37 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
* Unfortunately, "pro-white" has been synonymous with white separatists and nationalists among other groups.
Why's that unfortunate? White separatism and nationalism are 100% morally legitimate. They're about white people getting away from aggression and exploitation by other races.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:42 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Why's that unfortunate? White separatism and nationalism are 100% morally legitimate. They're about white people getting away from aggression by other races.
Lol. How is the world are white people are white people being exploited by other races. The things that come out of your people's mouths. Like what planet are you living on?

Old 12-09-2016, 06:48 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
YOU're pointing to industrial use of slaves for profit which is an entirely different argument than insisting EVERYBODY who farms is/was dark skinned, poor and in slavish conditions.
I don't know how you come to that conclusion, but all I wrote about was a possible cause for the assumption that lighter is better than darker, based on the status of field workers darkened by the sun, versus those who did not have to work in the sun.

Feel free to expound on whatever you wish, but don't claim I am pointing to the industrial use of slaves for profit.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:02 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
The issue with White identity vs European ethnic identity is some people are so mixed that they don't identity with just one part of Europe. I personally identify as pre 1776 British Southern American since that's 75% of my ancestry and feel affinity with Great Britain and Australia / New Zealand. Truthfully I've found White Northerners and non British Europeans to be some of the most hateful people I've ever met. But other White Americans can be very mixed and 'their people' are simply White Americans.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:42 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times
Moderator cut: Quoted post deleted

Whiteness today is a pathway. It guarantees a better home, a better job, and superior education to what similarly situated others can expect to receive. Whiteness in today's society stakes an immediate claim to being a good person. A white would have to mess up often and badly in order to lose that bit of what he never actually earned to begin with. All others by contrast will be suspect at first meeting and will be engaged in a life-long battle to prove that they deserve the rights and respect promised and supposedly guaranteed to them by law. White people automatically receive the benefit of the doubt in difficult situations. They are the ones who are let off with warnings, while for others, even minor infractions are entered into their "permanent record" so they can be dredged up and re-raised indefinitely as proof of some long-established pattern of deviance and undesirable behavior.

But what about Asians, some will say. After all, Asians soar to such heights that they are regarded today as super-whites. They are the example of what embracing and learning from white culture can do for you. Never mind the completely different histories, backgrounds, and demographics of the typical Asian American versus the typical Black or Hispanic American. The latter should simply do what Asians have proven can be done,. As if they would not have done so had such a thing actually been possible for them. Just more incidental racism there, and that's what suffuses the thread -- the quiet racism of not even recognizing what racism is when it is staring you square in the face.

Last edited by Jeo123; 12-09-2016 at 09:26 AM..

Old 12-09-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The issue with White identity vs European ethnic identity is some people are so mixed that they don't identity with just one part of Europe. I personally identify as pre 1776 British Southern American since that's 75% of my ancestry and feel affinity with Great Britain and Australia / New Zealand. Truthfully I've found White Northerners and non British Europeans to be some of the most hateful people I've ever met. But other White Americans can be very mixed and 'their people' are simply White Americans.
Once again, white is not a racial term, or a race. It's a social term. So if one were to use biology (race is not a biological term, but let's pretend it is), your people are simple caucasion. However not all caucasions are European or "white".

Old 12-09-2016, 08:18 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
None of those towns were burned down.
To quote Ronald Reagan, there you go again. You know full well that when someone describes a riot by saying that the town was burned down, they don't literally mean that every single structure within the city limits was incinerated. It's a shorthand way of describing a riot in which there were fires and property damage -- as in fact did occur in the cities I named, and others too.

And since you still haven't answered my question about what race I am, and since you persist in deliberately refusing to use the traditionally accepted definitions of certain standard American English terms, I'm going to ask you to kindly define your terms. In an effort to be helpful, I'll go first.

White (also sometimes called Caucasian, or tongue-in-cheek European-American): descriptive of persons whose ancestors originated from among the various indigenous people groups of Europe, and whose skin color is typically of a comparatively pale shade. Examples include Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, and me.

Black (also African-American): descriptive of persons whose ancestors originated from among the various indigenous people groups of sub-Saharan Africa, and whose skin color is typically of a comparatively dark shade. Examples include Will Smith and Denzel Washington. Barack Obama self-identifies and is typically identified with this group as well, though he would be more properly described as bi-racial.

Asian (in the context of American English): descriptive of persons whose ancestors originated from among the various indigenous people groups of eastern and southeastern Asia, and whose skin color is typically of a slightly darker shade than that of white people, but of a noticeably lighter shade than that of black people. Examples include Jeremy Lin and Michelle Kwan.

American: descriptive of persons whose citizenship/nationality is that of the United States of America.

Racism: the belief that other racial groups are inferior to one's own. Racism may be committed in thought, word, or deed. I explicitly reject the idea that taking pride in one's own racial group, or celebrating the overall body of accomplishments of the people within one's own racial group, is ipso facto racist.

Your turn.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
To quote Ronald Reagan, there you go again. You know full well that when someone describes a riot by saying that the town was burned down, they don't literally mean that every single structure within the city limits was incinerated. It's a shorthand way of describing a riot in which there were fires and property damage -- as in fact did occur in the cities I named, and others too.
None of those towns were burned down. so that's false. I was in Baltimore a day after the riots, Baltimore wasn't burned to the group. Never been to Ferguson, but pretty sure it wasn't either. What you saw were protest, and small riots, that may have caused some property damage in a limited space. The reality is about 2 or 3 stores receive property damage, and that's the extent of it. so saying "the turn was burned down" is false, and just a sensationalist statement. If the towns were indeed "burned down", ey would STILL be rebuilding these cities. They're not. Because the towns were burned down.

Terminus (what is now called Atlanta) is an example of a town that was burned to the ground. We can't do this. you're going to have to come to me intellectually honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates