Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 03:50 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,119 times

Advertisements

OK, there's a huge difference between prostitution and solicitation. Solicitation is illegal in all counties in NV. Prostitution is legal in all counties except Clark (Las Vegas), Washoe (Reno), Carson (Carson City, state capital), Douglas, and Lincoln. The other counties may have legal brothels but only 8 counties have them.

I guarantee you that they get plenty of business, but to get there is a bit of a transportation nightmare. There is no easy way for a non-local to get to any of these places without renting a car and driving for a few hours, to the middle of pretty much nowhere, and find the ramshackle signs along the 2 lane roads. I'm sure there are maps for those that are interested. I'm just saying that they don't seem to be a major tourist attraction for the majority of visitors and brothels are a destination, not on the way to anything that most people go to NV to see. There seems to be an uptick in interest when a major event is in the city, but most of the year locals forget that it even exists.

The ladies are tested and inspected monthly and must come up clean. Otherwise they are off the books and on meds until they meet the standards of medical doctors, and they are real medical doctors who are well respected. It's a pretty lucrative monthly book of business so there are a fair number of doctors and labs (yes there are monthly lab tests involved) interested in the work.

I'm pretty sure that there is a lot of stuff that goes on in brothels that most people would consider odd at best. But if at any time the lady feels it has gotten out of hand, they have security devices in each room and plenty of security staff to take care of things.

When you live in NV you get used to people asking you about prostitution. They think there are hookers on every corner downtown. You explain that prostitution is legal but solicitation is not and that prostitution is illegal in the three major cities (and respective counties) and a few other counties. I've sat next to guys on planes going into NV who have asked me how you get to the brothels from the airport. Once you explain that they can rent a car and drive a few hours or grab a cab and pay a few hundred $$$ to take them there, I think they mostly end up staying in their hotel room and get On Demand cable instead, way cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 05:57 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
I doubt that lawyers and politicians would appreciate the competition.
As a lawyer I find this type of comment frustrating, but funny.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:06 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
... When you live in NV you get used to people asking you about prostitution. They think there are hookers on every corner downtown. You explain that prostitution is legal but solicitation is not and that prostitution is illegal in the three major cities (and respective counties) and a few other counties. I've sat next to guys on planes going into NV who have asked me how you get to the brothels from the airport. Once you explain that they can rent a car and drive a few hours or grab a cab and pay a few hundred $$$ to take them there, I think they mostly end up staying in their hotel room and get On Demand cable instead, way cheaper.
Kind of like the "Coffee houses" in Amsterdam, Netherlands. (they really are coffee houses; no alcohol or tobacco allowed.) Their mystery and allure is more interesting than the actual thing (at least for the coffee houses ).

Old 05-03-2017, 06:29 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,164 times
It could be restricted to areas or buildings where everyone must show ID to enter, to confirm age and consent, but that would take a bite out of the taxes that legalization would generate.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:21 AM

132 posts, read 139,085 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again... making vices illegal causes crime, plain and simple.

Be they gambling, prostitution, drugs, or whatever else. We can moralise all day long and say how wrong and destructive such habits are, but it doesn't change the fact that they need to be regulated, and brought within the remit of the law.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:35 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
A lot of happy men?
Or happy women if they use male prostitutes? Busy women out there who may not want the hassle of relationship. Works both ways. Personally I find the whole idea disgusting either way.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:12 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,164 times
Gambling is a fantasy of getting something for nothing. It's a tax on stupidity and desperation.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:22 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,480 times
If you make it legal doesn't mean it will be affordable and unless it is affordable people will still resort to back channel illegal options and then some would fight for affordability like healthcare. Overall, not a good idea...

Old 05-07-2017, 10:26 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
If you make it legal doesn't mean it will be affordable and unless it is affordable people will still resort to back channel illegal options and then some would fight for affordability like healthcare. Overall, not a good idea...
There are many vices that are legal. They all didn't degrade to illegal options because of price. That argument can be made for anything... gun control, alcohol, gambling etc. We actually have a case that shows that the opposite occurs than what you state. During prohibition of alcohol, crime actually increased and many of the most infamous criminals came out of that time period.

As for affordability... Law of supply and demand should apply as with all goods and services. There are many vices and non-essentials (which prostitution falls under) that are expensive and I don't see what you predict happening. Certainly healthcare is an essential service. So to compare healthcare to prostitution as a reason for not legalizing is far reaching bordering on illogical.

Yes... there are illegal activity that involve all those however at its core, this is a rights issue... Do people have dominion over their body and individual choice? They have the right to sell. They have a right to have consensual sex. Selling and consensual sex are both individual choices of which prostitution falls under.

Furthermore, it pushes individuals underground unwilling to cooperate with authorities because they themselves are involved in illegal activity. As such prostitutes are targeted for violence and crime. This is my main concern and very much a personal for me.

Last edited by usayit; 05-07-2017 at 10:42 AM..

Old 05-07-2017, 06:11 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
I have a question . Normally money is exchanged for goods or any service. Law enforcement looks for the Cash as Proof. What if an agreement was made to send funds via the mail or other. Form of delivery. No cash involved but sex by two Legal age Adults...in other words..check (money )is in the the mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates