Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 06:42 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,328 times

Advertisements

C-Span I like to watch the person speak and not get someones interpretation of what they said.

Otherwise sunday morning news programs on network TV, all of them.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:32 AM

808 posts, read 541,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It never did exist. It was just more subtle in the past.

After all, bias enters immediately when a source decides whether or not to cover something, then how to cover it.
The bias in the past was not more subtle, it was more pervasive, and people didn't know enough to recognize it.

The media has NEVER been unbiased.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:40 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,328 times
It really comes down to educating yourself about your surroundings. Everybody has a different way of looking at things so even the most reliable truthful journalist reporting has to write what he see's, doesn't make it fake news.

The internet just makes it harder to determine what is really happening. I watch BBC and Al Jazeera sometimes and get a different take on things.

Continually saying Fake News is a form of mind control to turn a group of people against each other. I don't know what is happening around the world but I do know what is happening right in front of me and through my close friends and family in the military and police force. Not a post on Facebook.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:42 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Local news may have facts, but it certainly doesn't have "news" in any real sense. If you take out sports, weather, pet stories, human interest stories, car crashes, and fires - none of which is very newsworthy - there won't be much left.

You're right that Fox is blatantly biased. It was shown that people who watch Fox are more ignorant than people who don't watch TV news at all. But CNN is pretty factual.

However, I suggest you try PBS. Try the News Hour for news, and Charlie Rose for interviews.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:22 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Local news may have facts, but it certainly doesn't have "news" in any real sense. If you take out sports, weather, pet stories, human interest stories, car crashes, and fires - none of which is very newsworthy - there won't be much left.

You're right that Fox is blatantly biased. It was shown that people who watch Fox are more ignorant than people who don't watch TV news at all. But CNN is pretty factual.

However, I suggest you try PBS. Try the News Hour for news, and Charlie Rose for interviews.

(last sentence )......Mark Shields unbiased?

Seems every time he mentioned Trump's name he gets so upset he starts sweating.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:08 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Regarding CNN...........any one see the faces on a CNN News crew covering Georgia's special election ?

After it appeared the Democrat lost, they all looked like they were at a wake of a close friend.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:04 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,043 times
Biased news coverage isn't a new problem... I remember as a 7 yr old (1964) asking my dad why he was reading three different newspapers, and I was shocked when he told me each newspaper had a different perspective on the same news story, and that it was really up to us, to look under the surface and not believe everything we're told. I think because of the internet, it's much more noticed, but for sure, humans have always been led in directions that make power and control much easier and more profitable for those who rule.

I also wonder if being told such a thing at the impressionable age of 7 leads one to be more cynical about life, people and the world... I wouldn't have minded a few more years of blissful ignorance.

Today, I struggle to find the facts but I think Glenn Greenwald may possibly be one of the most unbiased journalists. I have seen him fairly criticize both left and right parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates