Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 10:22 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times

Advertisements

We've all heard this before and seen it one social media sites, etc. So why can't we treat one another like humans instead of going by the color of one's skin? As a child growing up in places like Atlanta I saw many different races & never thought to myself about color just people. I still see us as humans not as race.

It wasn't until I got older & started watching the news & listening to the media talk about race wars or what this or that race did. Now all the time I'm hearing a BLACK man was killed by a white, Asian, etc.

IMO, I think the media should said something like " A human being was killing by someone today" and leave race out of it.

There is a guy at work whose black & is angry at ALL white people & truly believes that whites the devil.
I've heard this before from other's as well. It does seems that we're being separated by race, religion, etc.

Maybe I'm an idealist & believe in the impossible.

Will we ever get past seeing each other's color/religion, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 10:43 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,327 times
Where and how do we start? Love the idea, Reed.

Deine Zauber binden wieder
Was die Mode streng geteilt;
Alle Menschen werden Brüder
Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

(An old version of "I'd like to buy the world a Coke".)

We can only try to. If we succeed most of the time we be better off.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:30 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
We've all heard this before and seen it one social media sites, etc. So why can't we treat one another like humans instead of going by the color of one's skin? As a child growing up in places like Atlanta I saw many different races & never thought to myself about color just people. I still see us as humans not as race.

It wasn't until I got older & started watching the news & listening to the media talk about race wars or what this or that race did. Now all the time I'm hearing a BLACK man was killed by a white, Asian, etc.

IMO, I think the media should said something like " A human being was killing by someone today" and leave race out of it.

There is a guy at work whose black & is angry at ALL white people & truly believes that whites the devil.
I've heard this before from other's as well. It does seems that we're being separated by race, religion, etc.

Maybe I'm an idealist & believe in the impossible.

Will we ever get past seeing each other's color/religion, etc.?
An associate of mine once said, "I don't see color." My response: "What are you? F------ blind?"

It isn't about not seeing color. Or religion. Or whatever. People are different. What's important is saying that everybody doesn't have to be like me; we're still okay and we have to look at each other as individuals.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:00 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
I blame two groups
US government, for constantly asking people for "their race"
And US news media, for constantly doing social and political analisys based on race

I'll give you an example
News media always talks about "The black community" .... wtf is that?
Is there a "white community"? a "country community"? a "native american community"?

Old 01-20-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
An associate of mine once said, "I don't see color." My response: "What are you? F------ blind?"

It isn't about not seeing color. Or religion. Or whatever. People are different. What's important is saying that everybody doesn't have to be like me; we're still okay and we have to look at each other as individuals.

Yes, people are different but not being able to see beyond the color of someone's skin & seeing them as human (to me) is part of the problem.

When I see a beautiful women walk by no matter the color I don't think to myself " wow she's beautiful for said color.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:18 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Race is a real thing in so far as it is a social construct. It has no meaning biologically, but lots of things don't and only have have a social or cultural meaning.

But the notion that people are or can be colorblind is just plan old not true or maybe more precisely not true for the vast majority of people. But so what? You cannot fix any problem until you acknowledge it, we were successful as a nation is combating overt racism, if we acknowledge the insidious institutional racism that still exists (though I suspect few of us will agree on what that means) we can root that out too.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:20 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yes, people are different but not being able to see beyond the color of someone's skin & seeing them as human (to me) is part of the problem.

When I see a beautiful women walk by no matter the color I don't think to myself " wow she's beautiful for said color.
But you also aren't looking beyond her physical attribute, her attractiveness in this case, to seeing what is making her human. You have just swapped on physical characteristic for another. Someone's beauty (or lack there of) isn't what makes them human. So what is the difference?

Old 01-20-2017, 12:29 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
But you also aren't looking beyond her physical attribute, her attractiveness in this case, to seeing what is making her human. You have just swapped on physical characteristic for another. Someone's beauty (or lack there of) isn't what makes them human. So what is the difference?
Exactly.

A very natural thing for humans to do -- and something humans have always done -- is classify...everything.

One day years ago I went to see the movie "How Stella Got Her Groove Back". The next day at work I mentioned what a good film it was. All I heard was, "But that's a Black movie." Well, yes, it had an all-Black cast that were put in a particular kind of social situation. But it was also a human movie.

The fact that it had an all-Black cast made it a different film than if it had had an all-White or mixed cast. The social situations and how the characters dealt with them were through the lens of Black culture. So what? In fact, maybe I learned something.

Different people are different. Different sub-cultures are different. It doesn't mean one is better or worse than another.

I lived in a very nice, but mostly Black neighborhood for a few years in a very nice relatively upscale apartment complex. Everyone was at least polite, if not friendly. But I never quite got used to the sitting on the stoop thing. Just made me uncomfortable. But, that's a different culture...and it was okay...it was just not my way.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:43 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Quote:
Race is a real thing in so far as it is a social construct. It has no meaning biologically, but lots of things don't and only have have a social or cultural meaning.
There is indeed a biological basis for race.

Former New York Times Science Editor: Race Is Real

CONCLUSION

White women have a wider pelvic inlet, wider outlet, and shallower anteroposterior outlet than African-American women. In addition, after vaginal delivery, white women demonstrate less pelvic floor mobility. These differences may contribute to observed racial differences in obstetric outcomes and to the development of pelvic floor disorders.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2593128/

Our primary finding in analyses of brain subregions was that when compared to Caucasians, African Americans exhibited larger left OFC volumes (F 1,68 = 7.50, p = 0.008).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2964318/

And so on. You can Google much much more. Heard that AA basketball players are so good at what they do as their hands anatomy allows better grasp of the ball.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:

So what do you say when you see a beautiful women/man? Or am I wrong for saying women?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates