Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 04:50 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times

Advertisements

So you are thinking that 1 degree Celsius is inconsequential? And does the blade of that hockey stick suggest that it's going to be one degree and out?

Here's the deal -- solar and volcanic forcings have been responsible for some of the variations in Northern Hemisphere temperature over the past 1,000 years, but neither solar nor volcanic forcing can explain the dramatic warming of the 20th century. By themselves in fact, these forcings would have resulted in a small cooling trend since 1960. Only by adding the human-caused increase in greenhouse gas concentrations are climate models able to explain the unprecedented warmth we are currently experiencing. There is no other way to have the model results match up with the observed facts. CO2 is what's responsible for the warming, and people are what have been responsible for the CO2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 05:01 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Now, that graph appears to tell a horrific story, and would seem to indicate man's culpability. But, let's take a look at another graph, showing the changes over the last 10,000 years. Note the rise beginning at 10,000 years ago (read from right to left). Did Man cause that? It hardly seems likely.

Note the peaks 7-6,000 years ago, much, much warmer...and then, note the trend since then- down and down and down. A bit different view, isn't it?

It was much warmer in the not so distant past and Man didn't cause it, nor did he cause the subsequent decline.

I have some other graphs, but rather than link them all again I'm just going to link to a post on the topic I made on another forum earlier this year that has them:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...l#post42661799
Attached Thumbnails
Climate Change: 50 F Above Normal at North Pole-10kyr.jpg  

Old 12-22-2016, 05:16 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
So you are thinking that 1 degree Celsius is inconsequential?
<Sigh> I made no indication that I thought it was "inconsequential". Leave it to you to take exactly the opposite from what the post was intended to convey. In fact, the post was intended to illustrate that the graph seems to indicate a rise in temperature roughly coinciding with the development of the 'Industrial Age', illustrating why it would appear that 'Global Warming' was 'man made'...as a prelude to a subsequent post that would show the opposite. Even when I try to make it look like I might be agreeing with some folks, those same folks will find a reason to argue. You couldn't wait until I actually gave you one?

Old 12-22-2016, 05:24 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times
Less arguing is called for here than simple dismissing out of hand. The science was settled years ago. You either get it, or you don't.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:53 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
The science of the situation is meanwhile beyond question at this point. Warming is in fact occurring. It is well outside the bounds of any historical precedent. The proximate cause of it is increasing levels of CO2 resulting from human activity.
The latter is still up for debate. We are still coming out of the last ice age so who's to say that global warming isn't just part of the earths natural freeze/thaw cycle.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:12 PM

516 posts, read 429,417 times
I read this once upon a time:

Phil's ramblings, descent into the next ice age occuring now, physics, AGW theory, random disco thread. - Western US Wx Discussion - Western USA Weather Forums

Just like how the Sahara had snow for the first time in 37 years.........HMMMMMMMMMM.

Wow. First the Sahara stirs things up by greening. Yes, even National Geographic reproted on that several years ago.
Thanks CO2.
Now snow for the first time in 37 years.

What is truly funny is how for COLD in an unusual place the media is quick to explain how something as simple as a change in atmospherics is responsible.
But when it is warm in an unusual place (part of the Arctic) the media is quick to blame climate change rather than the same change in atmospherics.

Learn a bit about the differences between zonal flow and meridional flow of the Circumpolar Vortex. It explains how meridional flow allows cold to reach farther south and warmth to reach farther north. No CO2 needed. Nothing man made about it.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:46 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
Just like how the Sahara had snow for the first time in 37 years.........HMMMMMMMMMM.
It appears it wasn't unusual for the temperature in the Sahara was cold enough for snow, just unusual that enough moisture was in the air to produce snow.

Quote:
The temperature range in the Sahara Desert from day to night can differ as much as 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The average annual temperature is 86 F. During the hottest months, temperatures range from 100 F to over 120 F. Overnight freezing temperatures are common during the winter.
https://www.reference.com/geography/...2bef9c678d4e5a

Old 12-22-2016, 09:51 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Nobody is going to convince Republicans anything about global climate change. They are anti science and only believe it if it was on Faux news..

Old 12-22-2016, 10:05 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,457,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That is 8-10 degrees warmer than normal for this time of year. In northern Siberia, by early November, the temp has usually dropped to -50 C. Just saying.
No, it hasn't. The coldest places in Siberia (Oymyakon and Verkhoyansk) don't even get -50c average lows except in the dead of winter (only mid January). You can even check the averages here

- Oimiakon:

- Verhojansk:

Regarding agw, I think it's real and should be addressed. But, with these anti-science populist movements popping up all over the world, it doesn't look like it'll be addressed any time soon. I don't care much honestly. Mankind gets what's coming to it.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:32 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,165,182 times
Chart from the Danish Meteorological Institute shows how unusual this winter has been at the North Pole. The blue horizontal line is 32 deg F; the green line is a 30-year average (normal temperature); and the red line are the 2016 temperature measurements.

https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/812023949135585280
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates