Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 04:33 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,486,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
To the extent that anything alleged in the OP is even true, I will simply say this. If you are going to tell someone they are bad, they are often going to get defensive about it. When the person being disparaged belongs to a group whose self defense is defined as hatred, then the act of being defensive is seen as being hateful. When the person being defensive knows his self defense is going to be perceived as being hateful, he may often feel free to live up to the perception, because he's going to have to live with the label either way.
Precisely. According to acceptable mainstream thought, it was perfectly OK to have groups such as La Raza, the NAACP, BLM, ADL, and a multitude of other organizations to advocate for the interests of non-whites. But as soon as white people, or white men in particular, start organizing in order to defend their interests, they're characterized as hateful. White men in large numbers have finally woken up to this, and they no longer care if they're called "racist", "chauvinist", "entitled", "privileged", or whatever other label leftists wish to place on them.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:14 PM

50,469 posts, read 24,054,533 times
I think the OP misunderstands one thing. It isn't just younger white men that are radicalizing. There seems to be a tendency for all "interest groups" to be more radical.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:41 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,859,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Precisely. According to acceptable mainstream thought, it was perfectly OK to have groups such as La Raza, the NAACP, BLM, ADL, and a multitude of other organizations to advocate for the interests of non-whites. But as soon as white people, or white men in particular, start organizing in order to defend their interests, they're characterized as hateful. White men in large numbers have finally woken up to this, and they no longer care if they're called "racist", "chauvinist", "entitled", "privileged", or whatever other label leftists wish to place on them.
This is a peculiar statement. Can you list the what these interests are that white men need to defend for "white people"?

Old 03-19-2017, 05:53 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,771,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
This is a peculiar statement. Can you list the what these interests are that white men need to defend for "white people"?
Well, it's pretty clear - maintaining their social/political/economic dominance to the detriment of non-whites, or non-whites and/or non-men.

The Mysterious Benefactor is trying to draw an equivalency between groups like the NAACP and white supremacist groups, either to portray the former as vile and racist or the latter as legitimate. Of course, that's complete nonsense. The NAACP is an example of a defensive group that seeks equality for blacks. The embarrassingly pathetic NAAWP (the National Association for the Advancement of White People, the modern incarnation of which is the spawn of enthusiastic Trumpling David Duke) - and I say this as a white man - is not seeking to raise up whites or to establish equality but is clearly seeking to perpetuate white supremacy and privilege. The NAACP obviously is not seeking either black supremacy or privilege.

The attempt to blur the line between defensive organizations that form in response to oppression, and organizations that are, or seek to be, the mechanisms of oppression, is an old and transparent arrow in the white supremacist quiver.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:52 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,632,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think the OP misunderstands one thing. It isn't just younger white men that are radicalizing. There seems to be a tendency for all "interest groups" to be more radical.
One of the defining characteristics of RWA (Right Wing Authoritarians) can be summed up informally in this manner.

We all know the statement our POTUS has made about "I could step out into the street and kill someone and my supporters would still support me". Well, it turns out that is true.

Studies show that it wouldn't take too many RWA's at any such inflection point to pull the trigger. That is, if you had a group of "Radicalized Trump Followers" and he told them to go beat up a guy standing with a protest sign across the street (or to shoot him), it would likely happen if there were a dozen or so RWA's present (I think the study I read said in general a mob of 7 would suffice).

The biggest problem we have now in this country is Right Wing Authoritarianism - where people have given up their free thinking to be part of "the mob" who follow - no matter what - the thought process of their chosen leader. It seems impossible....but it has happened. As many of my friends say - it's as if their Trump supporting friends have lost their minds. It's one thing to vote for someone - quite another to then defend every lie, misdeed, wrong, etc. that Trump takes part in.

For those not family, read about the RWA personality. It's about 30% or more of the population which is why Trumps approval rating stands at about 37% right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-...thoritarianism

Old 03-19-2017, 08:03 PM

178 posts, read 172,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
A LOT of folks feel this way, & I completely understand. I'll break it down a little further.

No set of "privileges" should be interpreted to mean that someone has it easy in every situation.

The perfect example of white privilege operating independently to socioeconomic privilege is in the way employers respond to applicants with names that indicate different ethnic backgrounds. It's even been outlined in some topics on here that resumes were "thrown out" if they had certain names.

A white person from a poor background still gets the benefit of having a white-sounding name. This is an example of white privilege. The term does not mean that all white people are generally "privileged" in the sense of coming from affluent backgrounds. It means that there are circumstances where being white confers a benefit not available to those of other races. Those sorts of circumstances certainly exist.

The very fact that it's not easy for you to pick out instances of white privilege operating in the lives of more disadvantaged white people is a testament to what a privilege it really is.

For example, a white person can walk into a store and browse around without buying anything and never have to think twice about whether someone is watching them or whether their movements are considered suspicious enough to warrant them being accosted by security. A black person of the same economic background walks into a store and often assumes he's being watched closely (and would be correct quite a bit) and has to go out of his way to not look suspicious.

A white person can get pulled over for a moving violation and have his only worry be how much it will hurt his wallet, a black person has to fear for his safety and whether he's going to be arrested for what would only warrant a ticket for a white person.

Money and social status certainly factor in. Rich whites have privileges that poor whites don't have.

If mass shootings were to be treated as a "mental illness" we'd still have to examine why such an illness disproportionately affects White Men.

I dont know where you get this stuff.
Substitute White with Poor and perhaps you are right. Im white. I grew up poor and in the city. When we went to the suburbs, I was hassled just as much as my Black and Latino friends. Perhaps even more. But hindsight has told me that it was my culture of being poor that the Suburban white people didnt like. It had little to do with my skin color. It was my long hair and crappy clothes that made them treat me the way they did.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:53 PM

18,556 posts, read 7,329,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The interests of white people are the same as the interests of all groups of people. You know, staying alive in the short term and the long term. Having political autonomy, territory, and other resources to facilitate survival.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 03-19-2017 at 10:28 PM..

Old 03-19-2017, 10:32 PM

18,556 posts, read 7,329,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
The boom-towns in the Rockies that gold and silver once gave rise to are in so many cases today called "ghost towns." The same needs to happen in Appalachia, etc. Coal and steel jobs are not coming back.
One of the many unjust effects of government immigration policy is that it makes it harder for people like former coal miners to take advantage of new boom towns. The government allows immigrants to flood the boom towns at the expense of internal migrants.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:04 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,486,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The interests of white people are the same as the interests of all groups of people. You know, staying alive in the short term and the long term. Having political autonomy, territory, and other resources to facilitate survival.
Thank you. The answer is obvious; I'm not sure why this is so difficult for some to understand. Preserving our culture and our future is critical, just as it is with any other race.

The fact is, preserving/protecting the white race is not to the detriment of non-whites. Non-whites have access to clean water, electricity, life-saving medicines, motor vehicles, home appliances, telephones, the internet, etc, etc. etc. solely because of white people. Virtually everything that anyone in the world uses today was created by white men.

Jesus, if only these people could spend a week in a world absent the influence of the white people they wish to demonize.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:37 AM

178 posts, read 172,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
The boom-towns in the Rockies that gold and silver once gave rise to are in so many cases today called "ghost towns." The same needs to happen in Appalachia, etc. Coal and steel jobs are not coming back. Ever. Aside from planting pot, there is little else of any economic prospect to turn to. People need to leave. This is the message that markets have already long been sending.
Coal and steel are destined to come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.