Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 08:11 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
One issue among mentally ill people is that they have nowhere to do, many are homeless or have other serious issues. Most mental asylums as we think of them were shut down in the 70s/80s. While granted they did have issues with a lot of abuse and other awful things, do you think if we were to bring back the mental asylums of old albeit with much better supervision and oversight, it would be a good thing in dealing with all the mentally ill people we do have?
No, that is not the way to go at all. What many fail to realize is that while "rights" of the mentally ill were touted as the reason for closure, the truth was that the states saw this as attractive because of the savings. Had it been done right, and adequate support services been put in place, we would not have the mental health crisis that we now have.

I have an adult son with Down syndrome and I certainly would not want to see society go back to putting people like him with developmental disabilities into institutions. I have read about what happened and even met people who came out of institutions being moved into the community.

We always seem to have money for programs for refugees ($65,000 each for every Syrian refugee) and also illegal aliens ($113 billion per year) yet people scream their heads off about helping veterans, mentally ill, developmentally/physically disabled and elderly, our fellow citizens.

So, no, institutions are not the answer, investing in our fellow citizens and serving Americans first is where the answer lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 09:04 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
So called Asylums usually held people with a wide range of conditions, from those with a learning disability through to elderly people wsith Dementia through to schizophrenics and other mental health conditions and even those involved in the Forensic (Criminal) Mental Health system.

Snipped.
In the old movie "Bedlam", about the London asylum St. Mary's of Bethlehem (yup, that's where the term comes from), a woman who is seeking to reform the asylum is committed to the asylum by her enemies. In one scene, she talks to a man whom she says does not appear to be mentally ill, and he grins and says, "Oh my family just puts me in here to keep me off the drink."

Of course, it's a fictional story, but you are right--people were often committed for things that could be treated outside of an institution.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:25 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
No, that is not the way to go at all. What many fail to realize is that while "rights" of the mentally ill were touted as the reason for closure, the truth was that the states saw this as attractive because of the savings. Had it been done right, and adequate support services been put in place, we would not have the mental health crisis that we now have.

I have an adult son with Down syndrome and I certainly would not want to see society go back to putting people like him with developmental disabilities into institutions. I have read about what happened and even met people who came out of institutions being moved into the community.

We always seem to have money for programs for refugees ($65,000 each for every Syrian refugee) and also illegal aliens ($113 billion per year) yet people scream their heads off about helping veterans, mentally ill, developmentally/physically disabled and elderly, our fellow citizens.

So, no, institutions are not the answer, investing in our fellow citizens and serving Americans first is where the answer lies.
Were people with down syndrome put into mental institutes / asylums, or just different schools? My oldest daughter was born with hearing loss, and in a previous state qualified for education at a "special" school for kids with disabilities when she was young (preschool age).

Now my daughter is in a regular public elementary school (5th grade), probably one of the "best" in the metropolitan area (at least by test scores). This school has the highest number of kids in "GT" in the district, but there's no tracking. The administration sort of hides that there are "disabled" kids there (for instance, their pictures won't go in the yearbook). The "disabled kids", to the best of my knowledge, all have either down syndrome or physical disabilities.

My daughter says those kids are nice, and hasn't complaining about their abilities or work ethic. My daughter is in "GT", and gets very annoyed at a lot of the "regular" kids. However, she has never complained about the "disabled" kids, other than asking why they are separated out.

Personally, I think what may be considered normal, things like laziness and nomophobia, represent more of a problem than any kids with down syndrome.

I know down syndrome causes cognitive impairment, and maybe it's a reflection on modern American society, but at least at my daughter's school these kids are mainstreamed and doing better than some of the "normal" kids.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:37 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

In terms of schizophrenics, who made up the vast majority of the psychiatric cases in such Asylums, modern drugs have transformed the treatment of such conditions and although some hospitalisation may be required, there are a number of options including low security hospitalisation and indeed supported housing/hostels and Community Psychiatric Teams which include Psychiatrists, Community Psychiatric Nurses (CPN's) and Approved Social Workers.

The problem with this has been- in the US anyway- is that the mentally ill cannot be forced to take their meds so most don't. We see them in the US all over the sidewalks- part of the increasing homeless population.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:41 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Why does it have to all or nothing? There needs to be a continuum of care because mental illness happens on a continuum!

Some people are completely incapacitated and can't support or care for themselves. Others can't work but can cook and care for themselves and otherwise live in an independent setting. Others need "sheltered" employment" and check in services by home health worker or nurse every day or week. Others just need meds/therapy.

But no - we either give them the boot or pay through the nose to "commit" someone. It's the typical "I don't want to think" - either lock 'em up or let 'em starve. We need to get a lot more sophisticated in all levels of treatment.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:56 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Since they closed those state places, it has been a disaster for most of the people who were in there. In a New England town that had several buildings for state care, all of a sudden there were homeless people everywhere. The number of drunks passed out on the sidewalks and halfway into the streets became noticeable. I guess among the "rights" these people had, were the "right" to suffer.

About a decade ago, the state decided to open one of the old boarding houses for the winter. The water was turned on, the electric was on, and so was the heat. Approximately 50 people moved in for the winter. I remember seeing them out on the porch on nice days. No care or supervision.

Whatever anyone thinks about "mentally ill" persons, I think it would be an act of mercy for states and municipalities to open whatever residential facilities they have to the homeless, even if not mentally ill. A lot of people just have trouble managing their lives. It's not only about money. But especially in winter, we really should have a place for street people to live in comfort.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:12 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
This is one of those situations where I don't know what the answer is. But I KNOW that what we are doing now is a disaster. I look particularly at the homeless, most all of whom are mentally ill to some degree or another. In 2016 you don't choose to live in a lean-to in the brush when the nights are well below freezing unless there is something seriously wrong with you.

I'll tell you what I think the 2 main problems are to finding solutions:
1. $$$
2. out of sight - out of mind

People say we are a nation of caring, generous Christians. Baloney. "Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me."

Old 12-15-2016, 10:13 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
There is no simple answer to this but I see it as being two big difficulties, the way we view and treat mental illness in our society and money.

People who need long term inpatient or day treatment psychiatric care are typically non working so someone has to pick up the bill. And if you don't believe mental illness exists, or you think it's something they do to themselves or that it can't actually be treated you have no interest in allocating funding for it.

There are hospitals and treatment centers or programs (especially for adolescents) still out there but most are private, many do not take insurance etc...

Also, insurance hates paying for mental health care, it's an archaic system and incredibly frustrating to deal with.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:23 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is one of those situations where I don't know what the answer is. But I KNOW that what we are doing now is a disaster. I look particularly at the homeless, most all of whom are mentally ill to some degree or another. In 2016 you don't choose to live in a lean-to in the brush when the nights are well below freezing unless there is something seriously wrong with you.

I'll tell you what I think the 2 main problems are to finding solutions:
1. $$$
2. out of sight - out of mind

People say we are a nation of caring, generous Christians. Baloney. "Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me."
I know this is all sorts of crazy, but maybe we could take some of those billions we spend on making new, improved weaponry and use it to take care of our most vulnerable citizens?

Nah. Didn't think that would fly.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:59 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know this is all sorts of crazy, but maybe we could take some of those billions we spend on making new, improved weaponry and use it to take care of our most vulnerable citizens?

Nah. Didn't think that would fly.
We could also look at prison reform, I think it's disgusting that we spend more on housing nonviolent, low level offenders (many who have mental illness) than we do on those who are sick or homeless in our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates