Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:28 PM

128 posts, read 437,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
I've never seen statistics that correlate coffee drinking with hard drug use. I have seen studies that do, however, strongly correlate use of marijuana with use of harder drugs. No, everyone doesn't move on, but many do, and in large enough numbers to implicate marijuana use.
Probably because there are no studies done to correlate caffeine (coffee is not the only thing you can ingest to get caffeine...soda and caffeine pills are to other ones that pop in to my head). And I like how you sidestepped my amphetamines for ADD part

Quote:
A metabolyte is a chemical by-product of the process of being metabolized in the body, it's not something contained in the plant.
Thanks, I thought that was wrong...I meant alkaloids.

Quote:
Of course it's considered, it's the primary argument the medicinal MJ crowd uses. What the literature you're reading fails to mention is the use of a wide variety of alternative delivery mechanisms: transdermal patches, aerosol inhalants, subcutaneous time-released meds, etc...sucking in the smoke from burning weeds is hardly a medically advisable means of delivery of a drug. Would you also advocate licking a moldy cantaloupe as an alternative to taking penicillin pills?
I haven't looked in to it in a while but I'm not aware of any form of pharmaceutical synthetic THC other than pill. Show me these other available forms. Also, Marinol can take an hour to have effect...vaporizing just a few minutes (btw, vaporizing is not smoking and is healthier...look it up if you're not sure what it is). You can also EAT marijuana or drink it in a tea, you don't have to smoke it.

As for your penicillin comment...that's just stupid, I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
I'm aware, and uninterested. That's politics.
No, that is close-mindedness and ignorance. Thanks for clearing that up

Quote:
I think many of us still oppose its use because we've seen people that were otherwise promising turn themselves into dullards with the motivation of a hound dog on a 100 degree summer afternoon. MY push for excluding users of marijuana from employment is based on seeing how the people I knew that used that crap grew not to give a rat's a** about much of anything except the next party and where the next score was coming from. I cannot trust somebody playing with that crap to work for me doing anything that requires attention to detail and/or a sense of responsibility for their work and those affected by it. In fact, I can't trust many of those folks to even show up for work two days in a row.
Ah, so you're only familiar with the stereotypical potheads that get all the press. That's just like some women think that all men are cheaters and only want sex...you and I both know that is not true.

As for showing up to work in bold, that's pretty funny because the only times I have not gone to work in the past six years is when I was sick from allergies/strep throat/flu or was on vacation. Same goes for a bunch of other people I know. Like I said to McGowdog, the only ones that you really notice are the ones that give everyone else a bad name because they are more open about it and conform to the stereotypes. I guarantee you that if I worked for/with you you'd never know I smoked a day in my life. Hell, my previous employer of five years could vouch for that...maybe I can find some of my evaluation reports and scan/post the attendance portions. Heck, maybe I should post the whole thing where they praise me on my work ethic, intelligence, positive attitude, and all that jazz. Then again maybe I shouldn't because it might shatter your world view that all pot smokers are lazy and useless losers.

Quote:
Bulldoodle. It might be impossible for YOU to get permission to do a medical study. OTOH, it might be impossible for you to get permission to do brain surgery on your neighbor's cat, too.
Right, and we all know how much we can trust the feds to conduct non-biased research on medicinal uses of MJ After all they've done nothing but tell us the truth for the past sixty years, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt777 View Post
I can't believe how this argument goes back and forth so many times between so many people and so few people hit basic common sense on the issue. It's a weed!!!!!! It grows in the ground!!!!!! Who in their right mind would try to regulate it or especially declare war on it? People who genuinely think it is their job to look into everyone else's business. So many of these posts reek of parrots and robots. "We don't take that marijuana smokin' hippie stuff round here. No sir, we don't need no pot head druggies." I don't even like weed or take any drugs (pharmaceutical or otherwise) unless severely injured, but at least I can think for my self on the issue. I know many prominent and not so prominent people who love their weed. Who cares? Honestly people, let your common sense breath for a second.

As for the doctors you have spoken with that say there are better drugs for everything mj proponents say weed is good for, perhaps there are. However, they also come with a ridiculous list of side effects usually including "in some cases, death". Stop believing everything you hear. Those people are drug pushers also. They just have the money to lobby and see that their drugs are legal and advertised on every other tv/radio commercial.

I think that what keeps happening here is that people are brought up thinking and defending one narrow minded way and at some point they will never be able to listen to common sense. Because if they did, they would have to admit that they and their teachers may have been wrong all along, and we just can't have that now. "Screw the truth or common sense if it means that I might have been arguing erroneously this whole time." Think for yourself!! Its okay, I promise nothing bad will happen.

Many of you that argue against the use of this plant (just a plant mind you) probably believe in God and are religious. That's fine, but don't you think that perhaps that God put everything here for some reason? (Ecclesiastes- "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven") I know one thing many of you believe about God is that he gave us freedom. Even at the price he knew would be great, He did it anyway. If freedom was so important to God, then why with such ease do you take it from others?

The U.S. has the highest prison population in the world per capita. Even higher than the U.S.S.R. and China combined durring the height of their communist regimes. Most of the inmates are there for victimless crime. How is this possible? The war on drugs and the government being bent on regulating everything is how. According to the Dep. of Justice, 1 in every 30 adults is in jail or on parole and 1 in 18 males behind bars. From 95 to 07 violent crime dropped 22.5% and property crime dropped 22.7%, yet the number of incarcerations durring that time increased dramatically. Perhaps one day you too will wake up and find that you're on the Sh'tlist for some dumb reason and maybe then you'll see it. Until then, try to let a little reason enter into that big brain.

- Thomas Jefferson
Damn, someone else always says it first. I don't think anyone heard you jt7. They keep saying dumb things. So lets make em read it again.
And why do you people insist on grouping in the weed crowd with the tweakers and crackheads? Obviously you have never even tried weed. If I had to compare it to alcohol it would be like a cherry bomb next to a nuclear warhead. And the gateway thing cracks me up. Yeah, its a gateway to thinking for your self. I think it could help some people here.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 AM

447 posts, read 1,606,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigsfist View Post
And the gateway thing cracks me up. Yeah, its a gateway to thinking for your self. I think it could help some people here.
This has always been my philosophy on the gateway "thing".....The only reason that it is a gateway drug is because it teaches smokers to do something illegal.......if it weren't illegal then it would be about as effective as a "gateway drug" as cigarettes.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:31 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,289,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edesign View Post
I haven't looked in to it in a while but I'm not aware of any form of pharmaceutical synthetic THC other than pill. Show me these other available forms. Also, Marinol can take an hour to have effect...vaporizing just a few minutes (btw, vaporizing is not smoking and is healthier...look it up if you're not sure what it is). You can also EAT marijuana or drink it in a tea, you don't have to smoke it.
Dronabinol is a metered-dose inhaled form of synthetic Delta-9 THC.

Your argument was that people can't eat/drink due to nausea, and therefore can't take other drugs. If they can tolerate oral meds, we're back to a whole assortment of better drugs than THC.

Quote:
Ah, so you're only familiar with the stereotypical potheads that get all the press. That's just like some women think that all men are cheaters and only want sex...you and I both know that is not true.
No, I knew real world dopers, and they behaved as described. Not just one or two, either.

Quote:
As for showing up to work in bold, that's pretty funny because the only times I have not gone to work in the past six years is when I was sick from allergies/strep throat/flu or was on vacation. Same goes for a bunch of other people I know. Like I said to McGowdog, the only ones that you really notice are the ones that give everyone else a bad name because they are more open about it and conform to the stereotypes. I guarantee you that if I worked for/with you you'd never know I smoked a day in my life. Hell, my previous employer of five years could vouch for that...maybe I can find some of my evaluation reports and scan/post the attendance portions. Heck, maybe I should post the whole thing where they praise me on my work ethic, intelligence, positive attitude, and all that jazz. Then again maybe I shouldn't because it might shatter your world view that all pot smokers are lazy and useless losers.
We used to do drug testing on employees with absenteeism issues, and we culled out quite a few that way. Turns out there was an elevated positive hit rate in that cohort. Gee, what a surprise.

And if you worked for me, one hair sample would tell me all I needed to know. And you'd be gone...I never had that luxury of allowing that kind of uncertainty in. It's not worth taking a chance on a doper when there is so much uncontaminated good talent out there.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:21 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
And the drug cartel border violence will disappear almost overnight, just as the gang problems did after the repeal of prohibition.
Not quite. Just as the Mafia shifted from alcohol to drugs, prostitution and gambling, the present day cartels will shift into something to stay in business. Kidnapping is easy, selling body parts is profitable, piracy is working great, etc. They have huge, well funded organizations and they won't just go away overnight. However, drugs is what has made them as wealthy as small nations and taking away that easy money will weaken them. It's a step in the right direction. Getting legislation passed to legalize drugs will be a real uphill fight, however, because the drug cartels have many people in law enforcement and our government bought off.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:27 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Default If the earth were a golfball...

Anybody in here that can handle a little doobage... could handle just about the 1st five minutes of this. Go ahead, I dare ya.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:46 PM

355 posts, read 1,404,148 times
/me smokes joint and laughs at this thread

Old 04-25-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Not quite. Just as the Mafia shifted from alcohol to drugs, prostitution and gambling, the present day cartels will shift into something to stay in business. Kidnapping is easy, selling body parts is profitable, piracy is working great, etc. They have huge, well funded organizations and they won't just go away overnight. However, drugs is what has made them as wealthy as small nations and taking away that easy money will weaken them. It's a step in the right direction. Getting legislation passed to legalize drugs will be a real uphill fight, however, because the drug cartels have many people in law enforcement and our government bought off.
I didn't say gangs (including the mafia) would disappear, just the concentrated violence. Sure, they'll go back to their traditional venues like hookers, gambling, and trafficking in humans. Kidnapping for profit doesn't work so well around here, nor does piracy in this hemisphere.

As far as the legislative changes to legalize the crap, I agree, the corrupt money is actually on the side against it. Could be, though, that legislators wrestling with the budget challenges that come with economic depression will look at the money being spent to protect losers from themselves and decide it's not worth it. It's far cheaper to test and bar participation at common nodes like the unemployment office, public health venues, employers etc than to pay to track 'em down and keep them fed and sheltered in jail.

I have relatives near Amsterdam, and have visited a number of times. In the late mornings, especially on the weekends, hundreds of those who take advantage of easy availability of drugs drag their strung-out carcasses out on the streets looking like the walking dead. It's a great visual statement of how cool it really is to use that crap.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:56 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times
You guys are so lucky Colorado is one of the handful of states in the U.S that may fully legalize this year or next.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
You guys are so lucky Colorado is one of the handful of states in the U.S that may fully legalize this year or next.

Yeah, natural selection really is one of God's greatest gifts.

To those who are about to die...errrrrrrr I mean get high...we salute you.

Good riddance! We won't miss you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates