Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2017, 08:13 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

Not understanding you're quoting my post since your comments reference my post in no way I can understand.

I'm simply saying there is no good way to control population growth except by limiting immigration.

We can't just kill the overpopulation.

For the record, I favor both birth control and abortion. The latter because I cannot understand the idea of forcing people to raise children the didn't want. What the hell kind of environment is that to raise a child in.

Yeah, adopt them out. Easier than said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 08:35 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The maximum sustainable population for the whole world, would be about 10% of the current level. Modern humans are too destructive to the environment and too consumptive of resources, for any more to exist on a long-term basis. Our days are limited here and when civilization collapses, the untended and exploding nuclear power plants will destroy all life on the planet. But other than that, I hope everyone has a nice day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Do you have evidence?
When the evidence arrives, it will be too late to take action.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:05 AM

729 posts, read 429,189 times
Yeah, we are becoming overpopulated. Thing is, there is a certain point when there are too many. Why would China implement a one-child policy? Redistribution of wealth (taking from those who work and earn and giving to others) isn't fair, but also it could only do so much even if it were forced. Take a billionaire's wealth, spread it around, and WOW, everyone has enough money for a happy meal!

Another example, It's bad enough to have a hundred people competing for a single job. What if it were a hundred thousand competing for that same job...? And by law of supply and demand, the would be employer could offer a very low wage and still have people fighting for it.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:57 AM

China changed their one child policy effective Jan. 1, 2016. The new limit is 2 children. If I understand the issue correctly, Chinese parents became prone to infanticide when the child was female, resulting is the gender ratio way over to more male and fewer females, which in turn left many males with no choice except to go homosexual or do without.

Read this article for more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy

Actually I see no solution for America since nobody is going to go for a maximum children limitation law. That would violate our Constitution.

All I can say is that nature has a way of solving mankind's problems when mankind won't solve them themselves.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:48 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I also think that the USA is over crowded. Our wildlife is terribly depleted as is our fish supplies. People are jabbed into cities with less and less space. Not good for people's mental health, which leads to more crime and emotional problems.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:03 PM

Most recreational fishing (inland) is stocked by US FWS, government support for tourism.

People live in cities because they want big city benefits. There is plenty of cheap land for those who wish to live in low population density areas. Golden Valley near Kingman AZ is one of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Valley,_Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillow
The median home value in Golden Valley is $113,800. Golden Valley home values have gone up 5.7% over the past year and Zillow predicts they will rise 3.3% within the next year. The median list price per square foot in Golden Valley is $88, which is lower than the Lake Havasu City Metro average of $124. The median price of homes currently listed in Golden Valley is $115,000.
We're talking like 1+ acre properties.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:17 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I also think that the USA is over crowded. Our wildlife is terribly depleted as is our fish supplies. People are jabbed into cities with less and less space. Not good for people's mental health, which leads to more crime and emotional problems.
People are jabbed into those cities because that is where the bulk of the infrastructure is. We have room to expand our infrastructure where we can spread out the population more. And we can do it and still have enough land for wildlife and farming.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:26 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
The world is overpopulated. We wouldn't be talking about global warming and pollution 50+ years ago when the population was many millions less. We wouldn't have to "go green" and look for alternative renewable energy. Less people, less pollution, less usage of everything.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:31 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
The answer to the question is:

No.

As long as you have states like Wyoming in the United States, in which their "cities" do not have a long-term growth plan, I'd say we're not. There is plenty of room in parts of the country where there is not a lot of population. Nevada has room. Arizona has room. So do North Dakota and South Dakota. So does West Texas. So does Utah. The opportunities for economic and lifestyle growth are out there, if only people would just open their eyes a bit.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:44 PM

Having vacant land is not the sole requirement for where to put a city.

In theory you could put a city any place that has buildable land. In practice infrastructure costs prohibit building in most places, which is why we have open land.

People want to live in cities. They like to congregate together, not spread out. The fact that most people live in big cities supports my statement.

Too bad we don't have teleportation. I'd rent a garage in Los Angeles and have my house in a place where you can't see any signs of humanity using binoculars from the roof!

Alas, you cannot have your cake and eat it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates