Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 12:14 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
The plain facts are that your suppositions about US relative generosity in the world are not at all well founded. No one actually familiar with the situation would disagree with that.

Indeed, rather than the ODA target of 0.70% of Gross National Income that was met in 2014 by the likes of Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Luxembourg, and the UK, the ODA of the US reached a meager 0.19% of GNI. Ireland did twice that. As Google would confirm for you were you to actually go look for it.
I have no problem using google, in fact I needed it when I wanted to look up your misguided representation of donation based on GDP. Instead of you posting up your numbers so you could see the problem, you furthered your lazy responses by stating that the GDP of Luxembourg is equivalent to the GDP of the United States . For some reason you think there should be a flat rate and that 61 billion is the same thing as 18 TRILLION, (which is 295 times larger). For some reason that was too much for you.
I also stated earlier that there is a LOT MORE that the United States does to aid the rest of the world besides just donating money. Please tell me the last time the Luxembourg Army helped defend Korea, or had a hand in the middle east, how about the last time they stopped a Somali pirate, what about there contribution to stopping Ebola, how about the last country they helped after a tsunami. What was the last time Luxembourg built a school in some other country, and where was it? How many people did they send over to teach in those school(s)? When was the last time Luxembourg went and evaluated a countries position and built them a port so they could build AN economy? Open up your eyes a little, and be realistic about the overall picture, not some minimal detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 12:27 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I have no problem using google, in fact I needed it when I wanted to look up your misguided representation of donation based on GDP. Instead of you posting up your numbers so you could see the problem, you furthered your lazy responses by stating that the GDP of Luxembourg is equivalent to the GDP of the United States . For some reason you think there should be a flat rate and that 61 billion is the same thing as 18 TRILLION, (which is 295 times larger). For some reason that was too much for you.
I also stated earlier that there is a LOT MORE that the United States does to aid the rest of the world besides just donating money. Please tell me the last time the Luxembourg Army helped defend Korea, or had a hand in the middle east, how about the last time they stopped a Somali pirate, what about there contribution to stopping Ebola, how about the last country they helped after a tsunami. What was the last time Luxembourg built a school in some other country, and where was it? How many people did they send over to teach in those school(s)? When was the last time Luxembourg went and evaluated a countries position and built them a port so they could build AN economy? Open up your eyes a little, and be realistic about the overall picture, not some minimal detail.
I think you have a point, but on the other hand a number of the things we did to help other countries were in our own self-interest. So yes, let's be realistic.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:25 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,524,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
China is all over the world winning hearts and minds of local people , while Trump is standing on a hilltop shouting at and berating entire nations...
Yup. Two examples:

The Belt and Road initiative: China's Huge 'One Belt, One Road' Initiative Is Sweeping Central Asia

and

The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank based in China: Canada defies U.S. and joins China's new development bank

Old 02-07-2017, 04:34 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you have a point, but on the other hand a number of the things we did to help other countries were in our own self-interest. So yes, let's be realistic.
You mean like most everything that most everyone does??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_egoism

Not sure why you feel the need to point out how selfish it is of the United States to give away billions of dollars, or the many other things that we do for other countries.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:11 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
You mean like most everything that most everyone does??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_egoism

Not sure why you feel the need to point out how selfish it is of the United States to give away billions of dollars, or the many other things that we do for other countries.
Gee, this is so simple.

We have people on this thread who believe that all the things we do for other countries, all the money we provide to other countries is simply us being selfless, when in reality most of the time when we do things for and give money to other countries it's because it's really in our own self-interest.

We're like the guy who dislikes his boss and curses him out behind his back, but gives him a Christmas present each year.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:17 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,970,381 times
Pay down the national debt... see economics forum.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:35 PM

24,473 posts, read 17,211,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Say, theoretically, the U.S completely stopped giving foreign aide to anyone, regardless of who it was and regardless of the circumstances, no more foreign aide to Israel, to Europe, to any 2nd or 3rd world countries.

The Senate would be scrambling to find ways to spend the new windfall.

I think all foreign aide needs to be looked at to see where it is going, if it reaches the intended purpose and if it is not being abused.
I remember a few years back when it was announced that we were cutting funding by 1/3 to pakistan and that amounted to 800 million dollars! Why are we giving them anything?

Old 02-09-2017, 10:08 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times
Quote:
I have no problem using google...
If that were true, you might have saved yourself a lot of time and trouble in creating posts that illustrate only the inadequacy of your Google-time. The US has a long history of failing -- often by a wide margin -- to meet the agreed-upon ODA target of 70% of GNI. Those are the simple facts.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Pay down the national debt... see economics forum.
See the Economics forum. Neither the US nor any other major economy carrying debt (which is all of them) will ever pay off their national debt. So much as paying part of it down -- as Clinton did in FY 1998 through FY 2001 -- is presently out of reach in the United States.

Foreign aid meanwhile remains for well-to-do countries an obligation of global citizenship.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I remember a few years back when it was announced that we were cutting funding by 1/3 to pakistan and that amounted to 800 million dollars! Why are we giving them anything?
Originally, because they allowed us to build and use mountain bases in the north from which to spy on the USSR in place of similar outposts in northern Iran that had been lost to us in the Islamic Revolution.

As both Pakistan and India have nuclear weapons, it is also wise for the US to curry some sorts of input and calming influences in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates