Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 02:20 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times

Advertisements

I personally haven't come to any definite conclusions about this question. But the harsh reality would be that we would be killing ethnic Chinese as well as them killing us. That is the reality of war plain and simple. I wouldn't expect Chinese restaurant workers to consider me in a friendly way since they would have a sound reason not to like me. The worst scenario would be an attempt on their part to contaminate ones food. I enjoy Chinese food but I think that if there was a war between us and them that I would think twice before eating in a Chinese restaurant.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:09 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
I think you are putting the cart before the horse, not thinking ahead and not seeing the big picture.

Did people in USA stop eating in Japanese restaurants during WW2?

Oh, wait, I guess they couldn't eat where there wouldn't have been any such thing. All the Japanese-American citizens and Japanese-Canadian citizens were rounded up, had their businesses closed, their properties taken away from them and they were imprisoned in the American and Canadian equivalents of POW concentration camps. So I guess there couldn't have been any real Japanese restaurants then.

If USA goes to war with China will the same thing happen to all of USA's Chinese-American citizens? Properties confiscated, businesses closed and the people put away in concentration camps? Will that happen with even the thousands of Chinese-American citizens whose families have been loyal, patriotic citizens of America for over 200 years?

In answer to your question, if USA goes to war with China there probably won't be any Chinese owned and operated restaurants for you to eat at, because I think we all know what will likely happen to those citizens.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:17 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I personally haven't come to any definite conclusions about this question. But the harsh reality would be that we would be killing ethnic Chinese as well as them killing us. That is the reality of war plain and simple. I wouldn't expect Chinese restaurant workers to consider me in a friendly way since they would have a sound reason not to like me. The worst scenario would be an attempt on their part to contaminate ones food. I enjoy Chinese food but I think that if there was a war between us and them that I would think twice before eating in a Chinese restaurant.
My son works at a Chinese restaurant. Its owners immigrated from Taiwan - ie, ROC, not PRC - in the late 1970s. Why on Earth would they be anti-American because the United States was at war with a country from which they did not immigrate?

I'm of German ancestry. In fact, my last name is one that invariably reminds people of the Third Reich. Yet the United States government had no issue employing my grandfather (same surname) building ships during World war II. Nor did they have any issue with conscripting millions of German-Americans. Hell, William Hitler - Adolf's nephew - served in the U.S. Navy during World War II.

I've never heard of poisoning at an Iraqi restaurant (in fact, I've never heard of an Iraqi cuisine, but I would guess that there are American restaurants that serve it). I've never heard of poisonings at an Afghan restaurant (and I've eaten a couple of times at Kyber Pass Cafe in St. Paul). There were Chinese restaurants during the Korean War, when American forces were engaged in combat with Red Chinese forces. Were there any poisonings then? Though there's never been a widespread German restaurant scene in the United States (though they do exist), Italian cuisine restaurants long pre-dated World War II, when the United States and Italy were at war. How many servings of spaghetti and calzones were poisoned?

The idea is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
In answer to your question, if USA goes to war with China there probably won't be any Chinese owned and operated restaurants for you to eat at, because I think we all know what will likely happen to those citizens..
You mean the same way all the Middle Eastern restaurants in the United States were closed during the Gulf War and the Iraq War? Because their Arab owners were all interred?

Oh... wait... that never happened. At all.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:08 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,442,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Yes I would..hopefully, in China!

Old 05-28-2017, 09:02 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times
This is the weirdest thing.

I find it disappointing when people can't separate the actions of a government from the people of a nation.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:12 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
This is the weirdest thing.

I find it disappointing when people can't separate the actions of a government from the people of a nation.

mmmm, Yea. The Chinese who are here have no love of the Chinese government. I highly doubt they would have any animosity toward the country if we went to war with China. They certainly wouldn't be trying to harm fellow citizens.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:18 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Well..As the saying goes. Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And given who is our seated leader. We are apt to see many atrocities repeated. Aside from that and in recognition of the actual question: no,it's not up for debate. unless they are violating a food service code ,they will be operable.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:40 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,284 times
I would order and eat General Tso regularly, that will teach him a lesson!

IMO General Tso is just chicken!

Old 05-28-2017, 09:57 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
I would order and eat General Tso regularly, that will teach him a lesson!

IMO General Tso is just chicken!
Cannibalism of an ancient general?

Old 05-28-2017, 10:01 PM

314 posts, read 486,868 times
This is terrible. I imagine a great majority of those working at chinese restaurants and establishments are either American citizens, lawful permanent residents, or have family members who are one of the two. I've read many books on the internment camps / detention of Japanese families during WWII. It devastated the communities and a majority of them were loyal Americans. Racism and opportunistic vultures won the day by plundering their assets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates