Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 07:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's because our prisons aren't aimed at rehabilitation. Norway's prisons, which almost seem like cushy summer camps, have very little recidivism, and there's no life sentence. Compared to the Norwegians, we're doing it wrong. Really, really wrong.
Germany, too, has a prison system that tries to elevate and respect inmates rather than tearing them down to the most humiliated core of their being.

Works better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 09:12 PM

9,411 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Bring back the noose. That will cut drug costs.

OR, instead of some fancy cocktail that half the time doesn't work, just OD them on their favorite drug.

Easy button.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:50 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Well, there is a very basic reason almost all death-row inmates fight the
ultimate-punishment, to the VERY end.

The reason, well, it is human-nature to want to live, to want to survive, to keep going.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:50 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,226 times
A lot of inmates on death row in Arkansas and the Governor is moving forward with executions.

One got executed a couple nights ago.

Lawyers for the condemned are filing appeals after appeals.
If life in prison was worse, why would the inmates be fighting the death penalty?

Yes, the topic of this thread is about life in prison being worse.

Evidently not in Arkansas !

Old 04-24-2017, 09:29 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,765,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Lawyers for the condemned are filing appeals after appeals.
If life in prison was worse, why would the inmates be fighting the death penalty?

Yes, the topic of this thread is about life in prison being worse.

Evidently not in Arkansas !
It's called hope. First they hope the appeal to get off death row is successful, then they hope they will get out of prison somehow. Everyone has it, even in the worst situations. Prisoners in Nazi death camps all had hope they would somehow get out of it. And some did.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:59 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,203 times
I believe in capital punishment; however, my mind could be changed if these same criminals were sent to a prison that made life totally miserable until they died naturally.

One exampe would be a rock island where they are made to break rocks for 8 hours a day. No TV, no exercise yard, no library; just a life of total misery. They would be fed and offered medical coverage for accidents and if they are diagnosed with a terminal illness, than yea, let them have some drugs to cut down on the suffering until the finally die.

But that will never happen since the people who tend to be against capital punishment are the same ones who want those criminals to have TVs, exercise yards, libraries, conjugal visits, etc.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:38 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,062,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
In following a few major cases, especially the Boston Marathon bombing and the SC Church shooting, I noticed that both of the attorneys representing the perpetrators were trying to spare their client the death penalty.

WHY would one presume automatically that being executed by lethal injection is a harsher punishment than life in prison with no possibility of parole?

I certainly would rather have a needle stuck in my arm and fall asleep painlessly 5 min later, than wake up every single day for the next 50 years, staring at 4 concrete walls in an 8 by 10 cell.

I just can't seem to grasp why so many prosecutors, and defense attorneys alike, seem to think the DP is worse than life without parole.

Am I missing something?
Aaron Fernandez would prove your point. The former N/E.Patriots player.
He got life without parole and hung himself.
Thanks Aaron.

BTW, defense lawyers HAVE to try or they'd be disbarred.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:56 AM

120 posts, read 96,513 times
I have always thought life in prison without parole is worse then death pentaly the thought of being around other men in a cell 24/7 for 50 years or 60 years.

I'd rather choose to die,aaron hernandez proved that aswell...

Old 05-02-2017, 08:25 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,226 times
Very easy to proclaim what our decision would be when we are not really facing the two prospects.

Many young people proclaim.........." I would not want to continue living if I lost my eyesight/lost my legs/ was confined to wheelchair."

Yet, after a terrible accident or war it actually happens and their will to live and accept is very strong.

Yup, talk is cheap when it all is hypothetical.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:22 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,607 times
I can easily see how life in prison would be considered a lot worse than the death penalty. Based on what I know of many prisons, they're a hell on earth - and outside the U.S. they're even worse in many cases.

Note I'm not counting those "country club" prisons where people go when they have a lot of money and/or influence, like the one Martha Stewart went to years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates