Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 07:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There's an old phrase that I think applies to racism and bigotry: as an American you're either part of the problem or part of the solution. I don't really see how anyone can be neutral about the hottest topic in all of this nation's history. It's the one issue that has dogged us from the very beginning of us coming to this continent right up through today.
Is it really? <bold>. I think there's thousands if not millions of people who would disagree. It may be YOUR "hottest topic" as it seems from your posts you are constantly on high alert and looking for anything that could indicate or be construed as racist/bigoted from the way someone moves their body to any word that's uttered be it at the grocery store cashier to the latest TV commercial.

I don't deny that racism/bigotry exists, it always will as we're dealing with humans who are different. It exists on all sides of the color/religious/educational spectrum and always has. How bad it is usually depends on who's Ox is being gored doesn't it?
I find it interesting that there are lots of people who are highly educated that frequently look down their collective noses at those that have no advanced education as "lesser than" or "the great unwashed" and those highly educated people are then the same ones who are constantly espousing how bigoted/racist everyone else is and stating how it needs to end.

Kind of funny/ironic isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 08:34 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Which ones? Everywhere I've been, if you broke a civilian law you got trounced first by the civilian court and then by the military for being a criminal.
The military has you sign a binding work contract that obligates you to a certain # of set years and quitting is not allowed ( punishable by imprisonment )

NO civilian company could have a binding contract like that as there isn't a judge in America who would enforce it.

It would be ruled illegal if a civilian company tried to enforce a contract similar to a military enlistment contract.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:32 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Is it really? <bold>. I think there's thousands if not millions of people who would disagree. It may be YOUR "hottest topic" as it seems from your posts you are constantly on high alert and looking for anything that could indicate or be construed as racist/bigoted from the way someone moves their body to any word that's uttered be it at the grocery store cashier to the latest TV commercial.

I don't deny that racism/bigotry exists, it always will as we're dealing with humans who are different. It exists on all sides of the color/religious/educational spectrum and always has. How bad it is usually depends on who's Ox is being gored doesn't it?
I find it interesting that there are lots of people who are highly educated that frequently look down their collective noses at those that have no advanced education as "lesser than" or "the great unwashed" and those highly educated people are then the same ones who are constantly espousing how bigoted/racist everyone else is and stating how it needs to end.

Here's the difference. Those that have no advanced education can choose to get one. Those who aren't educated in general can educate themselves.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:08 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
well obama called me a racist and bigot because im white so since there nothing I can do to change his mind, I choose to do nothing. Its their problem now, so get over it.
Could you give me a reference for that. I'd like to see exactly what he said.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Okay. You tell me what other topic has affected American history more over the entire history of this country (which is the standard I mentioned in my post).

In fact, maybe in answering you could just cite your own post (see bolded in blue).

Old 05-13-2017, 12:45 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,638 times
Quote:
Nice rant. Except that for virtually all of my adult working life I lived in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., including New Carrollton, Maryland (59% Black), Kettering, Maryland (90% Black), and Dumfries, Virginia (35% Black), and...just to be honest...Falls Church, Virginia (80% White). I also lived for a while in Thailand (let's see...99%+ Asian). And the last few years of retirement here in all too White Colorado. And will hopefully be moving soon to Phoenix, a majority minority area.
Not a rant at all, just trying to educate you on this race topic which seems to preoccupy your entire existence.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Not a rant at all, just trying to educate you on this race topic which seems to preoccupy your entire existence.
Once again you don't address the post, instead you use subterfuge. The post was about your assumption that I lived in a very white area. Which is true for the past few years. And then I educated you that for about 30 years of my life I lived in the immediate vicinity of Washington, D.C. where the population is anything but lily white.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:29 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,638 times
Quote:
Once again you don't address the post, instead you use subterfuge. The post was about your assumption that I lived in a very white area. Which is true for the past few years. And then I educated you that for about 30 years of my life I lived in the immediate vicinity of Washington, D.C. where the population is anything but lily white.
The post was about much more than that ... but, of course, you can't handle the truth.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:41 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,328 times
Quote:
I think that Cynthia Hurd,Susie Jackson, Ethel Lance, Depayne Middleton, Clemta Pinckney, Tywanza Sanders, Daniel Simmons, Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, and Myra Thompson might disagree with you. If they could.
The key word was "usually."

Old 05-13-2017, 04:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Okay. You tell me what other topic has affected American history more over the entire history of this country (which is the standard I mentioned in my post).

In fact, maybe in answering you could just cite your own post (see bolded in blue).
Easy, Religion. It's been the excuse for killing MILLIONS in the past and that bigotry is still going strong denying opportunities across the spectrum, killing,torturing and yes, enslaving thousands if not hundreds of thousands more world wide without much if any any abatement wholly unlike the issues you now decry that have at least lessened over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates