Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 03:19 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,040,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I agree with others that there are already enough penalties for smoking, but I think that what all the replies (rebuttals) to the OP come down to is this: Where should government draw the line between one's personal rights and the rights of others?

To be clear, I don't smoke and I HATE it when others do so around me because it gives me a headache and makes me nauseous BUT if smoking can be claimed as "assault", then what about "assaulting" others with loud music (or talking), or driving too slowly on the highway, not, or not keeping one's lawn in pristine condition, or even "just" being rude? Where would it end?
It ends where it begins, when people play God they exhibit intolerance.

A man without vices is just as lacking in virtues, A. Lincoln.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 03:20 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,825,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
With the increasing research and studies over the years that prove that it has negative health effects, why has our society as a whole, not adopted the mindset that it should be considered as such?
Wow....:ro lleyes:

Old 06-06-2017, 04:23 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,221,397 times
If you want to charge someone with assault, what about the inconsiderate drivers with the base bumping so loud it shakes the windows of nearby cars? You can get a ticket for that in some places.

I smoked for a lot of years back when I was self-destructive. It's still legal. I don't like to smell it but it's a free country. In a crowd there will be smokers.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:32 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,358,031 times
partially off topic: One of ur townships just held a meeting on fines for MJ possession. Lets say that the "townies" are Hip to rescinding any fines imposed. They want to give the MJ smokers a chance, to welcome them and to ultimately get a state Bill passed so we can start growing the wretched stuff and filling the senators coffers. I am bias on this topic and listened to a township supervisors ...who said it best: "I was voted in to uphold the regulations as they stand, to not intercede on state level laws"- "so anyone wishing to turn the other way on an item that is STILL Illegal to be in possession of , please do the community and Re-think your definition of ILLEGAL substance. -The room got quiet after that....Unless they were each stoned

ANyways this ties into the "smoking" portion because well...its a type of leaf that is smoked more often around kids to the point that even that generation has a Who cares attitude...

This concept of fining is all well and good for the ultimate goal. Where it has veered off path is with the pendulum now swinging the other way. Our township has indeed fined and even imprisoned a few citizens when they were in their car smoking with kids buckled in.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:33 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,681,862 times
The simple fact is this. Smokers are America's piggy bank. Need a new road? Add another penny to every pack of cigarettes sold. Need a new arena? Add another 5 cents to each pack.

Also why should I (full disclosure I quit 5yrs ago) be "charged" with assault because the wind changed direction?

I remember when I smoked I did everything I could to stay away from people. I swear the smoke was a magnet. I could be standing in another zip code and that was the very spot someone needed (read: wanted) to walk.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:20 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,067,261 times
Because it doesn't meet any reasonable definition of assault?

Old 06-06-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Because it doesn't meet any reasonable definition of assault?
What if I fart and it smells. Then it's assault right?? I'm guessing the OP is a liberal from California or other liberal crap hole.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:31 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,040,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
I think the only thing society has left to do to smokers is imprison them. If that doesn't work, then that's what the death penalty is for. Why stop at assault? Let's charge smokers with attempted 2nd degree murder. That will fix the problem.

Frankly, the average smoker has been humiliated, taxed, and ostracized to the limit. They have had people cross entire parking lots to where they cower behind the dumpsters in puddles of urine as it pours rain upon them just for a smoke, and then have to endure that person giving them holy righteous hell for smoking. This is not an exaggeration, ask any smoker. They have been yelled at for lighting up in wide open spaces 100 yards from another person. They have been fired by jobs, they have been left by lovers. Their pack-a-day habit runs them close to $300 a month, with most of it going to the government.

How about this? Do you own a car? Don't you realize you pump far more poison into the air on a typical day than a smoker ever will in his short, miserable, pariah life? We have to breathe that air, you know.
The taxes on tobacco is a scam, it goes down the Gvmnt drain.
They get little from me .
I roll my own, 1 lb of tobacco costs $14. Thats a BIG bag , it produces well over 1000 cigs.
They are getting less in tax revenue and believe smokers are quitting, they are wrong, they screwed themselves. Typical stupid Gvmnt.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
The taxes on tobacco is a scam, it goes down the Gvmnt drain.
They get little from me .
I roll my own, 1 lb of tobacco costs $14. Thats a BIG bag , it produces well over 1000 cigs.
They are getting less in tax revenue and believe smokers are quitting, they are wrong, they screwed themselves. Typical stupid Gvmnt.
WTF do you buy a 1lb bag of tobacco???

Old 06-06-2017, 05:49 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,067,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
What if I fart and it smells. Then it's assault right?? I'm guessing the OP is a liberal from California or other liberal crap hole.
I mean... I'm pretty ****ing liberal... The OP is wrong for non-partisan reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates