Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 01:20 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Love it. I am sick of those overly bright headlights they use now on the vehicles, particularly the SUVs and pickups. I have a small sedan, and these idiots with their bright lights come right up behind and allow the lights to glare into my mirrors. First of all, this is on a New Jersey major highway, not some country road in the middle of nowhere. You don't NEED headlights like that. Secondly, have some consideration. Unless you ate too many paint chips as a child, you have to realize that your headlights are blinding people when you pull up too close.

I pull over and let them pass, also, but since I am from New Jersey, I am obligated to give them the finger at my side window as they pass, just in case they are looking.
So you are mad at people for using the headlights that come equipped on their cars? What are they supposed to do, change them after they buy the vehicle? You go so far as to call them idiots, then flip them off when they pass you?

I also drive a sedan and get blinded by these lights, but I don't blame people for using the standard equipment on their vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 12:12 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Funny you mentioned about the car lights, we have them and I hate them, We got the car nearly three years ago and I asked for ordinary headlights as I dont like these sharp lights at all, No was the answer, they come as standard now with the Seat so there you go, we cant even choose now on some cars it seems. and I agree about the lights outside some shops, we have them too, reminds me of tacky districts with adult shops
Every car needs those headlights. There's certain advantages that come with being able to see everything in front of your vehicle at night.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:20 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
What Im getting at more is the waste of energy from lighting going upwards towards the sky, surely lighting can be diverted only downwards and street lights could be maximized by refelctive hoods saving loads of energy and allowing for less street lights...
????????????????

A high school football field has their lights directed down at the field yet from a great distance away one can see a glow in the sky.

Anytime you direct light down wards on a dark night there will be a glow upwards.
That certainly doesn't mean that the lights are focused wrong.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:35 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
????????????????

A high school football field has their lights directed down at the field yet from a great distance away one can see a glow in the sky.

Anytime you direct light down wards on a dark night there will be a glow upwards.
That certainly doesn't mean that the lights are focused wrong.
its not a glow you see from a plane over a city.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
If you could see the "dark skies" all the time, you wouldn't care about them. What actual utility is there to it other than providing an "Ooooooh!" moment to those who are not used to the view?
Not why I made the post at all, its about waste of energy with far too many lights being used in a downward postion but streaming out lights from above , and waste of energy in most big shops too. no need for it, A new road is being added near Glasgow and it has no lights as yet , but people are managing the same with their headlights on.... Im not saying have NO lights, IM saying cut the lighting and stop the waste of energy into the sky.surely it can be harnessed more. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4794249.

Last edited by dizzybint; 12-17-2016 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-17-2016, 10:32 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times
By its own nature and that of its environments, light is subject to scatter. It does not long proceed in a straight line from a point-source. It ends up going all over the place, and it's not like you can somehow mop up what's been sloshed over onto unintended targets. Light does have a cost however, and when that cost starts to exceed perceived benefits, it becomes likely that less light will be produced.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:25 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
So you are mad at people for using the headlights that come equipped on their cars? What are they supposed to do, change them after they buy the vehicle? You go so far as to call them idiots, then flip them off when they pass you?

I also drive a sedan and get blinded by these lights, but I don't blame people for using the standard equipment on their vehicles.
I blame them for pulling so close they are shining those lights in my mirrors. It's rude and dangerous. As you point out, yes, they come with the vehicle. The drivers KNOW that, don't they? So why be so aggressive with those lights on the highway?

Old 12-18-2016, 12:10 PM

Poor quality designed lighting is the problem on roads I feel and loads of energy is wasted.

Night-time light pollution is exacerbated by poor lighting design, installation and maintenance providing illumination outside the area of benefit. This results in light emitted in unnecessary or unwanted directions. Street lighting is usually required to illuminate the road surface and objects below the level of the light source, but poor lighting design can lead to significant proportions of light emitted upwards or at the horizontal. Commercial lighting (such as illuminated advertisements) and architectural lighting may be specifically designed to emit horizontal or vertical light, as do most emissions from road vehicles. Horizontal and near-horizontal light emittance increases the visibility of light sources from a distance, increasing the potential to disrupt animal navigation, and significantly increases the illuminated area, in turn increasing the encroachment of light into adjacent unlit areas. Moreover, due to the long path lengths of near-horizontal light through the atmosphere, light emitted in this direction produces more skyglow than that emitted upward, and much more than light emitted downward.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3546378/

Old 12-18-2016, 04:52 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
its not a glow you see from a plane over a city.
HID stadium lights...yeah pretty sure you can see that skinny pole with 30lights perched on it, and there's usually no less than six of these things on.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:53 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
By its own nature and that of its environments, light is subject to scatter. It does not long proceed in a straight line from a point-source. It ends up going all over the place, and it's not like you can somehow mop up what's been sloshed over onto unintended targets. Light does have a cost however, and when that cost starts to exceed perceived benefits, it becomes likely that less light will be produced.
Maybe he wants lights to be replaced with lasers, that have more focused beams...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates