Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 09:35 AM

4,050 posts, read 2,132,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That's not they way it's always been.

Why not separate by gender, not sex. Everyone who looks and acts like a man uses one restroom; everyone who looks and acts like a woman uses the other. Until recent legislation, that's how it was done.

You are way, way behind on human reproduction, kiddo. Intercourse is no longer even necessary to make a baby.

???? How does someone act like a man? Or like a woman? Or look like one? If I'm female and don't wear makeup and don't wear a dress, am I still looking like a woman? And how does someone act like a man or a woman in a restroom? Do all men swagger in like a cowboy in an old western movie? Does every woman sashay her hips as she moves into the restroom? There's some guys who use makeup/hair styling products. Is that feminine behavior that should move them from the men's restroom into the women's?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:42 AM

4,050 posts, read 2,132,994 times
What if gender dysphoria was seen as a true mental illness just like anorexia? With anorexia and bulimia, the majority of people with it don't really need to lose weight. They have an impaired body image that tells them that they do, that there is a much skinnier person inside of them that needs to be shown on the outside. Is there really no possibility that psychologists will eventually say that gender dysphoria is one type of mental illness, seen on its own or typically accompanied by other disorders? I do agree with some former things being removed as illnesses, like homosexuality. But let's face it, there ARE some mental illnesses.

I think it's interesting that on the TV show, Transparent, which is very sympathetic to TG, that the lead character isn't all that happy once he functions as a she. Some of this is because s/he isn't eligible for the full surgery so s/he still has to look at the sexual organs that refuse to pretend that s/he was born a biological male. But what if the ultimate in mental health is accepting what you are born with in terms of genetics, appearance, sex, etc. and just being the best, happiest you possible within those parameters. I would have loved to have born with the type of body and athletic skill that could become a prima ballerina, but I moved on and lived a happy life without being one....

Last edited by jazzcat22; 03-28-2017 at 10:42 AM..

Old 03-28-2017, 09:58 AM

1,640 posts, read 794,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I don't expect any "kowtowing'- I have no influence on this matter, and neither do you. I can express my disgust for the whole issue however, and you are free to "kowtow" to my opinion!
You're disgusted that women are unwilling to quietly allow men into their private spaces and usurp our rights? Well, too bad.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:59 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I am being honest.

You just don't like what I'm saying.

We have very little middle ground here, as I disagree with your very premise that being transgender is the result of a "feeling".

Your views on the subject are your opinion. You have the right to your opinion, I have the right to not agree with you. "Educate yourself" in your context equates to "agree with me". I don't agree. That's it.

No, it doesn't.

You honestly believe that the suicide rate is so high in the TG population because of society and that the TGs themselves have ZERO to do with it. That they apparently have no choice other than to commit suicide. That is a false assumption. There is a reason the rate is so high, and you are ignoring it.

You haven't looked into the school curriculum that is developmental inappropriate for children that is being forced into the school systems WITHOUT notifying parents about it.

You haven't ACKNOWLEDGED the lawsuits by TGs who were given multiple options as to where to use facilities within the school system who instead demand that they and only they get to decide where to go REGARDLESS of the 99.5% other students, trampling their right to privacy. And ADA does not apply (even if they were a disabled person class) because putting in a ramp or lowering a faucet or adding in captions or having a system for the deaf does not infringe on anyone ELSE's rights.

You haven't acknowledged that they are a minority, which makes them a protected class, legally.

I don't give a fig if you agree with me.

But stop deluding yourself that you understand this situation from all sides. You don't. You just keep parroting that people need to get over there icky feelings about TGs. Because when the icky feelings go away, why that solves everything. Those 5 year olds reallllly benefit from sex training in kindergarten, they really do. And why that suicide rate will drop POOF, just like that overnight.

Be honest with yourself. Take a look at the information people are SHOWING YOU. You are uninformed on most of the issues surrounding TG.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:19 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
I'll let some prominent 20th century philosophy speak for me on this:

"Cruised into a bar on the shore
Her picture graced the grime on the door
She's a long lost love at first bite
Baby, maybe you're wrong
But you know it's all right, that's right....

....So never judge a book by its cover
Or who you gonna love by your lover
Love put me wise to her love in disguise
She had the body of a Venus
Lord, imagine my surprise

Dude looks like a lady
Dude. looks. like. a. lady."

If we could rock out to the idea 30 years ago, why such a controversy now?

Seriously who gives a crap? The idea that sex offenders are going to pose as TS women to go into women's restrooms & peep at them or do whatever else has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. People that are so concerned about their daughters being peeked at should monitor what those daughters are doing voluntarily with their internet and smartphone, much more than worry about who's sneaking into the restroom. Seriously.

While biological sex might not be a "continuum," gender roles, ie: the clothes people wear and how they behave, are most definitely a social construct. If some people feel that they are more one than the other despite their biological sex & get themselves some surgery to solidify whatever identity issue they're having... who cares? Let them go into the restroom where they are going to feel most comfortable. What the heck do you think goes on in women's restrooms anyway? When I'm in the restroom I keep my eyes on my lane... I don't freaking care and don't what to know what anyone else has going on in there.

Last edited by redguard57; 03-28-2017 at 11:30 AM..

Old 03-28-2017, 11:19 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
You're disgusted that women are unwilling to quietly allow men into their private spaces and usurp our rights? Well, too bad.
Please don't hurt my feelings!

Old 03-28-2017, 11:27 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,228 times
Personally, I'm disgusted by it because it's kinda disgusting. So is picking your nose, but I don't mind if other people do it, I just don't want watch or be forced to like it.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:53 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The very sentence in bold disputes your theory.

It says "a state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones)."

In other words, if our society accepts that the female gender, for example, can include persons that have male primary sex characteristics and chromosomes but identify personally as women, then it is so.

It absolutely does not. When discussing biological differences between males and females, sex is used. When discussing social and cultural differences between males and females, gender is used.

Examples:

It is interesting to note the hormonal differences between the sexes.

It is interesting to note the occupational differences between the genders.

Sex and gender refer to the exact same group of people, males and females, each time. The word choice is based on the context.

Quote:
It's really up to society if we choose to include transgenders as we define males and females.
That is absurd. It's up to science and the science is already out.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:06 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I can't rep you again, but I want to say I appreciate your well-thought out posts, especially the parts I bolded above. Thanks for your contributions.
Thanks! Same to you.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
???? How does someone act like a man? Or like a woman? Or look like one? If I'm female and don't wear makeup and don't wear a dress, am I still looking like a woman? And how does someone act like a man or a woman in a restroom? Do all men swagger in like a cowboy in an old western movie? Does every woman sashay her hips as she moves into the restroom? There's some guys who use makeup/hair styling products. Is that feminine behavior that should move them from the men's restroom into the women's?
Yes.

Put the metros in the women's room.

Our lines will be even shorter - yeah!

A handful of tomboys in the men's room is a fair tradeoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates