Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2016, 05:14 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Yup, this supply-side, trickle-down nonsense does nothing but fail, fail, fail. Meanwhile, a cat jumps on a hot stove just once.
If the cats owner got 100K every time he threw puzzy on the stove, he or she would be trying to toss kitty there regularly. That's what we have going on here.

No one really believes all this stuff. The truth is just that some see it benefiting them personally and could care less if it hurts others to do that.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:41 PM

269 posts, read 246,815 times
Business' still use the mail. I work in the mailroom at a large residential facility and we process thousands of pieces of mail every day.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:58 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
No, because not everybody in the country have a computer or even computer literate, especially the poor. This is still the only way for millions people, and they don't have extra money to be using these other services. Also, many don't drive or will have transportation to get to these other carriers, then you have city vs rural. It's already been downsized and streamlined due to the competition, but I wouldn't do away with it.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:42 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Time to analyze USPS and improve it.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:55 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I have all my bills on ebill, autopay, etc. I haven't been inside a Post Office for years. For important documents like real estate settlements or court documents, I use FedEx or UPS. For money transfers I use wire transfers (and I do them online, not at the bank).

Yet, every day I get mail at my house, courtesy of USPS. It is nothing but grocery and store circulars, come-ons from credit card companies or insurance companies. A few holiday catalogues, some charity solicitations. NOTHING of import. When you look at the cost to fund USPS, it's staggering.

Time to get rid of USPS in my opinion...let FedEx, UPS, DHL take up the slack.
Not get rid of it, but maybe time to take the shackles off to let them get more competitive by competing in other areas. USPS will always lose money, as it has to service lots of areas that wouldn't be profitable to for profit entities. As part of a true Federal program, the service is provided to all. Even bank pay items still go through the mail when links aren't setup.

No, letting USPS reevaluate their business they are in if we want them profitable. The safeguarding and transporting of items from all to all should be booming at the moment. Why do we here of Amazon making drones and not the USPS? Why is overnight delivery not allowed internationally? Why is the storage industry expanding tremendously and not USPS?

If the government were to spin off USPS, the value would be amazing. They have great real estate, paid for buildings and truck fleets. They connect with every available API, and could do many things. Lastly, they still have the tabs on who sends what to who. The danger is that they would become too powerful and start crowding out others. So their product offerings are limited. The resulting losses are staggering, but a lot of that money is going right into people's paychecks. They don't exactly attract the most ambitious of employees. Maybe we have to sell a couple of Joint Strike Fighters to Taiwan to make up the difference.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:42 AM

60 posts, read 51,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I live in a townhouse community, and although it is not a senior community, there are plenty of seniors in it. For those who demonstrate a true need, they will deliver their mail to their door, instead of using the community boxes.
How does one file for this?

Old 01-01-2017, 07:52 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya1985 View Post
How does one file for this?
Sounds exactly where I live, lol.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:19 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Yes so there can be less living wage jobs. Get rid of the USPS and hire more minimum wage workers so the rest of us can just enjoy and pay less.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:18 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Not get rid of it, but maybe time to take the shackles off to let them get more competitive by competing in other areas. USPS will always lose money, as it has to service lots of areas that wouldn't be profitable to for profit entities. As part of a true Federal program, the service is provided to all. Even bank pay items still go through the mail when links aren't setup.

No, letting USPS reevaluate their business they are in if we want them profitable. The safeguarding and transporting of items from all to all should be booming at the moment. Why do we here of Amazon making drones and not the USPS? Why is overnight delivery not allowed internationally? Why is the storage industry expanding tremendously and not USPS?

If the government were to spin off USPS, the value would be amazing. They have great real estate, paid for buildings and truck fleets. They connect with every available API, and could do many things. Lastly, they still have the tabs on who sends what to who. The danger is that they would become too powerful and start crowding out others. So their product offerings are limited. The resulting losses are staggering, but a lot of that money is going right into people's paychecks. They don't exactly attract the most ambitious of employees. Maybe we have to sell a couple of Joint Strike Fighters to Taiwan to make up the difference.
As long as Congress wants USPS to fail they will refuse to allow them to do anything that might make them profitable

"Ending Saturday mail deliveries had been a key element in the cost-cutting plans of former Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe. He claimed he could save upwards of $3 billion a year by ending the service.
Members of Congress rejected those plans repeatedly. They passed legislation requiring that the USPS not reduce its service below the levels of 1984."
USPS abandons quest to end Saturday mail delivery

Old 01-01-2017, 11:14 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I notice they seem to be getting later and later here!!

They used to come around NOON everyday!! -- Then last year it started getting later round 1 or so........ Then recently its been as late as 15:30!!!

I dunno.....
Mondays, days after holidays and between Thanksgiving and Christmas (due to sheer volume) they are typically at their worst. I noticed USPS have stabilized their delivery hours this week a little bit. Remember, the last month has been between Thanksgiving and Christmas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates