Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:38 AM

70 posts, read 65,193 times

Advertisements

For something like white collar crimes yes there should be something for those who aren't axe wielding murderers. I went to prison once. Scariest experience of my life. I worked at the front desk hotel as a night audit. We don't have security so when someone looses a debit or credit card they give it to us and we put it in our work station. One night I got bored and starting using the credit cards. None really worked all were cancelled but one. The next day I got arrested apparently spending over 500 on someone card is a felony so I was in jail for one night. Lost my job. Luckily I was in the process of already leaving ( I had put in my 2 weeks) so I had a job lined up. But when I went there it was so scary. Just thinking in one moment I could've ruined my whole life. It was cold and disgusting. Not light no clock. I had no idea that I would ever be in a situation like that. I guess the guy never charged me usually in a situation like that the card company reimburses you for fraudulent charges. But I'm glad nothing happened that would totally ruin me. Anyways yeah in situations like that. I would say they deserve a nicer Accommodation especially if they never committed a crime in the past. Im not some crazy person out to destroy the world. and I think they knew that so this why I wasn't put on trial.but it would've been nice to be separated from real scary criminals

Old 04-19-2017, 10:52 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
You do realize that most of the people in prison are there for non-violent offenses, right? Is this really how you would treat someone who got arrested for having a joint in their pocket or peeing in an alley?
Do you actually believe people got sent to prison solely for.............."having a joint in their pocket or peeing in an alley " ?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLikeable View Post
For something like white collar crimes yes there should be something for those who aren't axe wielding murderers. I went to prison once. Scariest experience of my life. I worked at the front desk hotel as a night audit. We don't have security so when someone looses a debit or credit card they give it to us and we put it in our work station. One night I got bored and starting using the credit cards. None really worked all were cancelled but one. The next day I got arrested apparently spending over 500 on someone card is a felony so I was in jail for one night. Lost my job. Luckily I was in the process of already leaving ( I had put in my 2 weeks) so I had a job lined up. But when I went there it was so scary. Just thinking in one moment I could've ruined my whole life. It was cold and disgusting. Not light no clock. I had no idea that I would ever be in a situation like that. I guess the guy never charged me usually in a situation like that the card company reimburses you for fraudulent charges. But I'm glad nothing happened that would totally ruin me. Anyways yeah in situations like that. I would say they deserve a nicer Accommodation especially if they never committed a crime in the past. Im not some crazy person out to destroy the world. and I think they knew that so this why I wasn't put on trial.but it would've been nice to be separated from real scary criminals

apples to oranges

in jail for one night vs a felon sent to prison

Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Do you actually believe people got sent to prison solely for.............."having a joint in their pocket or peeing in an alley " ?
It's generally called possession of a controlled substance or public indecency, and yes, people do get locked up for it.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:57 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
apples to oranges

in jail for one night vs a felon sent to prison
I think the point was that losing one's freedom, even for one night, is pretty horrible. That alone is punishment.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:23 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Most people base their opinions of prisons on TV/media reports. That is their only frame of reference. I did 3 years, although I will admit that not all prisons are the same. It is no day at the beach, and we had very few "amenities"! We did NOT get paid for working, with very little recreation, and you live with many people that you cannot stand. The food is terrible, and sleep is difficult- VERY noisy. Most of the guards do as little as possible,and their behavior is no different from most inmates. I don't say any of this for sympathy- I put myself there. However, except for the rare Federal "Country Club" facility- most are very unpleasant, boring, and dangerous. People need to learn to stop believing the media.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
1. prison should not be a resort
2. prison should be humane
3. all prisoners should work and pay for their upkeep.
4. anything above humane level should be considered "luxury" and treated as encouragement for good work - and paid for by prisoners.
5. just came at me. prisoners should be randomly rotated through prisons regularly, so that they do not manage to create alliances and gangs.
From someone who has been there- good suggestions. That's probably why they won't be implemented.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
It's generally called possession of a controlled substance or public indecency, and yes, people do get locked up for it.
sent to prison ?

Really ?

Old 04-19-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This alone though speaks to a fallacy.

The criminal justice system doesn't exist simply for victims. The system exists for the benefit of the entire public which is a class larger than victims.

The purposes of the criminal justice system are these:

1. Deterrence of future crimes (both for that offender and others in the population who might commit crimes)

2. Security. If we lock dangerous offenders up, keep them from doing further harm to the public.

3. Punishment of the offender for committing a wrong. This is the part of the system I am least comfortable with, but I can agree on some level that some type of penalty is called for when someone breaks the law.

Interestingly, the countries that have the least recidivism (prisoners committing crimes after being released from prison) are Scandinavian countries which have some of the most humane prisons in the world.

Americans don't buy the idea that more humane prisons are worth investing in. Perhaps, that is why we have one of the highest recidivist rates among countries in the modern world.
Correct. Most people just assume all inmates are terrible, and should be punished severely. I spent three years in prison, as well as working with offenders before and after I got out. Some inmates have no desire to change, and will keep committing crimes. Some will never re offend. Many fall in between, and if they do not have an education, job skills, and a supportive environment to live in upon their release- they will re offend. The public does not want to hire ex cons, however. Also, the public does not want to spend $ to help them. The public also wants to complain when they re offend. If you are unskilled, uneducated, do not have a good place to reside after being released, then have child support, a Probation fee, and restitution to pay- while getting 25 whole dollars upon your release- guess who is going to re offend?!http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif

Old 04-19-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I think the point was that losing one's freedom, even for one night, is pretty horrible. That alone is punishment.

but not so "horrible" that we have many repeat offenders ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.