Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:38 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times

Advertisements

How could the Cold War have ended better than it did? We managed it well, with only two major conflicts and both were contained. Just 20 years after South Vietnam fell the USSR fell as well. If we had defeated the North Vietnamese, how much earlier would the end have come? 1987 maybe?

I can't see how things could have turned out better than they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 01:14 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default To stand by Churchill, you'd have to be very fast indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359
I think you should be honest with the people here. Your criticism of FDR is a result of your background and a belief that he could have done than he did for the Jews of Europe. That is debatable. However, I have seen how this belief renders you unable to discuss his presidency rationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

I concede that is a good part of my reason but I am a fully rational person. His willful negligence on the Western European Jews was of a piece with his favoring non-Western cultures such as India, the Muslim land and the Russians. He hardly stood by Churchill. He undermined the British hold on India despite the fact that many Indians were fighting for the Nazis.

FDR by himself is a massive topic. I think he would have done more for the Jewish & other refugees trying to flee the Nazis - but the US in 1930CE was a very different place than it is now. Think where we would be in STEM alone if we had thrown open the doors for all displaced peoples from Europe who wished to leave - Who knows, we might be on the moon, in NEO, have built the Skyhook, & gone on to colonize or @ least industrialize the solar system.

Churchill was a very slippery person - FDR practically had to nail him in place in order to get Churchill to honor the agreements he & the British gov. had made during the course of WWII - read

Commander in chief : FDR's battle with Churchill, 1943 / Nigel Hamilton, c2016, Houghton Miflin Harcourt, 940.532 HAMI.

Summary

• "Nigel Hamilton's Mantle of Command drew on years of archival research and interviews to portray FDR in a tight close up, as he determined Allied strategy in the crucial initial phases of World War II. Commander in Chief reveals the astonishing sequel--suppressed by Winston Churchill in his memoirs--of Roosevelt's battles with Churchill to maintain that strategy. Roosevelt knew that the Allies should take Sicily but avoid a wider battle in southern Europe, building experience but saving strength to invade France in early 1944. Churchill seemed to agree at Casablanca--only to undermine his own generals and the Allied command, testing Roosevelt's patience to the limit. Churchill was afraid of the invasion planned for Normandy, and pushed instead for disastrous fighting in Italy, thereby almost losing the war for the Allies. In a dramatic showdown, FDR finally set the ultimate course for victory by making the ultimate threat. Commander in Chief shows FDR in top form at a crucial time in the modern history of the West."-- Publisher description.
Length
  • xv, 464 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : index
FDR died in harness - as did many managers during WWII. Churchill survived the war, & wrote his memoirs to"bury his mistakes", as he said. & he did. Plus he was a journalist by training, he wrote well, he spoke well, & somehow (in his voluminous & nearly never-ending writing & orating, @ least) he was always right, far-seeing, noble, generous, loved his mom & never kicked his dog. & besides, Churchill had a lot of time on his hands, having finally blown up all his bridges, whether on them or before them. A brilliant book.

We're lucky to be here. If it had been up to Churchill, the Allies would still be horsing away @ conquering the Mediterranean, ensuring that UK had a secure line of comms to India. As if that were the point of it all.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:52 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,529,660 times
The people who claim we needed to "do something" about communism give communism far too much credit. You would think they think it's a long-term sustainable and stable economic/political system - after all, why would they think we needed to "fight" or "contain" it? If it was such an inferior system - and I agree it is - then the West needed to do absolutely nothing to bring about its demise, because such an inferior, unsustainable and unstable system was bound to collapse on its own weight, without the West so much as lifting a finger. Fortunately, by now we have all but gotten the collapse of communism, sans a few leftover holdouts. Unfortunately, in the meantime the US and elsewhere expended a lot of lives, wasted a lot of money and created a lot of havoc trying to bring about the demise of a system that was bound to self-destruct anyway. What a shame.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:34 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And that is the immoral aspect of your position. We have no right to "control" most of the world. Anymore than we would want to be controlled.

You believe in imperialism. And imperialism doesn't work for very long. That's been proved over and over again.

Shame. Shame. Shame.
Quote:
It doesn't matter. You do not have the right to own other people, any more than they have any right to own you. And that's what imperialism is.
Does it make a difference if the people are under Western control or the rapacious control of warlords, now with civilian Western titles? I think the latter is worse. Ask anyone in Aleppo, Syria. Or Mosul. Or Harare, Zimbabwe.

I guess it assuages your conscience if warlords are taking money you, through tax dollars, send to the U.N. to ease misery for weapons and Swiss bank accounts.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359
I think you should be honest with the people here. Your criticism of FDR is a result of your background and a belief that he could have done than he did for the Jews of Europe. That is debatable. However, I have seen how this belief renders you unable to discuss his presidency rationally.

FDR by himself is a massive topic. I think he would have done more for the Jewish & other refugees trying to flee the Nazis - but the US in 1930CE was a very different place than it is now. Think where we would be in STEM alone if we had thrown open the doors for all displaced peoples from Europe who wished to leave - Who knows, we might be on the moon, in NEO, have built the Skyhook, & gone on to colonize or @ least industrialize the solar system.

Churchill was a very slippery person - FDR practically had to nail him in place in order to get Churchill to honor the agreements he & the British gov. had made during the course of WWII - read

Commander in chief : FDR's battle with Churchill, 1943 / Nigel Hamilton, c2016, Houghton Miflin Harcourt, 940.532 HAMI.

Summary

• "Nigel Hamilton's Mantle of Command drew on years of archival research and interviews to portray FDR in a tight close up, as he determined Allied strategy in the crucial initial phases of World War II. Commander in Chief reveals the astonishing sequel--suppressed by Winston Churchill in his memoirs--of Roosevelt's battles with Churchill to maintain that strategy. Roosevelt knew that the Allies should take Sicily but avoid a wider battle in southern Europe, building experience but saving strength to invade France in early 1944. Churchill seemed to agree at Casablanca--only to undermine his own generals and the Allied command, testing Roosevelt's patience to the limit. Churchill was afraid of the invasion planned for Normandy, and pushed instead for disastrous fighting in Italy, thereby almost losing the war for the Allies. In a dramatic showdown, FDR finally set the ultimate course for victory by making the ultimate threat. Commander in Chief shows FDR in top form at a crucial time in the modern history of the West."-- Publisher description.
Length
  • xv, 464 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : index
FDR died in harness - as did many managers during WWII. Churchill survived the war, & wrote his memoirs to"bury his mistakes", as he said. & he did. Plus he was a journalist by training, he wrote well, he spoke well, & somehow (in his voluminous & nearly never-ending writing & orating, @ least) he was always right, far-seeing, noble, generous, loved his mom & never kicked his dog. & besides, Churchill had a lot of time on his hands, having finally blown up all his bridges, whether on them or before them. A brilliant book.

We're lucky to be here. If it had been up to Churchill, the Allies would still be horsing away @ conquering the Mediterranean, ensuring that UK had a secure line of comms to India. As if that were the point of it all.
Great and informative post even if we disagree. I repped the post even though I think that FDR was the ultimate scoundrel.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The people who claim we needed to "do something" about communism give communism far too much credit. You would think they think it's a long-term sustainable and stable economic/political system - after all, why would they think we needed to "fight" or "contain" it? If it was such an inferior system - and I agree it is - then the West needed to do absolutely nothing to bring about its demise, because such an inferior, unsustainable and unstable system was bound to collapse on its own weight, without the West so much as lifting a finger. Fortunately, by now we have all but gotten the collapse of communism, sans a few leftover holdouts. Unfortunately, in the meantime the US and elsewhere expended a lot of lives, wasted a lot of money and created a lot of havoc trying to bring about the demise of a system that was bound to self-destruct anyway. What a shame.
You are right about Communism's likelihood to fail. The problem with your analysis is that Stalin et. al. would agree with it. Thus the need to conquer territories and generally stir the pot, to make other areas open to domination.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:02 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
How could the Cold War have ended better than it did? We managed it well, with only two major conflicts and both were contained. Just 20 years after South Vietnam fell the USSR fell as well. If we had defeated the North Vietnamese, how much earlier would the end have come? 1987 maybe?

I can't see how things could have turned out better than they did.
I'm not sure our dead from Korea (33,652) and Vietnam (58,315) would quite agree.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Does it make a difference if the people are under Western control or the rapacious control of warlords, now with civilian Western titles? I think the latter is worse. Ask anyone in Aleppo, Syria. Or Mosul. Or Harare, Zimbabwe.

I guess it assuages your conscience if warlords are taking money you, through tax dollars, send to the U.N. to ease misery for weapons and Swiss bank accounts.
You know something...it doesn't make a difference morally.

According to you, if the Russians or Chinese think their system is better than ours, then they have the right to control us. That's the philosophy that you have stated.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:54 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times
Quote:
I'm not sure our dead from Korea (33,652) and Vietnam (58,315) would quite agree.
They were limited wars by recent and not so recent standards. Those soldiers paid the price for our freedom and we are grateful to them. Their sacrifice was not in vain. Fighting the Cold War a way other than we did could have resulted in many more soldiers being sacrificed than were.

Perfection can't be the standard. We all great quarterbacks on Monday morning. People are fallible and so are leaders. All in all, they leaders we had fought the Cold War pretty well.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
They were limited wars by recent and not so recent standards. Those soldiers paid the price for our freedom and we are grateful to them. Their sacrifice was not in vain. Fighting the Cold War a way other than we did could have resulted in many more soldiers being sacrificed than were.

Perfection can't be the standard. We all great quarterbacks on Monday morning. People are fallible and so are leaders. All in all, they leaders we had fought the Cold War pretty well.
"I can't see how things could have turned out better than they did." Who said that? You did.

Things could have turned out much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates