Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 12:17 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times

Advertisements

You've postulated a world of free food and power--pretty easy living. There really wouldn't be a need to work together--what would be the goal?

Aside from that, women tend to work collectively, so I doubt they would choose the male as supreme leader--especially younger women, who got force fed less of the male dominance garbage when growing up. On the up side, they probably would try to keep everyone alive instead of rejecting anyone just because they're weak. Some people are good leaders, some are good followers. Somebody would take the lead--might be the man, but more likely a woman who is older and has more world experience.

I think it's unlikely that the electric grid would stay on. My husband used to work for a power company, and it takes a LOT of people to keep it running. You might imagine solar power instead--but even that needs maintenance, and loses efficiency over time.

Have you seen the TV show "Last Man on Earth"? That deals with a post-disease scenario with few people left alive.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:19 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,630 times
A British TV survival show took 20 people, 10 males and 10 females and put all of them on a deserted island. The producers wanted a twist to the show, so they put all males on one side of the island and all the females on the other side of the island.

After about a week the women were all suffering from dehydration and malnutrition. One of their biggest problems was the lack of leadership. Instead of selecting a leader, they all fought over who should lead and never resolved it to find a permanent leader. For all practical purposes the individuals in the all female group went about their own way and never form a community effort to solve any common problems.

The island they were on was a tropical rain forest with plenty of water and food.

Mean while the men had established a source of water and food and had even built a few shelters and they had continuous fires that was the responsibility of one of the men to maintain.

The project was for 2 weeks and after the first week a few of the women had enough of their all female experiment and decided to find the male camp that was directly across that island about 10 miles. They started the hike and after 2 days they got lost and nearly died, they had actually went to the center of the island and started circling their position twice. Producers had to remove them from the island.

Now back to the OP question, the women will try to be in-charge but never will be. The male will be to young and in a short amount of time the whole group will splinter and go their own ways in groups of 3 and 4. The boy will just follow which ever women he likes sexually. Since there are no other men there the boy will never understand his position in a tribe and will never become any significant leader.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:58 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
they would kill him for being a man and how dare he, and feminism and stuff

Old 06-14-2017, 01:45 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
Envisioning a not-so unlikely scenario (given all that's happening with Trump, Russia, North Korea etc...) where a biological disease wipes out a small town in somewhere like the US or UK and only 20 young white women between 15-25 are left along with 1 boy who's is aged 18, what would the gender dynamics be?

Assuming that infrastructure doesn't collapse instantaneously (food in stores remains fresh, electricity runs) and the town does not receive any more inhabitants coming to rescue or settle there, how would more than a dozen women and only a single male cope?

I know from evolutionary biology females are more important in reproduction than males (1 man can impregnate 10 women but not vice versa) and with this situation, the group could theoretically survive the apocalyptic scenario but I'm more focused on how this society would function with 'roles'. I assume that those who consider post-apocalyptic scenarios rarely focus on how massive gender differences specifically with a deficiency in males impacts on roles.

Am I wrong to believe that the females would be the 'dominant' ones in this group not just for their numbers but for their desires and ability to gather resources? People say the women would elect the male as their leader and submit to him but if he refused to 'man up' and either provide them with their sexual, romantic and intimate needs then they would coerce him with loss of basic needs and physical discipline ? Could one scrawny 5ft 5in 18yr old boy overpower 20 girls who are mostly same and and height but have athletic skills along with street smarts ?
Read about the mutiny on the bounty, they took over the ship and found an uncharted Island. Pitcairn ?

They removed everything from the ship, burned it to the waterline and sank it so as to remain undetectable by the British Navy.

Most of the men were drunks and either killed each other or were murdered by the women they took up with.
Their descendants still live on that Island today.

Men do ok if they behave themselves but if they become untolerable the native gals will take care of things.
Smart women let you believe you're in control, they are skilled at letting you have things their way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr6U2wPz0Bw

Old 06-14-2017, 01:47 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
Who would be dominant in a post-apocalyptic scenario of 1 male and 20 females??
The female who has the key to the cage

Old 06-14-2017, 01:55 PM

813 posts, read 600,907 times
After spending a weekend digging up my mother-in-laws grease trap, mowing my mom's yard, figuring out why my sister-in-laws mower wouldn't run (don't put kerosene in a gas can), I have a feeling that poor guy wouldn't last very long.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:19 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
I'm hung up on all the girls having to be white.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:28 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
the kid would probably think himself pretty lucky at first but within a couple months would be seen high-tailing it down the road with his dog, a rifle over his shoulder and a case of beer under his arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They would all kill each other over video games and remaining hot pockets.
Hahaha! These are both true!

Old 06-14-2017, 02:40 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
We already had two genetically identical beings, male and female, as only choice. Humanity resulted.

Btw, there is something wrong about OP post. It's like a teenager dream, a fantasy. Me and harem of 15-16 yo girls...

Old 06-14-2017, 02:53 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I think it is funny how the OP starts off his scenario with Trump destroying the world or at least one town.
It would more than likely be a Democrat or Bernie supporter that runs amok because he hates Trump that does something stupid as we have seen recently in the news.

As for one guy and 20 women the women would run the show and the man would be labor and a means to have babies but not the old fashioned way, we are talking there is a room and a cup go for it bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates