Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 01:24 PM

18,527 posts, read 7,284,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Talking on the phone, hands free or not, is a different kind of distraction than looking at a billboard. When talking to someone who is not in the car you tend to visualize the person as if you are having a face-to-face conversation. It is that visualization that is dangerous to driving.
Maybe for you. I certainly don't visualize anything or anybody. However, it is still a distraction. More than once I've been on the phone with a client on the way to the courthouse, and I realize I've driven right past my exit.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:15 PM

77,859 posts, read 60,016,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Maybe for you. I certainly don't visualize anything or anybody. However, it is still a distraction. More than once I've been on the phone with a client on the way to the courthouse, and I realize I've driven right past my exit.
Some people have the training, youth or mental agility to multi-task better than others, I have a friend that used to be a fighter pilot that can obviously talk on a cell phone and drive with little or no impairment while I have another friend that would be lucky to make it 5 miles without crashing while doing the same.

That being said, I have to wonder about the people that text\talk and drive a lot. They're eventually going to be dropped by their insurance carrier and possibly lose their license if ticketed enough. That's a really expensive lesson to learn and that doesn't include paying deductibles and then of course if you hurt someone you could face even more legal issues.

In the last 12 months I personally know 3 people that have been hit by texting drivers. A neighbor, a friend and a co-worker.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:06 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,737,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
Is this supported by evidence or just your opinion?
The visualization interpretation is not my opinion - I read a study on it years ago. Don't have a link for it but will look.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:56 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,433,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It would appear, to me, that lobbying money may possibly be the root of it!

In the early days of cell phones, they were usually mentioned in the news if they were a factor in a fatal accident. Nowadays, I hardly ever hear the news talk about cell phones being a the cause of an accident.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:12 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,018,059 times
Maybe if people used advanced technology better occasional use of texting while driving would not be the great danger it is.

Hell, I can barely send text messages sitting on my couch! I'm a "hands free required" state, and have an iPhone + voice control speakerphone (on visor).

Yet in my car I can speak the phrase that gets my speakerphone, then tell my speakerphone "phone commands," Siri beeps, and then I can send a text by saying, "Tell Pam I'll be at your house in 5 minutes" and Siri sends my text message. By similar voice commands I can get Siri to read incoming texts.

However, tinkering with anything takes your attention away from driving and increases your chance of having an accident. Even using your cellphone with a hands free device takes away concentration. Fiddling with a CD takes away from your concentration.

I've even wondered sometimes if using GPS navigation takes away attention.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:08 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,003,071 times
I agree. I would never get on the road after drinking nowadays, but in my young and very stupid days (no lectures required...I know better and wouldn't do it again...I actually won't drive after ONE beer/drink anymore unless it has been HOURS), I paid VERY close attention to the road when I was driving after having a few drinks. I'm not denying that my reaction times would have been longer and stuff like that, but I was very concentrated on looking at the road and driving as well as possible.

Although that is extremely dangerous, I swear I was probably a better driver with two too many drinks than someone who is literally not looking at the road at all, who is texting away, posting on Facebook, taking selfies (one "mommy blogger" came under fire once for taking and posting a picture of her manicure on social media from her steering wheel while her odometer showed she was going 80+ mph), etc.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:16 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,557,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've read various comparisons, texting/using a cellphone while driving is 4X, 6X, even 8X more dangerous than driving drunk on the roads, and that depends on their blood alcohol level.

Here, in Nevada, the fine for texting/using a cellphone while driving is a measly $50, for a first offense, compared to a drunk driving charge of $2000+.

Now something just doesn't add up here on my calculator! You would think, given the comparison, that the former fine should be close to $4000-$5000.

What do you think?
No, using a cell phone while driving shouldn't carry a fine; it should be made impossible to use the cell phone to text while driving, though. Cars should also come with a blocking mechanism, and calls should be forwarded to a hands-free blue tooth device so that the driver can talk (or text) without having to fumble with a phone. Some cars already have these devices. Punishing people for using a cell phone as if it's drunk driving might penalize responsible phone users who want to check on their friends and families and put unnecessary regulations on people who use hands-free devices and pose little danger to other drivers.

On the other hand, there's no app for drunk driving (other than maybe a designated driver and the rare self driving cars). Plus, there's a key difference between engaging in a reckless activity that can kill you and other people and, say, instinctively reaching for the phone when you see that it's a call from a loved one. Different problems should have different solutions.

Last edited by krmb; 01-27-2017 at 09:27 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 09:38 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,513,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Maybe if people used advanced technology better occasional use of texting while driving would not be the great danger it is.

Hell, I can barely send text messages sitting on my couch! I'm a "hands free required" state, and have an iPhone + voice control speakerphone (on visor).

Yet in my car I can speak the phrase that gets my speakerphone, then tell my speakerphone "phone commands," Siri beeps, and then I can send a text by saying, "Tell Pam I'll be at your house in 5 minutes" and Siri sends my text message. By similar voice commands I can get Siri to read incoming texts.

However, tinkering with anything takes your attention away from driving and increases your chance of having an accident. Even using your cellphone with a hands free device takes away concentration. Fiddling with a CD takes away from your concentration.

I've even wondered sometimes if using GPS navigation takes away attention.
I've read that hands-free phone use is just as dangerous. Turns out it's not just having your eyes off the road. It's that your ATTENTION is off the road. Makes sense. Driving is no time to try multi-tasking.

GPS does take my attention. I try to be careful while using it, and find myself not looking at it as I would like.

Texting and phone use is so common these days, and so dangerous, that that is one of the main things I worry about on the road. Someone on a phone swerving or not paying enough attention so they can swerve or stop to avoid an accident.

I was driving on a trip recently, when my cell phone rang. And rang. And rang. It's hard not to answer it. But I didn't. I try to think of myself as incommunicado when I'm driving. It's nice to be incommunicado at times.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:00 PM

50,306 posts, read 23,909,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I've read that hands-free phone use is just as dangerous. Turns out it's not just having your eyes off the road. It's that your ATTENTION is off the road. Makes sense. Driving is no time to try multi-tasking.

GPS does take my attention. I try to be careful while using it, and find myself not looking at it as I would like.

Texting and phone use is so common these days, and so dangerous, that that is one of the main things I worry about on the road. Someone on a phone swerving or not paying enough attention so they can swerve or stop to avoid an accident.

I was driving on a trip recently, when my cell phone rang. And rang. And rang. It's hard not to answer it. But I didn't. I try to think of myself as incommunicado when I'm driving. It's nice to be incommunicado at times.
That's why I have hands-free calling with Onstar. I don't talk much on even that while driving, but on rare occasions; and if it is a bad driving area, then I don't use it at all.

I also like the turn-by-turn directions I have with Onstar. I don't have to look at a screen at all. Just listen.

I don't take incoming calls while driving at all.

I think we have to remember that driving is one big series of distractions.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:03 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,003,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

Although I believe that hands-free phone use can still be dangerous, it's hard for me to believe that it's just as dangerous...unless the person doesn't know how to use it and is fiddling with it while driving.

That said, I still think it's totally dangerous.

Also, I know how hard it is or how tempting it is to try to grab your phone while driving, but I don't...ever. My phone is always in my purse in the passenger seat when I'm driving by myself, but I ignore it. I won't lie, though...I do get distracted..."Who was that? Was that important?"

The last time I pulled over to check it out, it was just an appointment reminder from the dentist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates