Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 08:01 AM

1,640 posts, read 794,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
How about instead of prescribing a drug or sending them to the hospital, they send them to a nutrition and exercise camp for a month? Oh ... right ... insurance won't pay for that, so doctors won't prescribe it. See how that works?

Please show me posts where you have suggested alternative methods of treatment and criticized big pharma in any way. Because I have not seen ONE critical post re big pharma. Your posts all come across as though you are a big pharma lawyer, defending your client that can do no wrong. And those poor doctors, gee, what can they do? They are just helpless unable to treat their fat patients: Here's a question: How do doctors get patients to take all their pills, but somehow can't get them to put down the chips? Do they go to patients houses and force them to swallow the pills? Or do they use their influence as doctors to make patients take their pills?
Taking a pill for a temporary quick fix is not in the same universe as a lifestyle change. The onus isn't upon the doctor to incorporate lifestyle changes, but the patient. With that said it's standard for any primary care physician to recommend dietary and lifestyle changes.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:22 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
Patients can't win. Doctors can't diagnose a patient unless it is a glaring condition.

When a person is in the hospital they put their life in the hands of the doctors and doctors give them meds without the patient knowing the side effects. Writing a script and sending them out the door after they are hooked from being in the hospital. Having a patient sign a legal document in the operating room after they are prepped and full of drugs is horrific and illegal since the patient wasn't in control of all their faculties and under the influence.

You defending our system is sick and expresses how destroyed our system is. Doctors are driven by greed and the power over their patents. They are part of the fall of this country by turning our youth into addicts.
Poppycock. Are some conditions hard to diagnose? Sure. The most common ones are not.

Few patients are going to be in the hospital long enough to get "hooked", presuming you mean on pain meds. If you are being given pain meds in the hospital you either had surgery or were injured. I guess you think opioids are not indicated for post-op pain or fractures? Perhaps surgery should be performed with no anesthesia, since there are risks to it?

Doctors do not wait until after a patient is "prepped and full of drugs" to get consent for surgery. If the patient is too out of it to give consent, the next of kin will be asked to do it.

There is no excuse for not knowing about the meds you are offered. Ask about side effects if you do not already know them, for goodness' sake.

I still doubt there are many adults in the US who do not know that pain meds are potentially addictive. If someone is that ignorant the information sheet given out when the medication is dispensed by the pharmacy will tell all about it. Read it, or if you cannot read have someone read it to you. Talk to the pharmacist.

Patients have to take some responsibility here.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:39 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I would THINK a team of MD's would be able to diagnose WHY a knee is so hot and swollen and blood work done and xrays done up the gazoo and it took them 2.5 months to call for an MRI to find the staph infection.

During those 2.5 months a CNA who attended me would say to me when I showed her the knee "it's an infection". She had no clout to go to the doctor who came to the rehab to oversee her hospital patients....and I had no clue as I left it all the team of doctors hands.

What a waste of months and money and know living with a kinda deformed knee from being pushed and pushed with PT with the raging infection going on. But it's not enough of a case to go after the doctors.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
How about instead of prescribing a drug or sending them to the hospital, they send them to a nutrition and exercise camp for a month? Oh ... right ... insurance won't pay for that, so doctors won't prescribe it. See how that works?

Please show me posts where you have suggested alternative methods of treatment and criticized big pharma in any way. Because I have not seen ONE critical post re big pharma. Your posts all come across as though you are a big pharma lawyer, defending your client that can do no wrong. And those poor doctors, gee, what can they do? They are just helpless unable to treat their fat patients: Here's a question: How do doctors get patients to take all their pills, but somehow can't get them to put down the chips? Do they go to patients houses and force them to swallow the pills? Or do they use their influence as doctors to make patients take their pills?
Why should it be necessary to send an adult to camp? What will he do when he comes home? You continue to deny that doctors prescribe diet and exercise. They do. Insurance will pay for a consult with a nutritionist. Some plans will even pay or partially pay for a gym membership.

I notice that you were unable to find a single post where I said "drugs are the only way". I repeatedly have said that lifestyle changes are the foundation for treating many diseases. Patients have to do it, though. Doctors cannot make them.

Doctors cannot force patients to take medications, either. Where did you get the idea that they can? Patients refuse meds all the time, statins being a good example.

Using the pharma shill gambit is a last gasp effort when you realize you are losing the debate. It just confirms that you are losing the debate. Best to give it up.

Yes, I have a poor opinion of alternative medicine in general. There is pretty much no evidence that any of it works beyond placebo effect and it takes advantage of gullible people. Proper diet and exercise are not "alternative" medicine. They are part of mainstream medicine, despite all your denials that they are.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I would THINK a team of MD's would be able to diagnose WHY a knee is so hot and swollen and blood work done and xrays done up the gazoo and it took them 2.5 months to call for an MRI to find the staph infection.

During those 2.5 months a CNA who attended me would say to me when I showed her the knee "it's an infection". She had no clout to go to the doctor who came to the rehab to oversee her hospital patients....and I had no clue as I left it all the team of doctors hands.

What a waste of months and money and know living with a kinda deformed knee from being pushed and pushed with PT with the raging infection going on. But it's not enough of a case to go after the doctors.
You have previously said a doctor put a needle in that knee while you were in the hospital. Did he find pus and staph? If not, the infection was not present at that time.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You have previously said a doctor put a needle in that knee while you were in the hospital. Did he find pus and staph? If not, the infection was not present at that time.
Oh come on, I've gotten these prolo injections for about the last 10 yrs, shoulder, back and knee and the one that I believe "did it" was the 5th in the knee. There was no puss no nothing,,,but whatever happened I ended up with the staph. He and I have talked on the phone since I'm home and he feels terrible but stuff happens be it conventional or alterantive work. I know this NOW more than ever. We sign releases with all invasive work including injections. I'm sure I probably signed a release with syn visc and eufflexa injections yrs ago by ortho MD and they did nothing and cost insurance/medicare a big bundle.

On the infection, no one knows FOR SURE how it got in my knee but I'm presuming. I also have gotten acupuncture for 20 some yrs and no issues. The acupuncture needs just goes a tad below the surface of the skin. No injection just a light jab.

Infections happen in so many cases and no FOR SURE answers on any of them.

Wonder how many infections come on with all the vaccines that are pushed on people?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh come on, I've gotten these prolo injections for about the last 10 yrs, shoulder, back and knee and the one that I believe "did it" was the 5th in the knee. There was no puss no nothing,,,but whatever happened I ended up with the staph. He and I have talked on the phone since I'm home and he feels terrible but stuff happens be it conventional or alterantive work. I know this NOW more than ever. We sign releases with all invasive work including injections. I'm sure I probably signed a release with syn visc and eufflexa injections yrs ago by ortho MD and they did nothing and cost insurance/medicare a big bundle.

On the infection, no one knows FOR SURE how it got in my knee but I'm presuming. I also have gotten acupuncture for 20 some yrs and no issues. The acupuncture needs just goes a tad below the surface of the skin. No injection just a light jab.

Infections happen in so many cases and no FOR SURE answers on any of them.

Wonder how many infections come on with all the vaccines that are pushed on people?
So, when the needle was put in the knee there was no sign of infection at that time. Got it.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Taking a pill for a temporary quick fix is not in the same universe as a lifestyle change. The onus isn't upon the doctor to incorporate lifestyle changes, but the patient. With that said it's standard for any primary care physician to recommend dietary and lifestyle changes.
It's also fairly standard for insurance to cover nutrition counseling and offer weight loss and smoking cessation classes, the latter often for free. (Agreeing with you)

Old 08-08-2017, 12:34 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You know, from the time I graduated from nursing school in the early 70s until about 10 years ago, doctors and nurses were accused of not treating pain aggressively enough. Those who expressed concerns about addiction were snickered at, and ridiculed. Now, all of a sudden we have this "opioid crisis".
I am personal friends with two nurses and they tell me how bad some of the doctors are but the nurses are bound by law.

Morphine causes headaches the nurse told me and is not what you should give someone with a headache which is what they gave my father.

One doctor told me the insurance company of a patient of his from Germany on vacation here did not question the bill in the slightest. A patient from out of state wouldn't be covered.

How this has gotten this far is atrocious!

Old 08-08-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
so, when the needle was put in the knee there was no sign of infection at that time. Got it.
no no no --- but there was a funny click that hurt and it was not like any injection I had before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates