U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe politics and religion are inseperable?
Yes... 7 35.00%
No.... 11 55.00%
Not sure..... 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:37 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,074,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think religion is intertwined in politics. This country was founded by religious people for religious freedom. We've spent the last hundred's of years trying to remove every last vestige of it from our system but we're not done yet.
Not quite, but nice try.
They were deists, not religious; and certainly not religious zealots as you see today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 11:47 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,660,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well they are certainly two very distinct things. Religion is many different things to many different people. It is law, it is spirituality, it is control and it is freedom, depending upon who you ask.

Politics on the other hand is quite easy. Poli =many, and tics= meaning blood sucking parasitic mite.
Could you, in a secular/scientific sense, see religion and politics in the same light as one would see cause and effect, so maybe they're distinct yet entwined?

BTW - Would love to hear others' opinions on the subject.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:54 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,588,323 times
One must never allow politics to mix with religion because they will destroy each other to the detriment of the society.

Politics is basically the use of force to coerce behavior. Religion is the use of faith to shape behavior. If politics can use faith to justify the use of force then there is little limit to the excesses the government can indulge. If religion can use force it no longer requires faith and thus destroys itself.

Let politics remain in the secular domain of money, force and power and religion remain in the realm of faith, goodness and piety.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:01 AM

528 posts, read 1,306,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
One must never allow politics to mix with religion because they will destroy each other to the detriment of the society.

Politics is basically the use of force to coerce behavior. Religion is the use of faith to shape behavior. If politics can use faith to justify the use of force then there is little limit to the excesses the government can indulge. If religion can use force it no longer requires faith and thus destroys itself.

Let politics remain in the secular domain of money, force and power and religion remain in the realm of faith, goodness and piety.
Once again Greg, great explanation and I agree wholeheartedly.

BTW, when people use morals as a reason for or against something, this is, in essence, religion talking, IMO.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,660,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

My line of reasoning is that most get "politics" and statism confused. Statism tends to lend itself to the use of force to coerce behavior. Politic(s), on the other hand, in all its objective glory, basically means to persuade.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:47 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,098,941 times
Our founders specifically seperated church and state for a good reason - they lived under the thumb of a religious monarchy wherein the king controlled the church and the church controlled the people. The church giveth priviledge to the people and the church taketh away. This is how it was in Europe for more than 1000 years before the American Revolution.

It is why my anncestors came to the colonies in 1663. It's why I don't want church in congress and it is why I was absolutely rabid when I heard some preacher tell his congregant to vote as the bible tells her. If the bible teaches or has parable on how to vote in public elections I must have missed it. He should have been advised to tell his congregants to study the issues.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:12 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,247,078 times
No, but the separation of church and hate are inseparable.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:21 AM

464 posts, read 1,480,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Wondering what are your perceptions and perspectives on the matter of politics and religion go hand-in-hand?

The issue of abortion seems to be at the middle of the crossroad between 'politics' and religion. Same as with taxes. (unbeknownst to most people..) I woud even argue that socialized healthcare via government is another topic that seems to be the ever-so-thin line between religion and politics.

One might argue that the word "politics" connotes deviousness and that alone why religion doesn't entwine with politics. The flip-side of the argument could be that there is a perversion of religion or absence of guidance from said religion.

Your thoughts?!.....

(there is a poll....)

We ALL have 'a religion' we follow ; that is...we ALL have a worldview concerning origins, the meaning to life, our ultimate purpose in being here, level of morals/ethics/values , how we see our fellow man/woman , et al... which serve to shape and mold our daily life including decision making . Ergo, not only is politics inseperable from our personal religion in life , but so is everything else ; in fact ... if they are seperable, then we lack conviction about the most treasured things concerning our own Being.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:48 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,902,281 times
IMHO politics should be secular and should have no overt religious influences or "official" connections. So in that sense I do not believe that politics and religion must always be forever linked. I do not believe that a political system must always depend on a religious base for its existence.

However, I'm enough of a realist to see that American politics has a long long way to go before it becomes secular (meaning that it will no longer pander to one or another religion-affiliated voting bloc). Definitely not in my lifetime and possibly not in the next generation's either. So in that sense I believe that American politics as we currently know it is inseparable from religion.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:52 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,322,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Do you believe politics and religion are inseperable?
Yes I do believe they're inseparable and here's why. For many religions, their whole philosophy is based on incorporating that religion into every aspect of their daily lives, just as they do education, dating, marriage, raising children, and anything else pertaining to life you can think of. To ask them to do less is to dictate to them how to practice their faith, and if you change that, it's no longer their religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates