Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 04:18 PM

7,665 posts, read 5,381,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
There is talk of further lowering the maximum legal blood alcohol content to under 0.08%. Furthermore, much lower BAC levels have influenced legal decisions on auto accident lawsuits, arguing that some lower level (e.g. 0.04%) was enough to impair the driver's ability to drive safely and was a contributory cause of the traffic accident.

You don't have to have 0.08% BAC to be convicted of DUI although in most (but not all) cases that is the standard.
Sounds good to me (to lower it to 0.04% or whatever is determined to be appropriate so that a person is not even slightly impaired.)

Old 02-01-2017, 09:38 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,998,249 times
My dad has a CDL license and can get a DUI if he blows a .04 or higher, even if he's driving his personal vehicle. We're in NC.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:10 AM

14,530 posts, read 19,991,333 times
The DUI limit applies to the state the violation occurs in, not the state the driver's license was issued in.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:21 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,944,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think driving while not looking at the road for 5-10 seconds at a time is madness.I'm surprised a device isnt incorporated into cars that prevents cell phone use from the drivers seat while the car is in motion.
That's an awful idea.
What if the driver has a passenger? What if the passenger could reply for the driver?
How would the technology differentiate between the driver and the passenger? What if the technology is glitchy and locks up the passengers devices too?

Plus that just seems invasive. You're preventing people from breaking the law instead of just punishing them afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Expense and they'd find a way to get around it.

Frankly I think that if they can show you caused an accident due to cell use then you should face some penalty similar to DUI.
Not to mention it's invasive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
No, using a cell phone while driving shouldn't carry a fine; it should be made impossible to use the cell phone to text while driving, though. Cars should also come with a blocking mechanism, and calls should be forwarded to a hands-free blue tooth device so that the driver can talk (or text) without having to fumble with a phone. Some cars already have these devices. Punishing people for using a cell phone as if it's drunk driving might penalize responsible phone users who want to check on their friends and families and put unnecessary regulations on people who use hands-free devices and pose little danger to other drivers.

On the other hand, there's no app for drunk driving (other than maybe a designated driver and the rare self driving cars). Plus, there's a key difference between engaging in a reckless activity that can kill you and other people and, say, instinctively reaching for the phone when you see that it's a call from a loved one. Different problems should have different solutions.
How do you keep the passengers phone from getting locked up too?

Old 02-12-2017, 11:15 AM

Just being in a conversation with a passenger can take away enough of the driver's attention to increase the chances of an accident.

Maybe we should outlaw passengers, radios, cellphones, food (eating), definitely makeup!

Old 03-26-2017, 06:44 PM

7,665 posts, read 5,381,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
My dad has a CDL license and can get a DUI if he blows a .04 or higher, even if he's driving his personal vehicle. We're in NC.
The ownership of a vehicle has no bearing on DUI laws, to the best of my knowledge.

It is the driver who is cited, not the car.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:56 PM

The driver of the car is responsible to follow the laws of the jurisdiction they are driving in. If NC has a 0.04 DUI law and the driver "blows" 0.04+ then they may be issued a citation and will be meted the same punishment as NC residents are subject to.

It has nothing to do with the car registration. It is a moving violation. It depends only on the laws applicable to where the car is being driven in.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:58 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,621,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've read various comparisons, texting/using a cellphone while driving is 4X, 6X, even 8X more dangerous than driving drunk on the roads, and that depends on their blood alcohol level.

Here, in Nevada, the fine for texting/using a cellphone while driving is a measly $50, for a first offense, compared to a drunk driving charge of $2000+.

Now something just doesn't add up here on my calculator! You would think, given the comparison, that the former fine should be close to $4000-$5000.

What do you think?
The reason texting fines are lower is that everyone does it while few people drive drunk these days. I don't know anyone who hasn't texted in the car.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
The reason texting fines are lower is that everyone does it while few people drive drunk these days. I don't know anyone who hasn't texted in the car.
I completely disagree with you about texting while driving. Reading or typing on your cellphone takes not only your eyes off the road and traffic, but takes your attention off of driving. I totally believe that texting is seriously more dangerous than tipsy driving, although maybe equal to somebody who is practically falling down drunk.

However...

I have an iPhone plus a visor mounted speakerphone. The speakerphone connects to my iPhone of course, and without taking my hands off the wheel or my eyes off the road I can wake my speakerphone and tell it to access my cellphone commands, which wakes up Siri. Then through voice commands to Siri I can ask her/it to send texts, read texts back to me, phone somebody, get directions to one of my contacts. Actually I probably know only one-tenth of all the stuff I can do with Siri's voice commands.

Yet...

This still detracts from my attention to driving, but not as much as actually reading the screen or using the keyboard to text.

Actually it's one of my favorite devices, my iPhone, because it is so helpful while I'm driving with so many tasks. I hardly ever text or even talk on the phone while driving, but the driving directions are awesome! I love being able to just wake Siri and say, "directions to {some place}" etc. and then set my iPhone in the coffee cup holder in my console, and Siri reads me driving directions or I can glance at the phone to see how we're doing.

But it's just as crazy to text while driving as it is to drink and drive, although I think texting or phoning can be a lot safer if you use a hands free device.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:34 PM

22,572 posts, read 24,376,202 times
At this time, there is NO WAY to have an effect on peoples behavior, with regards to driving-while-gadgeting.

There has to be sufficient levels of enforcement, on a regular basis, with harsh penalties....to make any meaningful changes in peoples behavior. The cat is out of the bag and it is not getting put back.....that is just the reality.

One of the best things that can be done, is harsh criminal-charges, if someone
injures others, because they are gadgeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates