Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 07:21 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,231 times

Advertisements

80% of the US population lives within 50 miles of either coast, so I'd say about 80% of social movements do.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:21 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
80% of the US population lives within 50 miles of either coast, so I'd say about 80% of social movements do.
That's not a good number. Counting the Gulf of Mexico, it's more like 55%. Once you lop off anything on the Gulf of Mexico and anything south of metro-DC, it's more like 30% in the blue state Northeast Corridor and West Coast.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:00 AM

50,798 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
How many religions refer to their deity as "God"? Offhand, I can think of only one, but I don't subscribe to any of them, so I might not be an expert.
What is your point?

Whether Hinuds (for example) call their "beings" gods or not would seem to be fairly irrelevant since they clearly worship them.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:38 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,960 times
I am wondering if any movements originated in the Midwest or south and moved to the coastal states? We in the Midwest were always fly over country and the east coast and west looked down on us as they also looked down on the south as being backwards and out of touch. I envied east coast people when I was younger but now see that it doesn't make any difference where you are from because you yourself will be where-ever you are.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I am wondering if any movements originated in the Midwest or south and moved to the coastal states? We in the Midwest were always fly over country and the east coast and west looked down on us as they also looked down on the south as being backwards and out of touch. I envied east coast people when I was younger but now see that it doesn't make any difference where you are from because you yourself will be where-ever you are.
Branch Davidian - Waco
Ted Kaczynski/Unabomber - From Illinois, Harvard, Berkeley, hermit in Montana
Charles Manson is from Ohio
Jim Jones was from Indiana. I'm not sure where the Kool Aid came from.

Rick Santelli, the Tea Party founder, is from Chicago
Rush Limbaugh is from Missouri

So I guess you can find lots of examples of crazies and extreme right wingers from flyover country.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Like God, Family, and Country? Having grown up in the midwest, lived on both coasts and now happily in the deep South, I can say without hesitation that the South and midwest are both not closer to the values of mainstream America because they ARE mainstream America.
This included the signs on the bathroom doors at the service stations in the mid-70's (I lived i TN) - which were intentionally painted over very lightly so you could see.

It includes the high rates of poverty, infant mortality, STD's, divorce and other such statistics.

I guess if God is a mean one and family means all of them being sick and dying young, you have a point with those two.

Lord help us if the rest of the country has to head backwards to those types of values.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:29 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Actually, the upper midwest and even Kansas were hotbeds of progressivism.
https://www.kshs.org/kansapedia/prog...movement/14522

There are good reasons, however, that most progressive movements (labor laws, universal suffrage, unions, weekends off, etc.) started in the Northeast - because that is where the people and the mines, etc. were.

Places like WV were very illiterate and they were taken advantage of by Wall Street early in the game. By the time they woke up (if ever) all their minerals, trees and everything else that would create wealth and a society was sold off to JP Morgan and the Rockefellers. TX and LA politics were formed in a very simple matter "I want to drill how and where I want, I don't want to pay taxes when I do, and if I pollute so be it- you (the Feds) have no right to tell me anything"...

So there is not a single flyover country. There are many many parts some closer to the northeast (industrial midwest), some agricultural and some based solely on resource extraction.

No movement of any enlightenment would have started in the deep south since it was a place of deep human bondage and misery. Most everything was based on this. Virginia gave a lot to the original colonies (thinkers) but these were the .001% who owned 10's of thousands of acres as well as the slaves to work them.

Places like Nevada, E. California, CO, etc. were also based on "use it up and leave it" culture of resource extraction so - again, you wouldn't find enlightened policies coming out of most of them.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:49 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,016,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What is your point?
That only Christianity refers to its deity as "God" and spells it that way.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:55 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,016,633 times
"Fly-over country" is a widely understood, broad-brush descriptor accomplished in very few letters. It has a close relative in "pea-picker". Neither one of them has a necessary connection in fact.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:07 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
That only Christianity refers to its deity as "God" and spells it that way.
I fail to see the significance of that. Other cultures/religions have gods. Naturally they don't spell it that way...they don't write in English. Hindus in India don't write in English, as just one example.

Either I'm missing something, or you're arguing for the sake of arguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates