Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 01:28 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Getting rid of USPS just creates a FedEx/UPS duopoly. Having the USPS as a lower cost alternative helps keep the 'gruesome twosome' honest.

That sounds sensible to me, but as a U.K. citizen who has used the U.S.P.S. when in the States, but only rarely, I don't really have a dog in this hunt.
However, when needs were, I worked for a couple of years for Royal Mail, punching an eighteen-wheeler full of Mail around the country when the Mail trains were probably full.
There were always people in government trying to ingratiate themselves with the electorate by suggesting that Royal Mail should be closed or pared down, I didn't need to hear that when it was paying my mortgage, so in the interest of brotherly solidarity, I'm with the postal workers of the U.S. of A., keep the U.S.P.S open.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:42 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Just to acquaint everybody with reality, the USPS isn't going to get shut down any time soon, any year soon, and probably not any decade soon.

Something to think about: how many 1st class letters does UPS or FedEx handle? (None AFAIK.) The USPS will exist as long as we keep needing to send bits of paper via 1st class mail. Like checks.

Also, and this I suspect but cannot prove, or at least didn't Google it, but I'm pretty sure junk mail is USPS's biggest profit center, or at least a really big one. I bet if not for junk mail there would be no USPS.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I don't think so. The big argument, at least from a libertarian perspective is not the cost and having government workers go on strike which pushed the postal reorganization and our present system with the Postmaster General no longer in the line of succession for the President. The big argument is should we be setting up in competition to FedEx and UPS? Those who decide to live away from major concentrations of people will just have to pay a lot more to Joe the local teamster if they want stuff delivered to them. Just one of the cost of rural living to take into account along with its benefits.
There is no other source of package and mail delivery than the USPS in many rural areas. Repeat: There are no package and mail delivery source available other than the Post Office. There will always be a postal service, and if they provide one for the city dwellers, they are legally charged with doing the same for the rural areas.

Competition to FedEX and UPS has nothing to do with the post office. FedEx and UPS were set up in competition with the post office. FedEx and UPS were not set up for rural delivery in the more rural parts of the country.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:38 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There is no other source of package and mail delivery than the USPS in many rural areas. Repeat: There are no package and mail delivery source available other than the Post Office. There will always be a postal service, and if they provide one for the city dwellers, they are legally charged with doing the same for the rural areas.

Competition to FedEX and UPS has nothing to do with the post office. FedEx and UPS were set up in competition with the post office. FedEx and UPS were not set up for rural delivery in the more rural parts of the country.
And thus the libertarian argument that Joe isn't willing to do it because with the USPS there cutting the actual market price so that no one will pay him to just reach break even. So Joe the teamster does not hire out his truck for it. If no subsidized service did it for the public good then someone will do it for what it is actually worth. Because now there is money to be made when there is no money to be made with the government service cutting off the local businessman and his delivery service,.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
And thus the libertarian argument that Joe isn't willing to do it because with the USPS there cutting the actual market price so that no one will pay him to just reach break even. So Joe the teamster does not hire out his truck for it. If no subsidized service did it for the public good then someone will do it for what it is actually worth. Because now there is money to be made when there is no money to be made with the government service cutting off the local businessman and his delivery service,.
You are not getting Oldtrader. Rural service is NOT profitable. Nobody will do it if USPS won't do it. His alternatives are USPS service or NO service, not USPS or FedEx/UPS.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You are not getting Oldtrader. Rural service is NOT profitable. Nobody will do it if USPS won't do it. His alternatives are USPS service or NO service, not USPS or FedEx/UPS.
I do get it. It is the same argument of American workers are too expensive so we have illegal aliens pick strawberries at a lower price. The USPS worker in this case is the illegal alien and if he was not there someone would deliver stuff, it will just cost people who want to live away from population centers even more to get stuff. Some will move to cities, others will bear the cost to keep their rural lifestyle.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:15 PM

45,366 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
I do get it. It is the same argument of American workers are too expensive so we have illegal aliens pick strawberries at a lower price. The USPS worker in this case is the illegal alien and if he was not there someone would deliver stuff, it will just cost people who want to live away from population centers even more to get stuff. Some will move to cities, others will bear the cost to keep their rural lifestyle.

You realize that less than 2% of illegals are involved in agriculture, right?

The attitude you're evidencing is exactly the reason why there's such a divide in the US. An almost conscious unwillingness to see an issue through any lens but your own.

This discussion is about the Post Office but any other business is the same in rural areas. A grocery closes down and no one else moves in. The gas station closes and it sits empty. So no, "someone else" won't provide the service. Is your "move to the city" operative in those cases?

I had to send something a couple years ago and the person requesting the delivery, it went to a 3rd party, specified FedEx. The problem was that FedEx didn't deliver there, nor did UPS. But the USPS did.

The Post Office is also Constitutionally mandated.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Rural lifestyle is not much of a choice for many. Farms are in rural areas. People work at farms. Lots of people live in recreational areas which are sparsely populated other than itinerants. They have to have postage and shipping. FedEx isn't going to deliver 1st class letters there.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This discussion is about the Post Office but any other business is the same in rural areas. A grocery closes down and no one else moves in. The gas station closes and it sits empty. So no, "someone else" won't provide the service. Is your "move to the city" operative in those
I totally get that. Stores closing is happening even in suburban areas. It can only be worse in rural areas. I see lots of "FOR LEASE" storefronts that used to be active businesses, here in the big bad city.

If USPS quits doing rural nobody will pick up the slack. Rurals would probably have to get in-town postal boxes and arrange to have the mail shipped to them weekly. But who would carry the shipping? Dunno. Maybe the postal box rental stores would start weekly deliveries.

The more I think about it the more useless this topic seems. I think I already posted earlier: "Won't happen." At least not any time soon.

Why all the animosity towards USPS anyway? What gives?

Old 02-27-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You realize that less than 2% of illegals are involved in agriculture, right?

The attitude you're evidencing is exactly the reason why there's such a divide in the US. An almost conscious unwillingness to see an issue through any lens but your own.

This discussion is about the Post Office but any other business is the same in rural areas. A grocery closes down and no one else moves in. The gas station closes and it sits empty. So no, "someone else" won't provide the service. Is your "move to the city" operative in those cases?

I had to send something a couple years ago and the person requesting the delivery, it went to a 3rd party, specified FedEx. The problem was that FedEx didn't deliver there, nor did UPS. But the USPS did.

The Post Office is also Constitutionally mandated.
If nobody wants to move there at the prices that they are able to charge the mega question becomes why are we forcing everyone else to subsidize the lifestyles of those few selfish people? They can either go without and live like the mountain men who first moved there and accepted the isolation or move to where people and services are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates