Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:05 PM

417 posts, read 345,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Shouldn't that family member be prosecuted for supplying the weapon to someone with a record? Shouldn't anyone be prosecuted for the same thing? Shouldn't a legal gun owner be prosecuted for allowing the gun to be stolen unless it was securely locked away and the theft was reported when it happened?

Just about every gun starts its life in the US as a legal weapon but far too many "cross the line" and fall into the wrong hands. Shouldn't those who facilitate this criminalization be prosecuted and punished severely if found guilty?

Yes, I agree with you. Yes the family members should be prosecuted. I believe it's a felony to supply a weapon to a felon?
The allowing the gun to be stolen is a tricky thing. I think if the theft isn't reported it's a huge issue and a lot of people don't for some idiotic reason report their guns when they are stolen, but the properly locked up thing I feel would be really difficult to prove. If a person conceals and carries in their truck and you have it under the seat, and someone breaks your window and steals the gun, should you be prosecuted because you were robbed from? I am curious not trying to be condescending.
I would like to see tougher sentences for felons in possession of a firearm. I just don't think more background checks and more regulations on gun owners will help. I think we need to put tougher sentences on people who break the law, and we need to put more money into mental health, and rehabilitation. I think these things may help some of the gun issues we have in our country, but I don't think outright banning them, or having ridiculous gun regulations will do any good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 10:07 PM

10,748 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
and you're going to have a REALLY bad day when you get caught in a crossfire at the grocery store because some coward that can;t fight, decided to settle a score with the person who took the last kumquat from the produce department!

Opps I forgot- all gun totin' CDers make the ultimate badazzes as they can single-handedly stop massacres just by using their badassery and their trusty Cletus & Bill Ray approved peashooters!!
Concealed carry is already mainstream in much of the country. Why don't you detail out for us just how often an innocent is harmed in a shootout between cowards and kumquats thives (or anyone else).

Old 01-10-2017, 11:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
Yes, I agree with you. Yes the family members should be prosecuted. I believe it's a felony to supply a weapon to a felon?
The allowing the gun to be stolen is a tricky thing. I think if the theft isn't reported it's a huge issue and a lot of people don't for some idiotic reason report their guns when they are stolen, but the properly locked up thing I feel would be really difficult to prove. If a person conceals and carries in their truck and you have it under the seat, and someone breaks your window and steals the gun, should you be prosecuted because you were robbed from? I am curious not trying to be condescending.
I would like to see tougher sentences for felons in possession of a firearm. I just don't think more background checks and more regulations on gun owners will help. I think we need to put tougher sentences on people who break the law, and we need to put more money into mental health, and rehabilitation. I think these things may help some of the gun issues we have in our country, but I don't think outright banning them, or having ridiculous gun regulations will do any good.
I certainly believe that "under the seat" is not a secure location to safeguard a firearm and if that gun is used in the commission of a crime the careless owner should be prosecuted. "Carry" means it is carried by the person who must accept the responsibility to safeguard it, not leave it in a parking lot to become part of a criminal arsenal.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:49 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
You may not realize it, but you certainly have a victim mentality.
And you have a problem understanding what victim mentality really means.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:17 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Related to the topic:

A guy was fired last year from his company in MS for having an unloaded gun in the car (by the way, I don't endorse keeping a gun unsecured in a car due to the theft risk, apparently it was a friends weapon that he was going to do some work on). The circumstances were really humiliating - not only was he fired but HR overreacted by having an emergency meeting with all the employees and declared him dangerous and forbidden to enter the facility.

The guy sued for wrongful discharge - something that almost never works at an "at-will" state unless it's related to racial discrimination. It finally went to the state supreme court - VICTORY! Per law, firearms are allowed in vehicles per state law. In essence, the company that fired him broke the law by not allowing him to legally possess a firearm, as the law allows, in a public place (parking lot). The company will be liable for damages, and I hope he punishes them for all he can get.

Supreme Court issues decision in Lowndes firearm case - The Dispatch

Old 01-11-2017, 07:20 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
So all I get is "ask somebody else"???
No

What you got was the correct answer to your "question":

The insurance companies often require a "no guns" policy in the workplace.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:18 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I would claim that any work place would be more relaxed and would induce a more cooperative atmosphere if companies provided an open bar and recliner and couches. Most don't. It would be silly to ask why. Maybe a liberal would.
Sorry but that doesn't embody "Mayberry in Spirit" you have in your whearabouts and I am originally from the south. Everyone knows Andy only allowed Barney to carry ONE bullet in his pocket and it was widely known that Andy didn't pack unless he was planning on going to get someone who'd broken out of jail and even then sometimes not .
He knew the art of de-escalation without an open bar and the couches were for Otis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I remember bringing in my 20 gauge shotgun
To school for show and tell when I was 12

Not a big deal

In rural Maine.

You grow up hunting and that means respecting
And how to handle a rifle or shotgun

our reference to guns is hunting not
Shooting someone

You go the the populated towns and cities
With more liberals and it's a whole different world

Just because they don't like guns means
They want to take the right of me owning a gun away from me
I am a liberal and used a .30-06 to take down my first deer at age 6 Thanksgiving day 1968 ,with help from dad so what is your point ? That Liberals cannot use a weapon ?
This was in rural Texas . I now live in a giant city and I am just not afraid and do not own a gun .
No I do not like guns whatsoever, but conservatives need to get OVER the fact that no one is trying to take your precious weapons and yes according to current law the fla shooter was considered legal to carry and boy did he . Terrible tragedy.

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 01-11-2017 at 09:43 AM..

Old 01-11-2017, 10:21 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Mexico has strict gun control laws. Theoretically cartels should only have rocks and sticks.
Mexico struggles with lots of things, gun control is just one. A more balanced comparison would be a fully developed country such as the UK, Germany etc...

Old 01-11-2017, 10:35 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Mexico struggles with lots of things, gun control is just one. A more balanced comparison would be a fully developed country such as the UK, Germany etc...
Or maybe that would not be a more balanced comparison.

Americans kill each other by all means with the same abandon as Mexicans, whereas the German homicide rate by all means is much lower than that of Americans.

So the presence or absence of guns is not the difference--the desire to kill is the difference, and in that Americans are more like Mexicans than like Germans.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:52 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Or maybe that would not be a more balanced comparison.

Americans kill each other by all means with the same abandon as Mexicans, whereas the German homicide rate by all means is much lower than that of Americans.

So the presence or absence of guns is not the difference--the desire to kill is the difference, and in that Americans are more like Mexicans than like Germans.
Rubbish. Complete and utter rubbish.

You make just made an unsubstantiated and extraordinary claim and then went on to draw a conclusion with evidence at all.

Frankly your argument is bizarre, you are suggesting that Germans are less/more homicidal than Americans or mexicans. Did you even think it through, or did you just start typing ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates