Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 06:36 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What you haven't done is explained why one group of Americans should suffer when local government fails...as they often do.
Because, duh, you elected your state, county and city government? Your local government is failing because you elected losers. Unless you live in a disaster area where the disaster destroyed your economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This is a BIG right wing talking point.

Maybe I can slightly change your mind with real world experience?

My wife was an elected official in local politics. This was in a Republican town although she ran as a Democrat but then dropped out of the Dem (they, too, were crooked) and ran independent - and won in a landslide.

I could write you a book. But just as some examples of the corruption of local politics from the bottom to the top....

It gets even better. When the state gives you the 100's of millions, you get to keep your land and farm it as before. It's only that you cannot develop it - of course, since it's swamp, pinelands and cranberry bogs you couldn't have developed it anyway.

Well, I'm tired of writing for now....I could go on to the sex parties and even the murder (gotten away with - and/or the murderer or his family rewarded for keeping quiet so the whole political class wasn't exposed).

But - hey - if you like this type of thing you will LOVE more power locally.
Maybe so but that's who you elected, a corrupt local government.

Looking at it from my point of view, why should my federal taxes subsidize your electoral dysfunction?

I own 4 properties in Phoenix where in my area about half of my property taxes go towards paying for our educational system. And guess what? We have one of the top rated educational systems in the nation.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:51 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Because, duh, you elected your state, county and city government? Your local government is failing because you elected losers. Unless you live in a disaster area where the disaster destroyed your economy.

Looking at it from my point of view, why should my federal taxes subsidize your electoral dysfunction?

I own 4 properties in Phoenix where in my area about half of my property taxes go towards paying for our educational system.
And guess what? We have one of the top rated educational systems in the nation.
Arizona, huh?

A state which gets far more federal $ than it sends to DC. Me? I'm in Minnesota - one of those states sending far more $ to DC than it gets in return (so DC can send it to states like yours).

You were saying?

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...takers/361668/

Isn't it great living in a society in which people are educated, acquiring the means to go out and earn good money... and then pay rent to people like you?

You're not an island.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:31 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:

I own 4 properties in Phoenix where in my area about half of my property taxes go towards paying for our educational system. And guess what? We have one of the top rated educational systems in the nation.
---------quoted material below

"it's no secret that around 40 percent of Arizona's revenue is federal money, which is the sixth-highest percentage in the nation.

But the finance website WalletHub came up with a pseudo-scientific measure of a state's dependency on Washington with a few other factors, too.

Arizona also has a slightly above-average number of federal employees per capita.

Factor in those three things, and they figure Arizona's 10th-most reliant on the federal government.
-------------------------------------

Ah, so you take our money and then call it your own - and then say the Fed Gov. is bad bad bad for giving you (and saving you) OUR money.

As far as "me electing" corrupt pols, that's plain silly. People - human beings - are very easily corruptible by nature. You can always find a person (probably a LOT of people) to "sell out" for money. That's largely what pols are and what they do. The pope wasn't running in any local elections...

The benefit - sometimes - of federal laws and bureaucrats - is they are often employed in the civil service (not related to one party or the other) and work as a career. So, at least they have don't put $$ in their pockets to the tune of 10's or hundreds of millions like the local pols do.

If your schools work OK, that's great. Seems like they did so....wait...with the existing system! If I'm not wrong we do have a Post Office and Educational Department.

I think most of your school taxes should be local also. But I don't think that, for example, you should be able to teach that Lincoln started the War of Northern Aggression or that Arizona was purchased from the Indians.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:44 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:

"Duh"? This is not the politics sub-forum.

You're missing the point. You can go back through American history and find more than one time when local government (which is no more likely to be effective than federal government...and probably much less so) didn't do its job to protect its citizens (civil rights is a great example of that, and frankly, so is education in many locations)...and that's when federal government stepped in. It isn't just that you elected lousy government, so now suffer. It's about what can government -- and what level -- do more to serve the constituency.

I hear you conservatives constantly talk about government closest to the people is best, but who then choose to ignore all the failures of local government.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:46 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:

Arizona schools are generally rated "in the middle". Or are you talking about a particular district? If so, which one.

But even then, what is your point?

Old 01-15-2017, 09:43 AM

I know only my particular area which has top rated school districts. YMMV My point is that half my property taxes goes to the school system. Evidently they are using it well.

In any case my example is of an area where local government is working, and I admit that one area working does not prove my point.

In any case we seem have drifted from USPS to DOE and I regret turning this topic off its main discussion.

That's all I have to say on the matter of education. Let's get back to USPS.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
Some complain that Arizona has more federal dollars spent there than the amount of dollars they send to the federal government. Remember Arizona is one of the lower populated states which limits the amount of fed taxes they send to Washington.

Lets look at why so much more money is sent to Arizona than is sent from Arizona.

Military Basis. There are 7 military bases in Arizona, which is where the federal government spends a lot of the money that is sent to Arizona.

Two largest Indian reservations in the United states, and in addition there are 8 others. Remember the Indian Reservations are Federal and the Federal Government sends a lot of money there. Remember that those 2 reservations, are both larger than a small state in the North East.

Without the military bases, and the Indian Reservations, Arizona would be sending more than they receive.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:56 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
LOL If a person can't afford a computer or have internet access where they live, what makes you think they can afford a smartphone or a tablet?
What the city residents cannot understand, is that there are many areas of the country where there is no cell phone service, and no Internet service. A computer, a smart phone, or a tablet, are of no use to them in allowing them to use this type of service, regardless of how cheap it is to live if you have those services.

Many of them have very slow phone service, and very old slow dial up Internet, which often does not have enough speed to handle any of the more advanced services you are used to in populated areas.

Our housekeeper and her family live 6 miles from our town, out on a mountain top with 1.5 mile long road to get to their house from the road. Cost to install a phone line, Internet is over $20,000. Well over $20,000 to run them electrical service off of the grid. They have had to install solar power, with a back up diesel generator to have power. They are fortunate as being up on top of the hill, have access to cell phone. But the people lower down on the mountain, cannot do that and less than 6 miles from town. They have internet through their cell phone provider. Six months a year, UPS and FedEX will not deliver to them as they fear steep mountain gravel roads in the winter.

Their ability to get packages in those 6 months is pure USPS.

There are huge chunks of the USA that do not have phone service, Internet, Electrical Power, etc., etc, that leaves a local post office and the USPS package delivery, etc., their only real contact with the outside world.

Get out to where they grow your beef, and grain for your bread, and that is where the Local Post Office, is the most important and possibly the only service available to them. When you talk about using the Internet, Cell Phone, Tablet, etc., to communicate with the outside world, many of the people living there have no real understanding of what the city dwellers are talking about. And those demanding getting rid of those postal services out in areas like that, have no idea of how they need the post office for them to survive.

Only way to communicate with outside world. Only way to receive packages, and mail (no email possible). There may or may not be a slow land line available, but often not available as they don't have $20,00 or $50,000 or more it would cost them to have the phone company bring them a land line. Very often the bill would be so much higher, the phone company will not run them a line. And a lot of them are worth a lot of money tied up in land and equipment, often in the Millions of dollars. Money not available till they sell it.

It is those Americans, that people on this thread, who are demanding that those rural small money losing post offices be closed, only thinking of their pocketbook, without regard to how serious a consequence it would be on the people effected by those closures. They want to take away their only source of contact with the outside world. How selfish can you get?

Old 02-26-2017, 06:30 PM

Americans aren't demanding small USPS offices be closed. Traffic and demand are dictating those terms as USPS closes unprofitable offices. You have the right idea but you are blaming the wrong cause. It is the market that determines which offices are closed.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:48 AM

12,381 posts, read 8,134,444 times
The big argument, at least from a libertarian perspective is not the cost and having government workers go on strike which pushed the postal reorganization and our present system with the Postmaster General no longer in the line of succession for the President. The big argument is should we be setting up in competition to FedEx and UPS? Those who decide to live away from major concentrations of people will just have to pay a lot more to Joe the local teamster if they want stuff delivered to them. Just one of the cost of rural living to take into account along with its benefits.

Last edited by toosie; 02-28-2017 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.