Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2016, 03:44 PM

9,508 posts, read 4,342,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Well some might argue they don't won't to expose their kids to a vile, despicable human being and his barking trained seals.
Others might argue that no matter who won the election, their kids were going to be exposed to a vile, despicable human being. Anyone who thinks Clinton is any better than Trump is delusional.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:51 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I disagree, regardless what your stance is on him he will our President. As such it would be an honor and he will now deserve respect.
No. He will have the chance to earn our respect.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:53 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The bands have to APPLY. In a break with past practice, no DC bands did. Here are a couple links reporting that FACT with interviews of band directors. I don't know how you can expect to get much more than that to accept the FACT. As to the interviews themselves, it's print journalism and not all interviews are taped. And sure some of the reported reasons for not applying may sound silly. There are bands from outside the DC area who would like to march.

"I think everybody knows why and no one wants to say and lose their job," John Newson, band director at Howard University in the district, told NBC."

DC high school bands set to break inaugural parade tradition | Washington Examiner

Here's another reporting band director comments:

"When asked why, the schools were mostly silent — or gave bologna excuses.

Ballou High School’s Majestic Marching Knights “decided to take a break in January” the school’s principal told NBC4. They performed Destiny’s Child’s “Lose My Breath” at former President George W. Bush’s second inaugural parade in 2005, and stepped along Pennsylvania Avenue as they played James Brown’s “I Got You (I Feel Good)” at President Obama’s second inaugural parade eight years later, the station said.

Eastern High School officials declined to comment on why the school chose to sit out Mr. Trump’s parade.

Howard University officials said they were under “budgetary constraints” this year and that’s the reason the D.C. university chose not to march. Like it costs so much to walk a few blocks.

The Lesbian and Gay Band Association, which included the D.C. group Different Drummers, also opted to skip Mr. Trump’s inaugural parade because of “safety concerns,” — you know, because Mr. Trump and his supporters are a bunch of deplorables.

“While the parade route itself should be a safe zone, we cannot hope to guarantee our safety while traveling, while rehearsing in public or while out and about in the D.C. area during the weekend,” the band’s board of directors said in a statement. “All minorities are at risk and any opportunity we give the new administration to co-opt a minority organization will likely be exploited to our detriment.” "

Donald Trump inaugural parade: D.C. marching bands refuse to participate - Washington Times
So all these bands have tens of thousands of dollars at the ready to pay for the trip, have uniforms, HOTEL, travel arrangements, meal arrangements, parental permissions, chapparones, all approved by the school board just weeks before the inauguration.

On the OFF chance that the application is accepted??

Hey, give me your number, I have a bridge to sell you.

Lots of "officials" said this nonsense. AGAIN.

Any parents? Any students? I mean they were SO VOCAL, staging walkouts, gathering playdoh.

But *suddenly* not one parent or student wants to speak the press?

Riiiiiiiight.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:54 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the other question to the side of that coin if you find trump repulsive for his mocking the disabled, his vile comments about women. his disrespect for a POW, his bigotry towards people based on their race or religion. then yes you do not send your kids to honor a man you find repulsive.
None of this stuck and that is why it is Trump's inauguration. Sadly, what you are saying is amounts to sour grapes as evidenced by the diversity of those that supported/voted for Trump.

I think this shows bad sportsmanship, but from what I understand, that is the standard now thus this nonsense along with all the rest of it.

We know what the schools are teaching and that is why so many are homeschooling and/or asking for vouchers!

Those that want to whine about Trump.................

Old 12-24-2016, 03:55 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Typical leftist response. Attack your opponent while ignoring your parties hypocrisy.
Pot calling the kettle black....except the Trump pot is a heckuva lot bigger and blacker.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:07 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Aery11, I just came down to print a recipe so will take the time to read your thoughtful message later tho I skimmed it. Two thoughts came to mind.

Trump is going to be President - no question - and like you, I'm sure hoping for the best. Some of what he proposed was attractive to me, but his possible policies are in such flux right now that its hard to view him in term of POLICY.

First, we CAN separate the man from the President - actions can reach the level of legal or personal dishonor. That was required at the time of Nixon and Clinton sure was skating on thin ice with Lewinski. Beginning with the primaries, Trump campaigned like no other even though there's been lots of dirty politics around. Never will I get used to the public name-calling. Never. I absolutely choked when he said that Hillary had hate in her heart and that she was Satan (or the Devil) during the second debate. And not because of "poor Hillary." Rather, the debates were an address of sorts to the nation and here he sure flunked "Presidential."

Second, my kid will soon no longer be a teen. When she was a child, I would ask that she not speak disrespectfully of George Bush repeating just what you have in your post. Oppose what he did, but not deride him as a man or as a President in any way. But I'm not at this time (or at least as strongly) asking the same of her for Trump. In part, because she's a teen and, more, some of what he's said has touched on the racial. That she may never forget or overlook. Plus as I mentioned earlier, we're of different races and that leads to a different dynamic.

But more, I don't believe that Trump has yet earned the right to be accorded all the PERSONAL honor due to a President. He's won the election, but that needs to (hopefully) come. Sure if I were to be invited to a WH dinner, I would behave very properly - again, yes, for the office and for simple human politeness. But if my daughter declined to accompany me to the dinner, I would both understand and respect her view.
Thank you. I could talk to you I am sure - you sound very reasonable and rational. We might disagree on a number of points but that is ok .. where I take issue is with those who just scream about things and can't really back them up, and accuse those of us who voted differently than they did of something akin to being mass murderers, etc. That approach doesn't sound productive to me.

And these days it does seem as though a knife has cut the country apart which leads me to believe that no matter what people will NOT carefully consider each action under President Trump (once inaugurated) individually and decide what makes it right or wrong, good or bad for the country (long or short term) or even try to understand where he may be coming from and why. Very short sighted in my view. And it will not heal anything.

At any rate .. thanks again .. your post shows all I would ask of anyone right now - respect for both sides. I understand completely if you were to accept your teenage daughter's request to stay home - my problem is with those who would school their kids to hate something even the adults don't 'know' about for sure .. or lead by violent example or nasty words. Parents have a big influence over their kids. And by the way, I too would behave appropriately IF I were invited to dinner with any President (or anyone at all). I might find it difficult to not discuss politics though if I was at a White House dinner and they were brought up. I would just hope in that case that I could present cogent arguments, fully supported viewpoints, etc. and that someone sitting beside me would do the same without having hysterics, calling me names (that are not my own) or judging me as some enemy just for seeing things differently.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:14 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I disagree, regardless what your stance is on him he will our President. As such it would be an honor and he will now deserve respect.
In my world, respect is earned. It is not automatically given to someone because of a job title. I respect the office of the presidency. I do not automatically respect the person who occupies it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Others might argue that no matter who won the election, their kids were going to be exposed to a vile, despicable human being. Anyone who thinks Clinton is any better than Trump is delusional.
You are missing the point as a number of others have. Undoubtedly many disagreed with Hillary based on policies. Some felt that Hillary had committed illegal acts, despite the absence of criminal charges. However, this has nothing to do with why many of us find Trump vile and despicable. Trump repeatedly used racist and sexist rhetoric. The Hollywood Access Tape took the campaign to a whole new low. All this stuff was literally unfit for children's ears. Whether Clinton was unfit to be President or not, she never talked talked in a misogynistic or bigoted manner. She never used a four letter word in a speech. That's what puts Trump in a different league. Its why some of us don't want our children, or young people, around him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
None of this stuck and that is why it is Trump's inauguration. Sadly, what you are saying is amounts to sour grapes as evidenced by the diversity of those that supported/voted for Trump.

I think this shows bad sportsmanship, but from what I understand, that is the standard now thus this nonsense along with all the rest of it.

We know what the schools are teaching and that is why so many are homeschooling and/or asking for vouchers!

The point is this is not simply a situation where there was a binary choice and my choice lost. That happened in 2000 and I was still satisfied to watch George W. Bush become President. Bush and my candidate, Gore, disagreed with each other on a policy basis. However, it was a totally decent campaign and the candidates campaigned on issues. Trump's comments and demeanor throughout this election place this whole election in a different context. My problem with Trump is not that he is a Republican representing conservative interests. My problem is that he isn't a decent human being. He's shown that again and again through the comments and tweets he has made.

Its why so many of us cannot look upon this inauguration with any positivity. You can try and beat that "sore loser drum" ad infinitum. There's simply more at stake here. Someone who could look at this objectively would admit that.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:18 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
It is obvious that we ascribe different criteria for those two classifications. I could trust Hillary with a short brief encounter with my daughters however Trump I wouldn't trust him anywhere near any attractive woman or teenage girl I care about the man is a total filthy pig. Don't get me started that's not even the tip of the iceberg.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:21 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

put down the kool aid. none of it stuck with trump supporters, doesn't mean the rest of us have to accept and approve of his racist, boorish mind set.

bad sportsmanship is a laugh when you consider the obstructionist policies for Obama's 8 year term. now you want the left to just shut up?

what's taught in school is the basics. funny how some conservatives see education as indoctrination.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:08 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Time-honored means of expressing social discontent. I'm not sure if the Supreme Court has put its stamp of approval on egg-throwing, but it certainly has with respect to flag-burning.
Vandalism isn't covered under "free speech". I'm surprised that you don't know this. Protesters holding non-violent events are allowed to do so. If it's a big event, then they need to get permits.

Protesters---no matter what their political leanings are, don't have any right to throw eggs, etc. If they do behave like fools and decide to become violent, then they will get arrested.

It's despicable that you would cheer on such violent acts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates