Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 08:50 AM

684 posts, read 868,674 times

Advertisements

"In the months prior to the election, "safe spaces" had been one of the most widely discussed terms at Oberlin. The concept has its roots in feminism and describes a physically and intellectually sheltered space that protects one from potentially insulting, injurious or traumatizing ideas or comments -- a place, in short, that protects one from the world. When conservative philosopher and feminism critic Christina Hoff Sommers was scheduled to give a speech at Oberlin last year, some students did not approve and claimed that Sommer's views on feminism represented "microaggressions."

When Sommers appeared anyway, leading some Oberlin students to create a "safe space" during the speech where, as one professor reported, "New Age music" was played to calm their nerves and ease their trauma. They could also "get massages and console themselves with stuffed animals."

Overwrought Political Correctness Helped Trump Win - SPIEGEL ONLINE

For me, reading that clarifies Obama's foreign policy; i.e. speak softly and carry a big Teddy Bear.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:22 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,784 times
We all know what happened. What is your debate suppose to be exactly?

Old 01-15-2017, 08:45 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
When a group of coddled, spoiled overgrown children attempt to overrule simple empirical reason by legislating their pipe dreams -- the Big Policeman (a/k/a "reality") takes over; it really is that simple.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:47 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,975 times
This is PoC crap. You're not ready for Great Debates.

What exactly is the debate? Is it about safe spaces? Or Obama's foreign policy, which is the only subject you took a position on. To address that, I don't understand the comparison. Rather than guess where you're going, I'll ask for an explanation.

As for safe spaces, they don't need to exist. University should be about ideas and debating them, not hiding ones we don't like. But, so long as college is nothing but a jobs training program, I'm not sure such an argument will gain much traction.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:37 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
"In the months prior to the election, "safe spaces" had been one of the most widely discussed terms at Oberlin. The concept has its roots in feminism and describes a physically and intellectually sheltered space that protects one from potentially insulting, injurious or traumatizing ideas or comments -- a place, in short, that protects one from the world. When conservative philosopher and feminism critic Christina Hoff Sommers was scheduled to give a speech at Oberlin last year, some students did not approve and claimed that Sommer's views on feminism represented "microaggressions."

When Sommers appeared anyway, leading some Oberlin students to create a "safe space" during the speech where, as one professor reported, "New Age music" was played to calm their nerves and ease their trauma. They could also "get massages and console themselves with stuffed animals."

Overwrought Political Correctness Helped Trump Win - SPIEGEL ONLINE

For me, reading that clarifies Obama's foreign policy; i.e. speak softly and carry a big Teddy Bear.
Right, because bombing the hell out of everyone works so much better....

Not that that has anything to do with 90% of your post.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:46 AM

61,681 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Not a Great Debate material.
Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates